Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Re: Linehan on the hot seat just two games into Year 2

I think Linehan should definitely be on the hot seat. Ok let's be fair, the playcalling this week was way better than last, but it still isn't good enough. Why didn't we run more straight up the gut against their 3-4 defense with Steven Jackson to take the heat off Bulger, we passed too many times, especially with the line in the condition that it is. I know our rushing avg. was only just above 3 yards, but you have to run a little bit more anyway. Even if you get just a 3-4 yard gain it can take some of the air out of their blitzes - particularly in a close game like this there is no reason to get one-dimensional and try to do it all through the air. Another thing that has followed us under Scott Linehan is how our team is almost always worse after halftime (look at the last 2 games for quick reminders), during halftime the other team makes adjustments to slow down our offense and we always grind to a halt. Where are Linehan's adjustments for our offense at halftime? I could name a lot more specifics but I'm going to cut it short and just point everybody towards MFrankes excellent RamView which sums it up very nicely.

In conclusion there was marked improvement over last week and that does leave some hope, but it is unacceptable to still be waiting for our (offensive) coaching staff to land on their feet in week 3 of the season - guys there are only 16 games! We have to face the facts that we were just not prepared to play when the season started, we may get there, but it shouldn't take several weeks, we are seeing adjustments that should have been made in camp and preseason here. Linehan and Olson didn't do their homework before the season started, exactly like last year and I'm going to have to be harsh here and say that Linehan looks like a boy attempting a man's job, he just looks overwhelmed.

Now let's regroup and beat Tampa, there's no choice other than continue working, but knowing Linehan is in the driver's seat does not fill me with confidence.
    Last edited by RamOfDenmark; -09-17-2007 at 06:18 PM.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    He has?

The Rams have lost 9 of their last 13 games under Linehan.
    Av - you're posts are always witty, insightful, and to the point, but (especially for a lawyer) you have lost your objectivity here.

You say 9 of 13, using an arbitrary cut off: I say 10 of 18, which is more accurate.

Admit it , were it not for two bonehead plays by established vets, we're not having this conversation.

And Im not a huge Linehan fan, (I think he's OK, but the verdict's still out), but for this game, you just can't justify laying it on him.

I also think the term "outcoached" is very difficult to define. When you say a "good" team is beaten, (by being outcoached), by a 'bad" team, usually good and bad are defined solely by won-loss records. Funny bounces by the football don't count.

Bottom line, sometimes "it just ain't your day".
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    I think Linehan should definitely be on the hot seat. Ok let's be fair, the playcalling this week was way better than last, but it still isn't good enough. Why didn't we run more straight up the gut against their 3-4 defense with Steven Jackson to take the heat off Bulger, we passed too many times, especially with the line in the condition that it is. I know our rushing avg. was only just above 3 yards, but you have to run a little bit more anyway. Even if you get just a 3-4 yard gain it can take some of the air out of their blitzes - particularly in a close game like this there is no reason to get one-dimensional and try to do it all through the air. Another thing that has followed us under Scott Linehan is how our team is almost always worse after halftime (look at the last 2 games for quick reminders), during halftime the other team makes adjustments to slow down our offense and we always grind to a halt. Where are Linehan's adjustments for our offense at halftime? I could name a lot more specifics but I'm going to cut it short and just point everybody towards MFrankes excellent RamView which sums it up very nicely.

In conclusion there was marked improvement over last week and that does leave some hope, but it is unacceptable to still be waiting for our (offensive) coaching staff to land on their feet in week 3 of the season - guys there are only 16 games! We have to face the facts that we were just not prepared to play when the season started, we may get there, but it shouldn't take several weeks, we are seeing adjustments that should have been made in camp and preseason here. Linehan and Olson didn't do their homework before the season started, exactly like last year and I'm going to have to be harsh here and say that Linehan looks like a boy attempting a man's job, he just looks overwhelmed.

Now let's regroup and beat Tampa, there's no choice other than continue working, but knowing Linehan is in the driver's seat does not fill me with confidence.
    I love all this analysis. Pace ,Hill, Brown, Incognito and Stuessie being gone are completely ignored in all these "Lynch Linehan" posts. And don't even go (injuries are part ofthe game) there. Jackson flat had nowhere to run. A blind man could see it.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'll be there in Tampa to watch!
    Yeah, sitting next to me. S.L.A.P. and S.L.O.P.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

How predictable, and ultimately how futile.

A season after a two game improvement over the debacle that was Martz' last season in charge, a season where we've dropped our opening two games, Linehan is on the hot-seat. That he himself feels the pressure is understandable, he is a coach in a profession where winning is held to be the 'only' thing. That he himself recognises the fragile tenure associated with the head coaching position is realistic after a fashion in that he has seen the ravages of the short-term 'Win now' philosophy sported by so many hacks, media 'personalities', 'team' owners, and internet commentators.

But for me its ridiculous.

There are those on these boards and elsewhere who, inspired by the ghosts of seasons past and bloated by the fare they served, managed to blind themselves to the obvious shortcomings of this team. There were and still are, deep fracture lines in the fundamentals of the Rams that take more than a season or two to address. That we are better than we were is a given, that we have a right to start 2-0 and enjoy playoff action every season is not.

