Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Linehan, not Frerotte, fumbles away game

By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Monday, Nov. 26 2007

For the second consecutive season, the best that the Rams could come up with
    for a marketing slogan was the lame "I Believe."

I'm not entirely sure what they believed in.

But apparently that's over.

"It's unbelievable," tight end Randy McMichael said. "That's all I can say.
    Unbelievable. An unbelievable ending to a so far unbelievable season."

McMichael spoke soon after Rams coach Scott Linehan and backup quarterback Gus
    Frerotte frittered away a win for the home team. Instead, the Rams handed a
    24-19 victory to the grateful Seattle Seahawks.

The Rams lost again, making it 16 beatdowns in their past 22 games. The shame
    this time is that Linehan and the offense trashed a superb effort by the Rams
    defense. The increasingly creative defensive coordinator Jim Haslett surprised
    Seattle coach Mike Holmgren by cranking up a 3-4 defensive alignment on around
    50 of the 60 snaps.

Led by the berserk linebacker, Will Witherspoon, the Rams stopped

Seattle on nine of 12 third-down plays, forced five three-and-out series,
    bagged five sacks, hit Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck nine times, scored
    on a safety and made an interception. The Rams were victimized for one extended
    scoring drive the entire game, but received no help from the offense after the
    first quarter.

"The defense gave us a chance to put this game away early and we didn't get it
    done," McMichael said.

And near the end, despite running low on gas, the D sucked it up and stopped
    Seattle inside the 35-yard line to give Frerotte and the offense yet another
    chance to fail.

I realize that Rams president John Shaw supports Linehan, but at what point
    does Shaw have an honest conversation with himself and realize he's made a
    mistake?

The Rams just keep coughing up games, especially at home, and Linehan's clunker
    of an offense is the No. 1 reason. Isn't that why Linehan was hired: to
    maintain the offense?

Sure, offensive-line injuries are a problem. But the excuse shouldn't be used
    as a crutch to stave off critics. For example, Linehan watched right offensive
    tackle Rob Pettiti get trampled by Seattle defensive end Patrick Kerney until
    finally subbing in Brandon Gorin for the final drive. Why can't Linehan see
    what everyone else is watching — that Pettiti was Seattle's personal toll
    booth?

The futility is growing. Twice in Sunday's game, the Rams had a first down
    inside Seattle's 5-yard line. And despite being at the 1-yard line on both
    trips, they couldn't score a touchdown.

The Rams kicked a field goal to salvage a little bit of the first opportunity,
    which was complicated by Frerotte inexcusably getting flagged for a 5-yard
    delay of game penalty. How does a 13-year veteran allow the play clock to run
    out while standing at the 5-yard line?

And the second shot ended with Frerotte gagging up a fumbled snap on the Rams'
    final play, several steps from the end zone. But let's rewind for a moment; on
    first down Frerotte had Isaac Bruce standing clear for an easy touchdown but
    bounced the throw.

Linehan invested a nice chunk of money into recruiting Frerotte to be his No. 2
    quarterback. Linehan just had to have Gus. Sorry, coach, but when your man
    hacks up a win like this, it's on you.

Let's go back to the poor first-down throw. Bruce was the fourth receiving
    option on the play. Torry Holt, who was wide open in the back of the end zone,
    was the fifth option. What kind of offense is Linehan running when Ike Bruce
    and T. Holt are your LAST options? Holt and Bruce have combined for only 151
    NFL touchdowns.

Linehan's predictable play-calling drew some grumbles in the locker room. It
    was noted how Seattle's defensive backs began sitting on the sideline routes,
    realizing that the Rams rarely use the middle of the field.

Linehan is putting the players, and the fans, to sleep. The Rams are 0-5 at the
    dome this season despite being in strong position to win all five.

If Shaw brings Linehan back for more of this, go ahead and mark down the Rams
    for their first beating of 2008: it will be a huge loss at the ticket windows.

That's what I believe, anyway.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Re: Linehan, not Frerotte, fumbles away game

Excellent post, couldn't agree more.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Bernie and I agree...

Now I know we're in trouble.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Monday, Nov. 26 2007
    But let's rewind for a moment; on
    first down Frerotte had Isaac Bruce standing clear for an easy touchdown but
    bounced the throw.

Let's go back to the poor first-down throw. Bruce was the fourth receiving
    option on the play. Torry Holt, who was wide open in the back of the end zone,
    was the fifth option. What kind of offense is Linehan running when Ike Bruce
    and T. Holt are your LAST options? Holt and Bruce have combined for only 151
    NFL touchdowns.
    4th and 5th options??? How does Bernie know that? I find it very hard to believe that Bruce and Holt were the 4th and 5th options on that play. Who then was 1st, 2nd and 3rd option?

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    4th and 5th options??? How does Bernie know that? I find it very hard to believe that Bruce and Holt were the 4th and 5th options on that play. Who then was 1st, 2nd and 3rd option?
    Trufant, Tatupu and Kerney. Frerotte missed them too.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I disagree completely. I dont care what number options bruce and holt were the bottom line to me is that the play worked and gus failed to execute, end of story. Linehan did NOT fumble the ball, he did not miss the open receiver, he did not fail to generate any push at the point of attack on 3rd down to give jackson any room at all (as had been the problem all day long). Execution is our problem and it largely stems from the decimating injuries to our offensive line.

I want one person on this board to tell me that they would be bashing linehan right now if gus makes a 3 yard throw remotely on target and bruce makes the catch to win the game. I will tell you that if jackson runs 4 times in a row and doesnt make it people would be bashing linehan for not throwing when we had no success running up the middle all day long.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I want one person on this board to tell me that they would be bashing linehan right now if gus makes a 3 yard throw remotely on target and bruce makes the catch to win the game.
    I would still be very concerned about the failure to put the game away when we were up 19-7 and ahead in yardage 175-11. Just as I was concerned when the Rams managed to beat the Niners, but had allowed them to come within one play of beating us after we were up 13-3 in the second half.

Linehan has a problem keeping leads. He is way too slow to adjust and keep ahead of the opposition. That has been demonstrated time and again.

jquarando is offline Registered User

I disagree completely. I dont care what number options bruce and holt were the bottom line to me is that the play worked and gus failed to execute, end of story. Linehan did NOT fumble the ball, he did not miss the open receiver, he did not fail to generate any push at the point of attack on 3rd down to give jackson any room at all (as had been the problem all day long). Execution is our problem and it largely stems from the decimating injuries to our offensive line.

I want one person on this board to tell me that they would be bashing linehan right now if gus makes a 3 yard throw remotely on target and bruce makes the catch to win the game. I will tell you that if jackson runs 4 times in a row and doesnt make it people would be bashing linehan for not throwing when we had no success running up the middle all day long.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

That sums it up perfectly. The truth is we couldnt run the ball. Seattle geared up for the run and wanted gus to beat them and he didnt. You guys do remember the series earlier in the game where scott gave the ball to steven on the one twice and steven went backyards?

Also, bernie doesnt watch the games. I swear he doesnt.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jquarando View Post
    That sums it up perfectly. The truth is we couldnt run the ball. Seattle geared up for the run and wanted gus to beat them and he didnt. You guys do remember the series earlier in the game where scott gave the ball to steven on the one twice and steven went backyards?

Also, bernie doesnt watch the games. I swear he doesnt.

I remember it clearly Jackson ran on first down for one yard and than Losehan made a great call to our big bruising back on 2nd down. He called a toss sweep inside the five and Jax lost 4 yds. I guess we had the wrong personell for that play call too right. You dont call a toss sweep to a power rb inside the 5. You guys give Losehan way too much credit and not enough blame. But hey let's keep him just because he has a third year left on his contract great idea. Ive seen enough and why some of you havnt is beyond me.
    Just Fix It

Varg6 is offline Registered User

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I agree to an extent...We can't blame Linehan for the fumble, or the poorly thrown pass to a wide open Isaac Bruce in the end-zone, however...Even if we won that game, there is a reason why we're (would be) 3-8. We are not a good team because frankly when you're up 19-7, a good coach keeps it that way. With the two wins we've had, Linehan failed at keeping Rams fans away from nearly having heart attacks. I watched the Pats game last night, and I must say even though Andy Reid's Eagles lost...they put up a hell of a fight and yeah they have talent and all but they had a backup starting...Reid simply was outcoaching (even though they lost...) the Patriots and that is what we expected from Linehan...To keep this offense alive and the fact that he has yet to do that scares the crap out of me. That is what bothers me more than anything and of course the halftime "adjustments".

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Gus fumbles the ball and it's Linehan's fault. If the players don't execute, execute the coach I guess.

jquarando is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I remember it clearly Jackson ran on first down for one yard and than Losehan made a great call to our big bruising back on 2nd down. He called a toss sweep inside the five and Jax lost 4 yds. I guess we had the wrong personell for that play call too right. You dont call a toss sweep to a power rb inside the 5. You guys give Losehan way too much credit and not enough blame. But hey let's keep him just because he has a third year left on his contract great idea. Ive seen enough and why some of you havnt is beyond me.

If you could somehow find out what play was called could pull it up? I seem to remember him getting stopped in the middle of the field, but i think you are right that calling a sweep with jackson is a bad play but i also think running backs in the history of the nfl with the title power runner have scored on a sweep inside the 5. See what you can do about finding out that play. im super curious.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

We need to stop blaming our losses on player execution. That will always be part of the problem. We are just simply OUTCOACHED every week, even when we win it turns out to be closer than it should be. Linehan must go!

Go Rams!

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jquarando View Post
    If you could somehow find out what play was called could pull it up? I seem to remember him getting stopped in the middle of the field, but i think you are right that calling a sweep with jackson is a bad play but i also think running backs in the history of the nfl with the title power runner have scored on a sweep inside the 5. See what you can do about finding out that play. im super curious.

Here ya go it was a toss sweep and he lost 4 yds in the second qtr and that play was ran from the 1 yd line. St. louis Rams at 14:14 of the second qtr.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playby...007&week=REG12
    Just Fix It

theodus69 is offline Registered User

These posts are funny. And first and foremost(milk) this team is terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast