Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Linehan on the hot seat just two games into Year 2

to answer your 3 questions- YES,YES,AND YES.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate, Bulger has been on pace for better seasons. The big difference was that he stayed healthy this time...but it wasn't like he took less hits compared to other seasons. He was still the second most sacked quarterback in the league next to Jon Kitna in 2006. In fact, Bulger's completion percentage in 2006 was actually the lowest it has ever been (not counting 2007 so far). He has also had a better quarterback rating in 3 of his 5 seasons as a starter, and he had higher average yards/attempt in each of those seasons than in 2006.
    Well, the fact is Bulger did have his best season ever under Linehan, culminating in being named to the Pro Bowl. He did it behind a decimated offensive line that gave up all those sacks that you mentioned, making it all the more impressive.

Any coach with half a brain would have made defense a priority on this team following the 2005 season. Arguably he didn't make it enough of a priority, spending 3 first day draft picks in the last two years on tight ends and a fullback/runningback. He kept the team in the playoff race by going 8-8 in a poor division, despite being blown out by most upper tier teams they played and getting swept by the Seahawks even though they were without Alexander and Hasselbeck. And lest we forget, several of those wins were because of last minute turnovers by the opponent. Linehan also put us on the receiving end of a shutout for the first time since 1998.
    The verdict isn't in on the defense yet, is it? Things certainly look to be improving to me. I guess we'll just have to wait and see before passing any legitimate judgements. As far as keeping us in the playoff race, as I recall we had some mathematical opportunities late in the season to not only win the division, but get in as a wildcard. It's interesting that you would make injury excuses for Seattle, yet neglect to give the same consideration to Linehan and the Rams, who had more than their fair share.

I agree with Avenger to the extent that I think Linehan hasn't done a lot to prove himself yet. I see signs that he could become a very good head coach. He seems to admit and learn from his mistakes, which is something not all coaches are good at. He seems to want to build a team that will be strong in all aspects of the game. I look at him the way I look at a rookie player. He has made some questionable calls, and at times he does look a little overwhelmed out there. The important thing is whether he shows progress.
    Besides not thinking Linehan has done much to prove himself, we can agree on the rest of what you've mentioned here.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

My mantra for Linehan is simple, and its not "FIRE HIM!"

Its "PROVE ME WRONG!"

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Guys,players win games not coaches.Linehan didn't fumble the ball through the end zone and he didn't muff a punt return or miss blocks that didn't open holes for SJ or protect Bulger from the beating he took.We won this game in the stat category (20 1st downs VS 8 for the whiners)and gain 200+ more total yards.The team played hard till the end of the game so theyplay hard for this coach.What more do you want from a coach?And those of you who think we are equpped with the same Talent we had in the GSOT years you're reaching.It's not even close.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234