Rams Head Coach Scott Linehan

September 17, 2008

(Opening Remarks)

The out players are (WR) (Drew) Bennett and (WR) (Keenan) Burton. Burton did have the scope yesterday afternoon, everything went great, wasn’t anything more than what we thought. He’ll be out for the bye right now for him, we’ll see where he is at that point. (G) (Jacob) Bell and (DE) (Leonard) Little were limited in practice as far as their participation, but we’ll know probably by Friday, I would think, it might be a gameday decision, but probably by Friday.”

(On if there’s any lineup changes)

“Not anything yet. Even if we did we wouldn’t announce it.”

(On if there are going to more changes on the offensive side of the ball)

“Kicker. We’re not going to play (K) Josh Brown, he’s just too nervous going back to Seattle.”

(On why he doesn’t want to announce any of lineup changes)

“I don’t see an upside about having any personnel changes in what we do the week before. I don’t think there’s any upside to it as far as, given the information, it has nothing to do with giving it to you guys it has more for what we’re doing for the gameplan.”

(On the snowball effect of losing consecutive games and what’s different this week)

“Because we’ve only played two games. Really, every year is a different schedule and timing of things, all that stuff, and we didn’t play particularly well in our first two games, but we played two tough opponents that were probably preseason, Super Bowl, got a lot of accolades as to what they were going to do. We would like to be sitting here in a better situation after two games, but also knowing who we played, and it’s not like it's getting any easier, but I just feel, this is our first division game. Really all the goals we’ve set for our team are right in front of us at this point in the season. Every season, in my lifetime and it might be different for other people, but in my lifetime, has just had a unique feel or flavor to it and this will be no different in my opinion. The guys have been really, really responsive to rebounding and so we’ll see, but I just have a good feeling about it.”

(On the atmosphere and attitude on the first day of the work week)

“That’s great; actually it was really good. I didn’t expect any different, but you still have to see. Everybody in the building has to be consistent in that way and I think it’s been outstanding. Again, it’s early and we’d like to go back and have a couple do-overs, but that’s not the way life is and that’s definitely not the way football is so if we can keep our head and wits about us, we can really, really get something going at this point because it’s still early in the season and we’re in a good spot. We haven’t played in a division game. Last year after two games we had lost a division game already and those are all unique to this season. My feeling is it’s going to really improve as we go on here.”

(On if there’s anything more difficult than getting the momentum turned around)

“Head coach, player, sometimes if you get into that feel about being snake bit, you’re just trying to get something to go your way, then you’re just going to keep sitting there hoping. If you go out and execute you have that going for you and if you hope you’re not going to have the results you’re looking for. To me, it’s just about going out and doing and performing and it’s really that simple because if you do that then things will go your way, but if you sit back and wait or hope, the likelihood is you’re not going to change your current environment, so I think we have to have a lot of go out and do and get it done on this team at every level of the organization.”

(On if WR Donnie Avery has fully recovered from the knee injury)

“I would say 100 percent from what I saw today. I wouldn’t have said that last week especially Wednesday. He was surprisingly better Wednesday than we thought he would be. That’s why he ended up available on Sunday. He really didn’t take the reps you want a young player to take during the week of practice. He looks good to go now.”

(On what RB Brian Leonard has to do to be one of the 45 active players on gameday)

“Well he’s in a unique situation. I told Brian both weeks, it’s really not indicative of how he’s practiced or performed and at this point, he’s in a spot, and it’s really a special teams decision and a coaches decision by me. Last year we were able to carry four tailbacks because we carried two quarterbacks, so we kind of had that extra roster spot on Sunday. Because we’re carrying the three quarterbacks we’re in that spot where it’s either going to be running back or a DB or, in our case probably not a linebacker, but a running back, a DB, or a receiver. The first two games, I’ve evaluated the guys that were on the 45 and I’ve counted the plays so after two games of really seeing whose playing, whether Brian’s the odd man out or somebody else remains to be seen and I told Brian too it’s like anyone else, having a really good week on the special teams side of the ball that favors you for having you available on offense.”

(On if he is looking to young players for a spark)

“Yeah, I think young players are good that way. I think a lot of questions were about veterans and I think my comment was based on pretty much everybody taking accountability. Young players do bring energy that’s created just because of their youth and their effort and their ‘want-to’ and hungriness and all that. Young players can give you spark. You saw it in our second home preseason game with the two young receivers. I thought they really sparked our team, really kind of created the atmosphere offensively that we need and we’re going to need. So, yeah, I would think young players could really help us.”

(On if it is hard to commit to playing young players)

“Yeah, I think that’s what you’ve got to do. You have to make a commitment to do it and go with it. You know you’re going to have some growing pains with that, but right now we’re looking for guys to jump on grenades and jump on swords and do all that. These guys are just chomping at the bit to get in there. I’m excited about how we perform on Sunday really.”

(On if he anticipates Dante Hall returning kicks and punts on Sunday)

“Yes, right now. Right now, we just have not got our return game going, which was our strength last year as a team. We were top 10 in both, but I think we were No. 4 in punt returns and No. 10 or nine in kick returns a year ago. To the two teams’ credit, they both had a lot more time preparing for us than normal. I’m not saying that’s the case, but they really had a good kick placement plan. The Giants had a total of 13 return yards on the punt in the whole postseason last year. That punter just kicks the ball, basically, out-of-bounds, so that really wasn’t there. A couple of the kicks, we had a couple shots, but we just didn’t execute. The week before, every kick was hard to handle, so right now, what we have to do is really bear down on our ability to execute our return game and get Dante going, because I still think he can be one of the best in the league.”

(On the Seahawks leading the league in sacks and the challenge that presents)

“It’s a really tough challenge and they’ve always really been on their game at their place. That’s probably one of the best home field advantages, especially for a defensive line, because of the crowd noise. That’s going to be probably our toughest test and biggest match-up question of the game right there.”

(On if the pass rush is more than just DE Patrick Kearney)

“Both of their (defensive) ends had two sacks last game and I think one of their linebackers and one of their three rotating (defensive) tackles had one. It’s not like you can really double one guy, you have to take everyone into account and block their front. A lot of it is just being prepared to play there and not put yourself in those long yardage situations, because that is what they thrive on.”

(On how loud Qwest Field is and if he is taking different preparations this week)

“I think all of the road games, it was loud in Philly, too. Qwest Field is probably the loudest. A lot of noise working. It helps. It’s not the same, but you have to prepare for it. I think you mentally just have to get yourself ready to play for it. I don’t think the noise, to me, it’s as much mental as anything. I know the physical nature, being able to hear, but you just have to see the ball. Instead of hearing the snap, you have to just see the ball snapped. You just have to prepare yourself for it and know that that’s part of the deal. Teams have gone in there. San Francisco went in there last week and did it. Teams can go in there and can do it. We just have to go in there and be on our game on that kind of stuff. We can’t let little things like that hold us back and that has hurt us there.”

(On if he spoke with Rams owner Chip Rosenbloom about his statement of change within the organization)

“I did not see him. He talked to me a little bit about it. It was gracious of him to ask me. I said, ‘Chip, I know what position you’re in.’ Honestly, I don’t really know exactly the content of them, but I know it’s very difficult to be in the position he’s in, where he and his sister have taking over a team and we’ve started the way we have. I did get his support. I also don’t disagree with the fact that people need to step up.”

(On when he spoke to him)

“I talked with him after the game and then on Monday. It was actually before we had the press conference on Monday.”

(On what he spoke with him about)

“He just asked me what the plan was and what my thoughts were generally.”

(On using an “us against the world mentality” to gain momentum)

“I think that on a lot of different levels, there is a lot to be gained on us against the world. It’s not really the term, but as a unit, we can go in and you can really create a team bond that way. It really gets that way when you get on the road, because there is not a tougher place to play, there are a lot of tough places in my opinion, than in Seattle, because of what’s riding on the game. It’s always a key division game, but the atmosphere has to be something that you overcome.”

(On the seemingly different schedule today)

“The schedule is different. It was a different vibe today. We stayed on schedule. We had a lot of work to get done. It’s my birthday. I haven’t got a happy birthday from you guys, that kind of ticks me off.”

(On if he will have cake)

“I haven’t had my cake yet. I don’t look pretty good for 29, don’t I Jim? Yeah, probably. My wife is out of town, so I’ll be watching my kids. They’re demanding that I get home right before they get to bed tonight, so I’ll probably get a slice of cake in with the boys.”

(On the Seahawks secondary giving up a lot of big plays and on the Rams approach knowing that)

“Two games, they played kind of like we have. They probably had some inconsistencies and certainly we have. Teams have made plays on them and last week was a good example. Again, two games in, there’s a lot of things that might be areas of concerns but it certainly isn’t going to be your benchmark. It’s going to be how you play through the years. What happens there is the other team has made some plays on them and I’m sure they’re going to be working on it to limit them.”

(On if the offense is more complex than most other teams and on WR Keenan Burton mentioning how complex it is)

“Than Kentucky’s (offense)? Kentucky has a heck of an offense, I think, so I shouldn’t say that. I don’t know. I’m only in one thirty-second of the league’s offensive meeting rooms this time of year, so I don’t really know how to compare it too much. I’ve been part of systems as a coordinator for a lot of years. To me, complex is one thing, effective is another. Right now, I want to have the most effective offense we can have. It doesn’t matter if it’s 50 straight runs. We have to be effective. We’re going to be judged on how we score and how we move the ball and how we produce, really, more than the complexity of it.”

(On Seahawks QB Matt Hasselbeck mentioning that the Rams disguising their defensive formation is leading to guys being out of position and if he has considered making the defense more vanilla)

“I think what Matt sees is we’ve had some things where we have got ourselves out of position, because we are trying to do too much. I’m not saying do too much as a scheme, but in those particular plays, we have got ourselves out of position. There is some feast or famine to a complex, multiple offense and on defense. He’s right in that if you’re doing a lot, you’re getting out of position, because maybe we’re in a position that’s not advantageous for us as far as leverage in a play or something like that. We’ve really taken a good look at it. I think there’s always a place for getting good and hanging your hat on something. That’s what we’re trying to do.”

Rams QB Marc Bulger

September 17, 2008

(On what the atmosphere is like around Russell Training Center this week)

“Not many guys were here yesterday, so we went about our business this morning and…so now you go back out on the field and get ready.”

(On if there is more pressure on this week)

“No, we were asked that question last week; every week is a must-win. The first game was, last week was, this week will be if we win, next week will be. We don’t approach any game differently in this division because it’s a must-win every game, it’s must win in the NFL.”

(On how he is anticipating the weather and fans in Seattle)

Yeah, we’ve had decent weather since I’ve been here, I know that, but it’s just noisy; they get going early in the game with the pregame ritual they do and the 12th man stands up there and whoever it is, it was (Seattle Mariners player) Ichiro Suzuki one year or they always have a guest and they thrive off that. If they can get up early it gets even louder and close games it’s loud. We’ve had some great games up there and there was a playoff game and that time we came back and just every time we go up there it seems to get louder and louder.”

(On if he notices that Seattle is the only stadium that keeps track of false starts)

“I’ve never noticed that, but it doesn’t surprise me. I was watching, I got home to

watch the end of the San Fran game up there and you could barely hear the announcers that’s how loud it got in overtime.”

(On what he thinks WR Dane Looker brings to the table)

“He’s consistent, he knows what he can do. There’s plenty of guys that can run fast and have great athletic ability, but if you don’t know what you’re doing you’re worthless. He knows every position not just ‘Z’, he knows ‘X’ he knows ‘Y’ and he’s just consistent and reliable and that’s what we need right now on our team.”

(On being sacked 10 times)

“Yeah, it’s a lot of hits. We don’t want to continue that so we try to get our running game going and open up passes and we’ve got to get in a rhythm to be balanced.”

(On how he is doing)

“Yeah, a little sore, but I’m not injured.”

(On how he feels about Seattle leading the league in sacks this year)

“Yeah, they’re good up front, as usual. Kerney is one of the best. They’ve got a good linebacking corps and corners are good, so sometimes there’s coverage sacks. I know San Fran threw the ball a ton last week and I know they got eight sacks or something like that so I think that’s probably why they lead the league, but I don’t want to take anything away from them. They’re good and they’ve played together a long time.”

(On if he felt like he was starting to get into a rhythm and what happened on his incomplete pass to WR Dane Looker)

“Yeah, that was a busted play; he wasn’t even in the read. But we have to get in a better rhythm. We haven’t been there in the two regular season games at all, so I think that it will be evident to you guys and to us if we get into that rhythm, but we just haven’t hit it yet.”

(On what they’re practicing to help them get into the red zone)

“Just practice. I don’t think I’ve ever had a situation where you work to get into the red zone. It’s always you work on red zone or third down. I think Week 1 we had nine third-and-10 pluses and last week I think we had eight third-and-10 pluses and I think that gives you your answer right there. We have to do a better job on the first and second downs.”

(On what he thinks he’s doing well on and not so well)

“There’s a lot of things I’m doing well and a lot of things I’m not. I’m not going to stay here and try to explain and I’m not going to get into that game.”

(On he reacts to the media coverage surrounding the organization and what kind of effect can it have on the locker room)

“I think it affects guys different ways. I can’t control that. There’s a lot of things out of my control and I have to do my job. What happens with the ownership or upstairs it’s out of your control, so you have to prepare, get the gameplan you have, study Seattle, and try not to get too caught up how bad things are right now. You just have to keep grinding and find a way to get out of this hole.”

(On if he puts his head down and keeps going)

“Keep your head up and keep going.”

(On P Donnie Jones’ performance after his knee injury)

“He grinded through that knee injury last week and punted the ball well. He’s been banged up and I know (WR) Keenan’s (Burton) banged up, so I think it’s just one of those deals where young guys in this league usually didn’t have to play through the season, they’re not used to playing such a long season, so hopefully these are the end of the injuries for those guys and they can come contribute, but (WR) Donnie’s (Avery) going to give us a spark. He still has a lot to learn with the offense, so we’ll have to pick and choose when we put him in there, but I think he’ll provide some speed that we need.”

(On if he sees anything in the Seattle’s secondary that they can take advantage of)

“There’s things every week. It’s just a matter of doing it. I watched that game on Monday and I know exactly what Dallas did with that long touchdown. The corners were sitting on their guys a little bit on a couple routes…certainly there’s things that we see that unless we can do them it doesn’t matter.”

(On if it complicates the offense when they rotate all the WRs)

“It does, but again, there’s not need to get into excuse making, we just have to do better job and make plays.”

(On if he thinks WR Torry Holt’s catch turned things around for the team last Sunday)

“It did for that couple minutes. We were looking for a spark and Torry provided it and (LB) Chris Draft went down and did the same so we had some momentum going and then they kind of took the game over. We have to put a quarter or two quarters together before I think you’ll know that things are turned around, it can’t just be one play.”

(On if Seattle blitzes much)

“Yeah, we considered blitzes from the secondary and they don’t do a ton of that, but they ‘dog’ a lot with the linebackers. They do a lot of that. They stunt a lot. They’re front four is good, they get in there, (MLB) Lofa (Tatupu), (OLB) (Julian) Peterson, he’s pretty much a down lineman at linebacker so he won’t necessarily have to blitz, but they do a lot of ‘dog’.”

K Josh Brown

September 17, 2008

(On if he keeps in contact with former teammates from Seattle)

“I talk to everybody up there. I’m still in touch with Matt (Hasselbeck) and all of the guys there. I talked to Mack Strong last night, texting guys back and forth, especially when they’re having good games. They’re still my friends and I still want them to do well, regardless.”

(On if anyone could have predicted both the Rams and the Seahawks starting 0-2)

“It’s making it a little easier to walk into that stadium, that they’re 0-2, with the situation here. What can you say? The only thing I can do is what I can control. This team has a lot of talent and a lot of spark and we have to put a complete game together, we really do and this is a great opportunity to do that against a team that is wounded. We have to take advantage of that.”

