general counsel is offline Registered User

Linehan quote on faulk

From the post dispatch, "I would love to have him. Im his biggest fan that he doesnt know." Sounds encouraging, i cant wait until they speak on the phone or in person.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Linehan quote on faulk

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    From the post dispatch, "I would love to have him. Im his biggest fan that he doesnt know." Sounds encouraging, i cant wait until they speak on the phone or in person.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Good info GC. I would love to see Faulk come back and be able to contribute. Sounds like Linehan likes mixing it up with two backs and that might be just what Faulk wants to hear.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Geez, what would you expect him to say about a St. Louis hero??? , "Marshall sucks!", "Marshall's over the hill", "I got no plans for him." ...

Linehan is smart and articulate, and he's done his homework, so you should expect him to say the right things.

If only his record were as bright as his deportment.

coy, whats wrong with his record? with talent on offense, he was in the top 5 in the league three years in arow. his dolphins offense, despite GUS FERROTE at qb finished better than middle of the pack and improved dramatically over the course of the season. As for faulk, linehan could have easily said its up to marshall and left it at that.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    Geez, what would you expect him to say about a St. Louis hero??? , "Marshall sucks!", "Marshall's over the hill", "I got no plans for him." ...

Linehan is smart and articulate, and he's done his homework, so you should expect him to say the right things.

If only his record were as bright as his deportment.
    I'd expect him to say what he really feels. He said, "I would love to have him", and to some of us, that's great news and a first step in getting the "St. Louis hero" back for another year.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

I agree , I would to see Marshall back it would be great

GC,
    What's wrong with his record is that it is meager. He's not been a head coach, and none of his teams have excelled (been good, yes, but not excelled).

I would not hire a lawyer to work for me on a critical case, if he was a rookie. I would not hire an engineer to lead design for me if he was just out of college. I would not hire a doc to operate on me, if I was his first solo. So why are we hiring a HC who has never been a HC before, and does not come from a program with a brilliant record?

I want the Rams to win, as do we all.

But I know that in business, management often plays the roll of the Army's General, and that a good manager makes or breaks a group's performance over time.

I wanted the Ram's to go out and hire the best known available, not an understudy. I have seen weak performers in business destroy programs over time, or allow them to erode and fade and die. This is what I see happening here. Linehan gets to go to school and learn how to be a HC, make his mistakes, on the Ram's dime, and record.

Jack_Youngblood is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Good info GC. I would love to see Faulk come back and be able to contribute. Sounds like Linehan likes mixing it up with two backs and that might be just what Faulk wants to hear.
    Well he did mix up Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown really well this season.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Good stuff coy bacon. I love the attitude. Don't hold back. Let it roll out. :up:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Coy, i appreciate the perspective, but tell me who you wanted to hire. experience alone doesnt do it for me. experience and success is a different story. my personal first choice would have been jimmy johnson, the former cowboys coach.

Linehan had a top five offense three years in a row and improved the dolphins offense massively last year. I dont see how you can say that he didnt excel.

If your point is you wanted someone with experience, that is different that saying linehan didnt excell.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    I would not hire a lawyer to work for me on a critical case, if he was a rookie. I would not hire an engineer to lead design for me if he was just out of college. I would not hire a doc to operate on me, if I was his first solo. So why are we hiring a HC who has never been a HC before, and does not come from a program with a brilliant record?
    With that line of thinking nobody new would be hired for anything, everyone has to start somewhere.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

GC,
    I'm not up on who was available at the time, but I would have taken Mariuchi over Linehan. Heck, I would go out and spend big bucks to get a proven great coach, I'd hire them away from the team they're playing for. I'd go after that dude in Boston even.

And, I would not have gone after an offensive guy to be our HC. I think we all agree here that our D has been our weakness, coupled with poor D coaching.

Money talks and organizations that want to win find a way to do it. They have to pay the price. In today's game, with more parity than ever, coaching plays a far bigger role in a teams success and failure than it has in the past.

Linehan's our guy now. Period. I hope that I can eat some crow at this time next year. But just as I've been right about our DTs (SoG ate the crow!), I don't expect to be eating it later.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

I'm sorry /coy but I have to disagree with you. First of all Mariucci not even got to good, not even mediocre, but with that same way of thinking we should have never hired Mad Mike, he didn't have any hc experience afterall, but we had a good run with him, didn't we?

tanus is offline Registered User

to want a hc with previous hc experience is fine, but to not recognize linehan's success in the nfl is another. the man has been very successful so far. will he make a good hc? who knows. but given his track record, im more than willing to give the guy a fair chance.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

With regards to Linehan's potential utilization of Faulk, Linehan appears to know how to handle 2 backs:

2005 - Ronnie Brown (907, 4.4), Ricky Williams (743, 4.4)
    2004 - Onterrio Smith (544, 4.4), Mewelde Moore (379, 5.8)
    2003 - Moe Williams (745, 4.3), Onterrio Smith (579, 5.4), Michael Bennett (447, 5.0)
    2002 - Michael Bennett (1296, 5.1), Moe Williams (414, 4.9)
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod