RamWraith is offline Registered User

Linehan puts Timmerman, McCollum on notice

R.B. FALLSTROM
    Associated Press
    ST. LOUIS - Together, St. Louis Rams offensive linemen Adam Timmerman and Andy McCollum have 25 seasons in the NFL, along with the wear and tear that goes with it.

The combination of experience mixed with the liability of age and tossed further by a coaching change has put them on notice that their time may be winding down. Coach Scott Linehan wants competition on the offensive line and Timmerman, the right guard, and McCollum, the center, both veterans of the team's last Super Bowl appearance in 2001, know it's about what you've done lately.

"We've got some guys who are toward the end of their career with Andy and Adam," Linehan said. "We're certainly glad to still have them, but we also know there's some young guys that have been brought here for a reason that are going to be pushing for starting roles.

"So, everybody knows they've got to play at a high level to keep that spot."

Timmerman, 34, recovered from operations on both shoulders and a knee to start all 16 games last season. He's been to two Pro Bowls and is durable, carrying a run of 173 consecutive games into this year.

He's also shed 10 pounds, reporting to training camp at just under 300, by cutting out junk food like doughnuts and carbonated beverages. The leaner the better for Timmerman, who underwent another knee cleanup procedure in the offseason.

"I don't feel like I'm 25 years old, but it feels pretty good," Timmerman said. "As good as could be expected."

McCollum, 35, also started every game last season and has 144 career starts on the interior line. He had two starts at left guard for the 1999 Super Bowl championship team and started every game at center for the 2001 Super Bowl team.

Like Timmerman the previous year, McCollum had cleanup surgery on both shoulders and knees in the offseason. He's ready for the competition.

"You've got to come in with that mindset every year, I've always thought that way," McCollum said. "That's the only way to approach it.

"You've got to prove yourself every year, I believe."

McCollum, who signed a two-year contract in the offseason, expects no special favors as nods to his longevity.

"I've never been a big-time guy like Orlando (Pace)," McCollum said. "You've got to show others you're the best man for the job."

Timmerman takes Linehan's words as a challenge from a coach unfamiliar with their contributions over the years.

"He hasn't been around us, he doesn't know what we're all about," Timmerman said. "Competition never hurt anybody."

He's not surprised that Linehan would suggest he and McCollum are close to retirement, although the team's depth chart probably dictates that only one is in any immediate danger.

"I could have probably told him I'm closer to the end than to the beginning, that's for sure," Timmerman said. "I guess I didn't really need him to say it. It's kind of obvious, maybe."

Among those in the competition are Richie Incognito, a third-round pick last year coming off knee surgery that sidelined him his entire rookie season. Incognito began training camp as the starting left guard ahead of fellow second-year man Claude Terrell, but could be used at the other guard or center.

Blaine Saipaia, a free-agent pickup in 2004 with three years of NFL experience, started three games last season, two at right tackle. The Rams selected a pair of guards, Mark Setterstrom and Tony Palmer, on the second day of the draft.

"It'll be interesting," Linehan said. "I don't foresee anything unusual happening, but if somebody steps up and plays good, you reward people with performance by moving them up the depth chart."

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Re: Linehan puts Timmerman, McCollum on notice

I don't remember any losses hung on the shoulders of those two warriors. I think this statement is a little harsh and unnecessary in my opinion. Offensive linemen give it their all, with little jaw jacking like say, a second year running back. Iím watching you coach!

rammiser is offline Registered User

I dont remember him saying they cost the Rams games. But I remember seeing them play a little worse every year. I think Linehan is saying they are up there in age and if Terrell and Incognito are performing at the same level or better then he wont hesitate to start them. I don't get everyone being down on Jackson's talking even Bruce said on the NFL network that he was ready for Jackson to carry the Rams deep into the playoffs. Sounds like Jackson isnt the only one confident that he can help this team win when used correctly.
    Just Fix It

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I remember a game a couple of years back where McCollum was in blocking one guy when a linebacker with a run up tried to blitz through the hole next to him. McCollum pushed back the guy he was blocking and then blocked both guys using one arm for each guy. Id never seen anyone do that before, and ive not seen anyone repeat that.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

My point is you don't call out guys like Timmerman and McCollum in that way. Oh sure, you can say they are getting older and even laugh about it, but you remind everybody that they have always been the professionals and that if they have it in the tank, they will bring it. It's respect for their past performance. They did not say they ever cost them a game because they haven't. It has been the outside guys like Barron and St. Clair. Granted Linehan is new and may not think like this, but I think when you go into a situation like this you need to learn who the player and who they have been. These guys aren't kids straight out of college, there thinking about their kids college.

