RamWraith is offline Registered User

Linehan host free clinic

By Brett Grassmuck
    StLouisRams.com

Over the weekend, Rams Park was host to football coaches of all levels as Rams’ Head Coach, Scott Linehan, held his first High School Football Coaching Clinic as a head coach, and the National Football Foundation held its annual Coaching Academy for youth football coaches at the training facility.

“We wanted to be accessible to area high school football programs and show how important that is to our staff,” Linehan said. “We wanted to make sure we gave the St. Louis area a chance to get some hands-on (experience) with our staff and improve themselves. Hopefully we were able to do that.”

In the indoor practice facility, Linehan, along with Quarterbacks Coach Doug Nussmeier, Defensive Quality Control Coach Joe Baker, Special Teams Coach Bob Ligashesky and Offensive Assistant Jeff Horton spoke to several hundred St. Louis area high school coaches on a variety of topics from on-the-field fundamentals to off-the-field leadership.

“I think this is really about coaches getting better at what they do so they can affect the players,” Linehan said. “ I think the information that we share and the information that they are able to gather from the other coaches that are here is vital to improving themselves in the profession that they have chosen. It’s really big. I was in that seat at one point, and I know how important it was in helping me improve as a position coach and a coordinator.”

Even though they weren’t speaking, other members of the Rams’ coaching staff were available during the clinic for one-on-one or group discussions with many of the high school coaches.

“Yesterday, some of the coaches mentioned, and I’ll just reiterate it, if you are able to just pick up one little thing that you think may help you, then it has been worthwhile,” said Corey Johnson of Hazelwood East High School. “That’s kind of been my goal, and the goal for my staff is to identify one thing from each presenter and take that back with us and see if we can incorporate that and make it work. It’s an abundance and a wealth of knowledge, but if you can find one thing that works, then it has been a success.”

Other speakers at Linehan’s clinic included Johnson, Larry Kindbom of Washington University, Tim Dougherty of Edwardsville (IL) High School, John Pukala of Hazelwood Central High School and Jim Schottmueller of McCluer North High School.

“When you love and respect the game, and you dedicate a good portion of your life to teaching the game, you want to uphold that,” Johnson said. “You want that to be done right. That’s no different if you are in any other profession. If you’re a doctor, you want to be a good doctor.

“You want to keep the standards of that profession high. That’s what this is. We’re all coaches. We’re dedicated to this profession. We love it, and we want to keep the standards of this profession and the quality of this profession high.”

Just down the hall in the auditorium, the National Football Foundation held its 2006 Coaching Academy.

The Academy focused on coaching football at the middle school level and below and taught the youth football coaches how to develop better fundamentals in younger athletes from teaching tackling drills to handling athletes with special circumstances.

“I think when you’re talking about a coach, you’re talking about a teacher,” Linehan said. “It’s really important to teach players in a positive way to do the things the right way. To have them respond and do it the way you taught, translated on film as you watch the game film, is really fulfilling.”

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Linehan host free clinic

I knew a girl once that went to a free clinic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]