(On if he is encouraged by his good start to 2008)

“I am encouraged. I have a good unit in front of me. I have a good 10 guys to protect me. I have a good couple of holders. I’ve had to use Dane (Looker) the past couple of weeks because Donnie (Jones)’ knee is hurting him. We don’t know if that’s going to change. Donnie is punting well. As long as Donnie keeps punting like that, he doesn’t need to be worried about holding, Dane can come in there and do a great job. Things have been good. I have never been a numbers guy. I have never been a guy who pays attention to the stats. I know if I miss in a game, things went wrong. That’s it. That’s all I need to know. I am happy with the way things are and I just want it to continue.”

DE Chris Long

September 17, 2008

(On his preparation for this Sunday’s game in Seattle)

“I just come out and practice as hard as I can. At this point in my career, you do a lot of game-planning, but also you need to focus on yourself. I’m just going to prepare the same way I have thus far and I’m excited to go play there.”

(On getting his first career sack against the Giants)

“It was cool to get that monkey off my back. Now people will start giving me a chance saying I might be a good player. All of a sudden, he gets a sack. He’s going to be okay. That’s the way things go. It takes a little pressure off, I guess. I just try to help the defense out.”

WR Dane Looker

September 17, 2008

(On his words to his teammates in the locker room after the New York Giants game on Sunday)

“I’m not the guy who steps up vocally that often, but I just wanted to let our team know that we’re good enough. We don’t need to accept losing. Just because you’re 0-2, doesn’t mean it has to turn into 0-8 like it did last year. I wanted to try and nip that in the bud as a soon as I could and as soon as we can as a team. This league is funny. When you get momentum going in the right direction, you do well, and when you get it in the wrong direction, you seem to slide. We can’t have that happen. We need this win very badly. We’re going to go out there and give it everything we’ve got; 0-2 isn’t the end of the world, it’s a long season.”

(On if that is what he was trying to convey to the team)

“You always have to believe that you’re going to win and you always have to believe that you can turn things around. Once you get down in the dumps as a team, people feed off that and it goes in the wrong direction. I don’t want that to happen.”

(On what can change that direction)

“I think you saw it in that game last week. We weren’t doing really well offensively or defensively and Torry (Holt) stepped up and made a big play. You could just feel the energy in the stadium turn in our favor. Then Chris Draft went down there and made a great tackle inside the 20 (yard line) on the kickoff team. The buzz in the stadium, you could just feel the energy going in our favor. That’ll change things in one wink. You can do that in a season. One play can do it in a game, but one great win and one great effort can do that in a season.”

(On Rams Owner Chip Rosenbloom putting the organization on notice)

“I feel the onus is on the players. Coaching can do everything they can. They’re here until two o’clock in the morning doing what they can to put us in position to win games and (Head) Coach (Scott) Linehan is doing everything he can in his power to make sure we put the best product on the field. I’ll never hold a coach responsible for anything I do on the field. If we can’t win, we have to figure out ways that we can win. That’s making plays on the field and I think it’s unjust that a coach would ever get credit for the way a team performs.”

WR Donnie Avery

September 17, 2008

(On how tough the transition is from college to the NFL)

“OTAs and mini camps really play a big part in that as far as knowing the playbook and stuff like that. Now it is just about running the plays and having fun with what you do.”

(On what he expects from Seattle)

“I asked the guys and they said Seattle is a hectic stadium but at the same time it is about studying film and just studying your opponent and just going out there and just playing.”

(On what he will be able to do in the game)

“They are changing some things up a little bit and me and (WR) Torry (Holt) will be on the field at the same time some plays and stuff like that so we are just going to go out there and just do it.”

(On if he feels comfortable playing either WR position)

“Oh yeah, it is just about going out there because they are just calling the same play.”