It serves a franchise ill to chop and change coaches on the weight of what effectively amounts to the bounce of an ovoid pigskin. Those franchises that avoid making those changes are invariably more successful than those who don't manage to do so. Those franchises that have the bravery to stick by their choices, to honour contracts, to invest faith in the people in their organisations and to nuture talent are the ones who taste success.

I am not happy to be 0-2, I am ordinarily a very poor loser, I played the game and I love the game, but if we start this boo-boy circus parade now and pull a moronic mid-season switch that will doom the team for the rest of this season and likely next, then we deserve everything that is coming to us.

And it won't be good.

So be careful what you wish for.

:l

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Well, after putting up with crap from **** fans after the game, I've made it back home.

We all know about the stupid mistakes; but the bottom line is the O line is in terrible disarray. I got very tired of seeing the blitz coming and the the O line could not figure it out; even with max protect.

The coaching staff needs to do something, anything to shore this O line up or we will not have a QB for the rest of the season. And as for the run game, it looked to me as if Jackson was reverting back to his old habit of dancing in the back field. There were a number of plays in which he would have been better off just lowering his head and driving for extra yardage instead of trying to bounce it out side.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

To avoid any further posts that mischaracterize, misconstrue, or simply misquote what I am saying, allow me to be perfectly clear.

To those who say Scott Linehan has received criticism for things that are not his fault: I AGREE WITH YOU.

My point is not "win now or fire the coach immediately."

My point is simply... well, its more a question than a point...

What has Linehan done in his career to make anyone here think he is a good NFL Head Coach?

If the answer is "I don't know, but he's the Rams' Head Coach, so I'm going to support him," that's fine. I can accept that. Indeed, on game day, I adopt that very philosophy.

But, beyond the "because he's our Head Coach" response, what has Scott Linehan done to prove himself?

The question may be a bit premature, I concede. But how long before we get an answer?

I guess all I'm saying is... maybe Shaw should put Bill Cowher on his Christmas Card list.

Just in case.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Off with his head, off with his head!!

This team is banged up, 2nd and 3rd stringers starting all over the field, players fumbling the rock all over the place and you want the HC's head two games into his second season?

Those guys played their azzes off on Sunday, with a make-shift O-line, a LB and BOTH starting CB's out, only to lose the game because a few guys can't hang onto the ball? I'm not giving up on the coach yet, but I am really pissed that Holt, Jackson and Hall can't hang onto the freakin' rock.

What has Linehan done to justify that he's a good head coach? His resume is 18 games long! Are you going to compare it to other notable coaches with decades of experience? For example, Bill Belichick (or is it, Belicheat?) who is a proclaimed HC "genius", compiled a 36-44 record while at Cleveland, and was 5-11 in his first year with the Patriots. What did he ever do in Cleveland, or after 18 games with the Patriots, to make New England think he was a great HC? I think the Patriots decision to stay with Bill worked out pretty well, don't you? Now, I'm not saying Linehan is the next Belichick, but I don't think the Ram organization/management is as football savy as the Patriots either.

BILL COWHER? Are you kidding me? Bill Cowher, aka; "The chin" was convinced for how many years that Kordell Stewart was a starting NFL QB? If we hire him, consider me an ex-Ram fan. No thank you.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Oy, you have to love people who actually read the posts they respond to.

Let's review:

Me: My point is not "win now or fire the coach immediately."

Response: you want the HC's head two games into his second season?

Maybe I should have put the word "not" in bold.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Linehan will be the ultimate scapegoat. But then he knew that when he signed on.

Sad thing is that no matter how good a coach is, it is ultimately the players who have to make the plays. The coaches can fill the roster with whatever players they think will best fit their (the coach's) schemes and coverages but the coach cannot make the plays. Bulger made the throw and Holt caught it. Happenstance was that a defender balled up his hand and was able to 'punch' the ball out of Holt's arm for a touch back. It seems to me that there was a Ram that had a chance at the ball before it went out of bounds in the end zone but that player didn't react fast enough. It was also unfortunate the ball entered the end zone instead of going out of bounds before it got to the end zone.

Brady had the ball knocked out of his grasp only to have it bounce back to him. TWICE!. Bulger wasn't so fortunate.

Hall's muffed punt game the whiner's a short field, but then they muffed one to us also.
    We knew when Linehan signed on that he had a 3 year contract, and he seems to be fielding a competitive team, just not one that seems to be able to hang onto leads or come from behind. Salary caps and free agency strive to create an "Any Given Sunday" league and has pretty much succeeded.

The season is young and maybe these first 2 losses can muster a sense of urgency in our guys even as we try to recover from the onslaught of injuries and maybe even polish some potential diamonds we have dug up.

It is game of opportunities missed VS opportunities taken advantage of a game of attrition, a game where one must get past bad calls and no-calls by the refs.