As far as Jackson goes when he says "Marshall's not here, so I don't have hear about that anymore" I hear "Now people will only talk about me and how great I am". It makes me think of those Leon commercials. That may be just me, but that's what I hear. I have never been a big fan of the T.O.'s, Keyshawns or even Romanowski's. Ego's way bigger than their large performances have been. I favor more of the likes of Rice, Bruce and Favre. Guys that go to work everyday get job down and talk about how they couldn't accomplish anything without their team mates.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong....

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I dont blame Jackson for his comments. Everything he has done so far as a Ram has been compared to Marshall, which isnt fair on him. He has a big shadow to climb out of, and with Marshall not being around due to injury its a big load of his back. Imagine if it was you in that position and all you hear all the time is 'Marshall did this, Marshall did that'. Its a lot to live up to for a young guy and its no wonder Jackson is happy to have the pressure of living up to Faulk lifted.

I agree moonjoe it could have been kept in the locker room. Timmerman and Mcollum have paid their dues and deserve that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247
    I dont blame Jackson for his comments. Everything he has done so far as a Ram has been compared to Marshall, which isnt fair on him. He has a big shadow to climb out of, and with Marshall not being around due to injury its a big load of his back. Imagine if it was you in that position and all you hear all the time is 'Marshall did this, Marshall did that'. Its a lot to live up to for a young guy and its no wonder Jackson is happy to have the pressure of living up to Faulk lifted.
    I totally agree with tomohawk on Jackson. Those are huge shoes to fill and some of you take his comments way out of context. I think some of you take this too seriousley. I mean if you took what Bruce said about Jackson and told someone Jackson said it you would all be up in arms about how me,me,me Jackson is. Bruce said he is "ready for Jackson to carry us deep into the playoffs". So maybe what your hearing from Jackson isnt just coming out of Jacksons mouth. Sounds to me like this may be being talked about in the locker roomor maybe on the practice field. I met Jacskon in person at an autograph signing and he's nothing like what most of you think of him. My nephews played football with him at Eldorado Highschool which i am an alumni of and they all said he's pretty shy. His confidence is mistaken for cockiness and yes he talks a bit on the field but most of the time the defensive guy jawed at him. Thats not a bad thing because if it is Marshall is guilty of that too.
    Last edited by rammiser; -07-29-2006 at 02:30 PM.
    Just Fix It

bigredman is offline Registered User

I'm not encouraged by this report. The fact that the head coach is publicly stating that the likes of Timmerman and McCollum are subject to competition by relative rookies as far as starting bothers me. We need a cohesive line that is experienced with one another to start this season. While I was disappointed at the approach the Rams took regarding its offensive line this off season, I understand that they had major holes to fill on defense. I'm enough of a realist to know you can't address "ALL" of the teams concerns in one year (Thanks Martz). What this report tells me is that the offensive line is "unsettled". Not good news for Bulger. Not good news for Jackson. Not good news for Ram fans.
    Last edited by bigredman; -07-31-2006 at 02:38 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    I'm not encouraged by this report. The fact that the head coach is publicly stating that the likes of Timmerman and McCollum are subject to competition by relative rookies as far as starting at lineman bothers me. We need a cohesive line that is experienced with one another to start this season. While I was disappointed at the approach the Rams took regarding its offensive line this off season, I understand that they had major holes to fill on defense. I'm enough of a realist to know you can't address "ALL" of the teams concerns in one year (Thanks Martz). What this report tells me is that the offensive line is "unsettled". Not good news for Bulger. Not good news for Jackson. Not good news for Ram fans.
    I see where your coming from red but I disagree. Most offensive lines are unsettled at the start of training camp. There is always a chance for a young guy to come in and replace aging veterans. Plus our line isnt as unsettled as the Chiefs or the Browns lines are. At least our linemen are healthy and ready to compete. Linehan may have been using this as a motivation factor also for the old guys. Maybe this will tick them off a bit and get a fire going in them. It can backfire but you never know it could get the donut brothers rolling.
    Just Fix It