Seattle Seahawks Head Coach Mike Holmgren

September 17, 2008

(On the Wide Receivers getting hurt in Seattle)

“It is very unusual, it has never happened to me before. You get thin at a position and that happens. You lose a really fine player and that happens. Our top six wide receivers, we lost them and it has been an unusual start to the year but the spirits around here are still good. We are a little disappointed in how we started, but it is a long season. Hopefully we get a few guys back after the bye.”

(On if T Sean Locklear is practicing)

“He is going to practice today in a limited fashion but we can get him back on the field so that is good.”

(On if WR Koren Robinson and Kerry Colbert will play in this week’s game)

“It is not very realistic but like I told them, ‘so what!’ We are going to push them out there and we don’t have a choice really. It is not altogether fair but that is what it is this week.”

(On QB Matt Hasselbeck’s play this year)

“Over the course of his career he has typically been in between 60-65 percent and in our offense, what we ask him to do, that is where it should be. Now it is below 50-percent and he hasn’t changed, so what I am thinking it is, we have had so many combinations and we have had to change some things around. He is doing a great job. In situations like this, the leadership ability of your quarterback is hugely important and I could not be more proud of a player than I am of Matt Hasselbeck right now.”

(On the status of the Seahawks defense)

“We have given up touchdowns that necessarily wasn’t the defense’s fault. Last week the ***** returned an interception for a touchdown. In week one there was a punt returned for a touchdown and there was another special teams touchdown that they got. Having said that, I expect our defense to play better. Those are all the guys that are relatively healthy, those are all the guys that came back pretty much intact from last years defense. We had high expectations for them and right now I expect them to carry a little bit of the load and they know that. They are good guys and we have made an improvement, I thought, from the first week and now we have to continue to improve. We are well aware of the Rams offensive fire power so we have to gear up and try to do the best we can against them.”

(On why they are so affective at getting after the quarterback)

“I think we have (DE) Patrick Kearney, who gets a lot of sacks, who is at one defensive end and really a fine player. All our linebackers are going to be asked, at one time or another, to rush the quarterback and they are good at it. You get linebackers that rush the quarterback and some are good at it and have a little better feel than others at avoiding blockers and making it tough on the backs or whoever is picking them up. I think our guys have a good feel for that. Leroy Hill is good at it. Julian Peterson is certainly good at it and than he puts his hand down in nickel situations at times. I think that the group is pretty good and Kearney is the one that kind of stands out.”

(On the fans reaction to the teams slow start)

“I don’t get a great feel of that because I don’t read anything or listen too much. So I can kind of get lost in my own little world during the year, whether we are playing well or not playing well. Our fans are great and they have been very loyal to us. I think they appreciate the effort on Sunday even though we lost a tough ball game. It is going to be very loud again on Sunday. One of the things I feel really good about is how we built up the fan base and how they feel about going to the games now. When I am all done, I will look back and feel good about that.”

(On what reaction K Josh Brown will receive from the fans)

“I am not going to tell you but I kind of think I know what reaction he is going to get. He was a very popular guy here and I think he broke a lot of hearts when he left. I will leave it at that.”

(On if he was surprised when Josh Brown signed with the Rams)

“Yes I was. I don’t usually enter in the negotiations or the money part of it but in Josh’s case I did. He asked me to and I did. I was very surprised because I thought we worked out an understanding and than before I knew it he was gone. Every player has his reasons for doing things like that and I am not going to judge that. Those are personal reasons but I like Josh, he did a great job for us. I know last week he kicked a couple long field goals so he is a very capable guy.”

(On Coach Scott Linehan’s comments earlier this week)

“I think every coach has a certain confidence level, more often than not they don’t talk about it publicly. I will probably mention that.”

(On if his final season has lingered over the team this year)

“It is business as usual. Before I came back for this last year we talked long and hard about it as a family and once the decision was made, my approach was the same as it was every year. I think that is to the fairness of all the players and the staff and everybody. The players have handled it beautifully and the coaches have done a great job. Jim Mora, who is going to be the next head coach, is coaching the heck out of the secondary right now and that is his responsibility. It is a unique situation but everyone has bought into it and I don’t think there are any changes. I think it is business as usual.”

(On how RB Julius Jones has played so far)

“We had to do something. Last year we were not good running the ball and we became one dimensional and so we tried very hard in the offseason to address that. Julius is one of the things we did. He and Mo Morris, who is also injured right now, did a nice job. It was a nice tandem at the running back position. Julius had the game to himself last week and I think he did a great job. He is a good back and our line is playing better. (G) Mike Wahle is an addition at left guard and he really added some experience and attitude to the offensive line. We lost our right guard and we haven’t had our right tackle but I think we get the right tackle back pretty soon. When we all settle in here and get rid of this injury bug, I think our running game will be really good this year and we need it to be. Balance is important to us with moving the football.”

(On what he saw from San Francisco WR Isaac Bruce last week)

“He killed us. That was the difference in the game. He caught four balls for 160 yards and they were all big plays. I loved Isaac Bruce since I wanted to draft him when he was coming out of college myself. He was my No. 1 wide receiver coming out of college and of course he went to my No. 1 rival. Over the years I have seen him catch too many passes against me. I really respect the young man and he had a great game against us. He may be a little bit older but he sure had a good game on Sunday.”

(On San Francisco Offensive Coordinator Mike Martz last week)

“They came out winging it. He likes the young quarterback he’s got and he ran the ball just a little bit more in our game but he should. The have Frank Gore and he is a fine runner. But Mike is a bright guy and a very good play caller and he did a nice job against us in that game.”

Seattle Seahawks QB Matt Hasselbeck

September 17, 2008

(On dealing with the injuries at the wide receiver position)

“It has been definitely unusual starting back to the first day of mini camp because we did not have (WR) Deion Branch because of his knee injury. We didn’t have (WR) Bobby Engram due to a holdout. It has been that way since day one, we are just trying to deal with it this whole time. A lot of new people, a lot of new faces and a lot of turnover on our roster and a lot of new coaches as well, so it has been just one of those years where we have been just trying to get to know each other and I think each day that we are together, we get a little better and more comfortable.”

(On how tough it is to get a rhythm with new wide receivers)

“I don’t think it has been too bad actually. I feel good about the guys we have brought in. We had some work together and as long as you run the proper route and get the right split and do it the way your coach asked you to do it, it is not that hard. Obviously, the preference would be what (QB) Marc Bulger and (WR) Torry Holt have, they have a long history together and a lot of experience together, that would be the preference but that is not what we have right now and that is ok. It is just a matter of being a bit more precise and just making plays when you get the opportunity.”

(On how much playing time WR Kerry Colbert and Koren Robinson will get)

“Under normal circumstances probably not but in the situation that we are in, yeah definitely. Both of those guys, even today, this morning in practice, showed a lot of speed and a lot of explosiveness catching deep balls and stuff like that. It was good to see.”

(On what are some problems that caused a 0-2 start?)

“Nothing abnormal for us. We struggled a little bit communicating on the road in our first game. I don’t know how many third downs we had but I think all but two of them were third-and-7 or more. We had like third-and-31, third-and-28, third-and-22 and you can’t do that to yourself. This last game could have gone either way. We did not score touchdowns; we scored field goals and turn the ball over. You can’t do that stuff.”

(On if the fans are going nuts over the 0-2 start since they’ve been spoiled with winning the division the past four years)

“No, there’s definitely no panic here. I still believe we’ll win our division. We’ve done it every year for the last four years and I don’t think it will be any different this year. We’ve just made it a little harder on ourselves, but definitely I would say no one’s panicking. We’re still feeling good about ourselves. We’ve hit a little bit of stretch with some injuries and kind of gave one away last week, but I think we feel good about our team, feel good about our chances and that has not changed.”

(On if that is a prediction on the division title)

“I think that is probably, I’m just saying I read a quote today on a bulletin board here, no it’s not that, it’s less than that one.”

(On if the quote was something that the Rams head coach said Monday)

“I didn’t see whose name was attached to it; I didn’t see that.”

(On if it had anything to do with beating Seattle)

“I don’t recall.”

(On what he sees with the Rams giving up a big yardage in the passing game)

“I think one of their strengths is also one of their weaknesses. They do a nice job in disguising things, but if you look at the big plays they all seem to come when they’re trying to disguise and if they would just line up and play, they probably wouldn’t be out of position. They’ve got good talent, they’ve got good coaches. You see in particular in the Philadelphia game and also the New York game, guys are just trying to run back to their spot after disguising and if you get speedy receivers or if you get a quarterback that can throw the ball in time that’s just a tough thing to defend.”

(On why he thinks it’s so tough to play at Quest field)

“It’s a long way to go, that might be part of it. Another part of it I think our defense definitely plays well, they’re kind of a speed defense, we’ve got kind of a speed turf. We thrive on that defensively and then I don’t know. I guess we stay at a good hotel or something.”

(On his thought on this being Mike Holmgren’s last year)

“I know at training camp we had to answer a lot of questions about it, but I don’t think it’s something we think about on day-to-day basis. If anything we don’t bring it up. Mike might bring it up from time to time in a humorous way, but it’s never in a serious light. In his own humor he’ll throw little jabs in like, ‘don’t think I won’t find you, I’ll find you, I’ll get my moneys worth out of you before I get out of here,” just sort of jokes. So I’d say its business as usual for us.”

(On the retooled running game)

“We ran the ball really well last week. I think that’s part of the transition that we’re talking about. We have all new running backs, really. We have a new running backs coach. We have two new offensive line coaches. We have retooled our scheme a little bit. We’re not the same running scheme team that we’ve been in the past. We’ve added some things. We’ve added some wrinkles. We definitely have a little bit of a different personality that way. Personnel-wise, we’ve added (G) Mike Wahle, who’s definitely been a huge asset that we’ve added. It’s good to have him. It’s good to have all those guys. We probably look a little bit different to our fans.”

(On the five new coaches on offense and its effect on the players)

“Again, I think it’s just getting everybody on board and getting everyone on the same page. We have the same head coach and coordinator but our position coaches are mostly different or at least they’re coaching somewhere different. I think it has been a little bit of a transition with the players who have been here and then the new players we’ve added to just really come together. I think it has a little bit to do with having a great preseason. I don’t know what our stats were but we had a great preseason. I think we’re off to the right start, but we just have to continue to work on things, continue to get better, continue to get to know each other and blend all of this new stuff we’ve got with the old stuff that we were good at. Hopefully, we can just start playing better football.”

(On if he consider the Rams rivals)

“When we first got into it, (the Rams) owned it. It was their division and maybe (QB) Jeff Garcia and (WR) ‘T.O.’ (Terrell Owens) up in San Francisco, maybe they had a shot. That’s kind of how this division was. It was very, very tough to get a win against St. Louis on the road or at home. They had a great quarterback and they had great receivers, the ‘Greatest Show on Turf,’ (DE) Grant Wistrom, those types of guys. I think slowly but surely we were able to improve as a team. We kind of stole some of the players from the Rams, (DE) Bryce Fisher, Grant (Wistrom), guys like that. They really helped us. They helped us a great deal. We started winning some games there. I think it’s definitely a game that is circled for our fans. The Rams, *****, Arizona, I think the NFC West, although nationally it doesn’t get a great reputation, I think there’s been some great games. You guys have our old friend (K) Josh Brown now. I’m sure the fans will be excited for that as well.”

(On if Josh Brown will receive a warm Seattle welcome)

“They’ll boo him and they’ll throw things at him. They’ll probably make him cry to be honest. I know Josh. They’ll probably make him cry.”

(On why the Seahawks pass rush is so effective)

“We have good pass rushers. (DE) Patrick Kearney is very good. We drafted a first round pick this past year in (DE) Lawrence Jackson. Even our guys, (DE) Darryl Tapp doesn’t get a lot of recognition, but he’s a great pass rusher as well. We even have a good linebacker in Julian Peterson that when he puts his hand down, he’s a great rusher as well. I think our (line) backers are good blitzers. Some linebackers are good at blitzing and some aren’t. Leroy (Hill) and Lofa (Tatupu) both are very good at that.”