There is a saying that "Luck is the residue of hard work" and I have to believe that as long as our guys work hard and strive to succeed then we will have our share of 'luck' also.:l:l
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Oy, you have to love people who actually read the posts they respond to.

Let's review:

Me: My point is not "win now or fire the coach immediately."

Response: you want the HC's head two games into his second season?

Maybe I should have put the word "not" in bold.
    True, true...

Remember: ESCHEW OBFUSCATION

Nice cartoon, also!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

RealRam is offline Registered User

And rest assured the Rams players agree with your point, RnD. I firmly believe all of them respect and support Coach Linehan right now.

Particularly Holt and Hall. :x

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

But, beyond the "because he's our Head Coach" response, what has Scott Linehan done to prove himself?
    Well, he's installed an offense that allowed Marc Bulger to have his best year ever and Steven Jackson to have the 5th best all-purpose yardage total in NFL hisory. He checked his ego at the door in an effort to help his team by giving up the play calling duties. He's made improving the defense and special teams a priority with an emphesis on the draft and free agency to reach that end. He kept his team competitive and in the playoff race, coming one game away from the division crown in his first year after taking over a team in complete chaos. He's gained the respect and support of his players. He's done this in the most difficult of circumstances while never making excuses or laying blame on anyone but himself.

IMO, Scott Linehan has done more than enough to prove himself.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Well, he's installed an offense that allowed Marc Bulger to have his best year ever and Steven Jackson to have the 5th best all-purpose yardage total in NFL hisory. He checked his ego at the door in an effort to help his team by giving up the play calling duties. He's made improving the defense and special teams a priority with an emphesis on the draft and free agency to reach that end. He kept his team competitive and in the playoff race, coming one game away from the division crown in his first year after taking over a team in complete chaos. He's gained the respect and support of his players. He's done this in the most difficult of circumstances while never making excuses or laying blame on anyone but himself.

IMO, Scott Linehan has done more than enough to prove himself.
    Just to play devil's advocate, Bulger has been on pace for better seasons. The big difference was that he stayed healthy this time...but it wasn't like he took less hits compared to other seasons. He was still the second most sacked quarterback in the league next to Jon Kitna in 2006. In fact, Bulger's completion percentage in 2006 was actually the lowest it has ever been (not counting 2007 so far). He has also had a better quarterback rating in 3 of his 5 seasons as a starter, and he had higher average yards/attempt in each of those seasons than in 2006.

Any coach with half a brain would have made defense a priority on this team following the 2005 season. Arguably he didn't make it enough of a priority, spending 3 first day draft picks in the last two years on tight ends and a fullback/runningback. He kept the team in the playoff race by going 8-8 in a poor division, despite being blown out by most upper tier teams they played and getting swept by the Seahawks even though they were without Alexander and Hasselbeck. And lest we forget, several of those wins were because of last minute turnovers by the opponent. Linehan also put us on the receiving end of a shutout for the first time since 1998.

I agree with Avenger to the extent that I think Linehan hasn't done a lot to prove himself yet. I see signs that he could become a very good head coach. He seems to admit and learn from his mistakes, which is something not all coaches are good at. He seems to want to build a team that will be strong in all aspects of the game. I look at him the way I look at a rookie player. He has made some questionable calls, and at times he does look a little overwhelmed out there. The important thing is whether he shows progress.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    I love all this analysis. Pace ,Hill, Brown, Incognito and Stuessie being gone are completely ignored in all these "Lynch Linehan" posts. And don't even go (injuries are part ofthe game) there. Jackson flat had nowhere to run. A blind man could see it.
    Jackson ran the ball 21 times, Bulger passed 41 times. What would your plan look like, would you let Bulger drop back and take the hits every play? Bulger was hit hard all the time, we are lucky he got out with only a rib injury and likely won't miss games (yet). I would have run Jackson more, I don't care if he only gets 3-4 yards, it's a close game, either it will make them cool their blitzes of a little or they'll be taking chances and Jackson could hit a bigger gain. More short passes to Jackson would have been good calls too, he worked very well in the passing game last year getting around 90 catches, he only got 3 against the 49'ers (out of 41 passes by Bulger). I can understand Jackson's frustration, he's the engine of our offense and we didn't involve him enough.

I wouldn't exactly call my post a "Lynch Linehan" post either, I haven't called for his head (though I may do so after this season is over), I'm just saying he deserves to be on the hot seat. Switching the coach in the middle of the season is a desperate move and not one we should be making now, but I just think we have to consider the possibility that we picked the wrong guy to begin with.

This is the main part of my criticism:

"it is unacceptable to still be waiting for our (offensive) coaching staff to land on their feet in week 3 of the season - guys there are only 16 games! We have to face the facts that we were just not prepared to play when the season started, we may get there, but it shouldn't take several weeks, we are seeing adjustments that should have been made in camp and preseason here. Linehan and Olson didn't do their homework before the season started, exactly like last year"

Wouldn't you agree that we weren't ready to play, this year or last, when the season started? Wouldn't you agree that our halftime adjustments are lacking? That our playcalling makes questionable (at best!) use of the personnel that we have? And wouldn't those things be Linehan's fault?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast