Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Linehan knows talent??

Answer me this question.

Why didn't Linehan make a run for Wes Welker this off-season??

He got to see Welker perform on a daily basis in Miami but yet made no attempt to sign him. He would have came a lot cheaper than Bennett and has way more up-side. Hell the guy made a run at every other Miami/Minnesota cast off, why didn't he make a run at Welker?? He would have had a return man, third wide out and one hell of a football player.
    Last edited by RamWraith; -12-29-2007 at 11:32 AM.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Re: Linehan knows talent??

I wonder about some of Linehan's player choices as well, but there are many possible explanations. Perhaps the FO had some influence? Maybe Scott and (insert players name) have some problem? Yeah, it is lame, but so much happens that we do not know. GoRams!

itsguud is offline Registered User

I think Welker is a product of the system only. He wasn't doing much before signing with the Pats this year. Moss and Stallworth are opening him u quite a bit. I don't think having Welker over Bennett would offer any better solutions to our current problems except reducing our cap.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

That's a good question. I've always thought Welker was an underrated player, and he would have fit very well on our team with our needs. He's better than Bennett, no doubt there. However perhaps it all came down to the price, at the time I thought the Patriots overspent - Welker wasn't worth a 2nd round pick (now I'm kind of on the fence though, after the season he had, but it's still not cheap). Hopefully Linehan was interested and didn't pull the trigger because of the relatively steep price, if he wasn't looking at Welker at all that would be one more question mark next to his ability to evaluate talent.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I disagree. Welker is a talent period. He has heart, he is fast and elusive. He is a perfect compliment to Moss. He is no number one, but a solid number two and one of the best threes. He can play outside or slot and prevents any sort of double coverage in 3 and 4 receiver sets. He is what Az was. In my book Stallworth does nothing for Welker but Welker does everything for Stallworth. Watch the game and see today. He is a damn good player.

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    I think Welker is a product of the system only. He wasn't doing much before signing with the Pats this year. Moss and Stallworth are opening him u quite a bit. I don't think having Welker over Bennett would offer any better solutions to our current problems except reducing our cap.

Milan is offline Registered User

Maybe cause Welker cost the Pats a 2nd and 7th rounder along with a $6m salary for the year. All the while, not accomplishing anything in the season before the contract signing...Oh wait, that can't be the logical answer, it's cause Linehan is an idiot.
    Last edited by Milan; -12-29-2007 at 03:11 PM.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Linehan knew Welker, but maybe he didn't like him. Or, maybe, he called Welker and was told to go fish. Or, maybe when he contacted Welker, welker told him it would cost more than Linehan could pull off.

Then again, maybe Linehan is just a moron...

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Answer me this question.

Why didn't Linehan make a run for Wes Welker this off-season??

He got to see Welker perform on a daily basis in Miami but yet made no attempt to sign him. He would have came a lot cheaper than Bennett and has way more up-side. Hell the guy made a run at every other Miami/Minnesota cast off, why didn't he make a run at Welker?? He would have had a return man, third wide out and one hell of a football player.

I wondered the same thing. Not only would welker have fit in great at wr he would have solved our return needs and we would not have had to trade for Hall. This is a little hindsight is 20/20 but Welker did show flashes in Miami and thats why Brady wanted him.
    Just Fix It

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

Talking Go Red Raiders !!!

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    That's a good question. I've always thought Welker was an underrated player
    I wanted the Rams to draft Welker. He went undrafted.

As a Texas Tech fan, I figured Wes could be a useful player. I never expected he'd be a big part of a potential 16-0 team, though.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Thats a very good question. I guess that never crossed my mind.

Welker costed a 2nd and 7th round. But he's 26 years old, he's much better than we could have gotten in the 2nd or 7th round.

And now we have Bennett, how about, we just, don't talk about him, ok?
    RamsFan16

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Try and justify trading a 2nd round pick for him before the season. You wouldn't have done it would you?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think the key here would be that we'd have to trade for him. Welker was a restricted free agent with the highest tender. Bennett was unrestricted. Linehan wanted a big target. Welker is 5'9", Bennett is 6'5". Linehan probably wanted someone who could take over for Bruce. Welker was only a third receiver when Linehan was in Miami, and he only made the Dolphins after being cut by the Chargers in 2004. When Linehan was there, Welker couldn't beat out Marty Booker for a starting spot. Meanwhile, Bennett had been the top receiving option on his team for several years.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Linehand knows talent--thought this was a joke in the forum of a thread. First thing that came to my mind is how many TEs the Rams have and its OC. Hense i knew the answer before reading the question.

HOW Linehan has run this ship aground this year, tells you all you needed to know. THE Welker deal was a good one, which the Rams didn't exploit; a whole laundry lists of missed opportunities is on Linehan's resume. Seeing what the Rams gained from its draft and free agency, its easy to see how big not making a play for Welker was in terms of a missed opporunity.

Now with the Rams in a state of flux in ownerhip and front office, considering what a great job Linehan has done (sic) i am not expecting brilliance coming out of the off season

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I think the key here would be that we'd have to trade for him. Welker was a restricted free agent with the highest tender. Bennett was unrestricted. Linehan wanted a big target. Welker is 5'9", Bennett is 6'5". Linehan probably wanted someone who could take over for Bruce. Welker was only a third receiver when Linehan was in Miami, and he only made the Dolphins after being cut by the Chargers in 2004. When Linehan was there, Welker couldn't beat out Marty Booker for a starting spot. Meanwhile, Bennett had been the top receiving option on his team for several years.
    Thats because Bennett was the only option they had.

He had 3 TDs his final season at Tennessee.
    RamsFan16

Milan is offline Registered User

Honestly, a lot of you would have been complaining about getting Welker instead of Bennett. We needed Red Zone help, we grabbed a tall WR. We let Curtis go and nobody really cared because we had Bruce and Holt. Nobody knew how important it was for us to have a deep threat because he didn't get a lot of catches his way.

Hindsight is 20/20. You can pin a lot of things on Linehan but now you guys are just looking for anything to ruin what credibility he has now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast