RamWraith is offline Registered User

Linehan: Rams need some help at kick return position

By Jeff Gordon
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Monday, Nov. 06 2006

Running back/kick returner Tony Fisher is finished for the season because of
    his knee injury.

Given his value as a third-down running back and in all phases of special
    teams, the Rams will have shop for some help.

“We’re short a running back now, and a guy that has had a pretty significant
    role for us, so we’re looking at some options there, bring a couple of guys in
    here tomorrow and look at them,” Rams head coach Scott Linehan said. “We have
    to have help in our special teams as well. Fish was a big, core special teams
    players. We’ll have to add a player or two to our roster by Wednesday.”

Linehan is also unsure whether linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa will be ready for the
    Seattle game. His broken hand is still healing, as is his elbow injury.

“We’re closing in on him being ready to go,” Linehan said. “He missed the last
    two weeks. He’s not quite two weeks out of the injury. It’s more probable he
    would be able to play some snaps and protect it and not re-injure it.

“He actually tested pretty good Friday. He did some tackling-type drills where
    he felt comfortable. He certainly felt more comfortable had he been called on
    to play.”

Also on the injured list are Leonard Little (mild knee sprain), Kevin Curtis
    (bruised chest, abdomen), Tye Hill (mild ankle sprain), Jerome Carter (elbow
    sprain), Dexter Coakley (knee strain), Isaiah Kacyvenski (hip pointer) and
    Jimmy Kennedy (thumb sprain).

Here are some other thoughts from Linehan at his Monday news conference:

On whether Curtis would replace Fisher as the kick returner: “I would say no,
    right now. Obviously he was our back-up going into the game yesterday. The
    (chest) injury itself wouldn’t necessarily be the reason, but it does factor
    into it right now because he’ll be limited this week.”

On whether Marques Hagans could move up as the kick returner: “He would be
    another possibility. One of the problems with that, that would be the only
    thing he would do. That is what we talked about with Willie Ponder last week.
    That is the only issue. Now you are carrying six receivers on your (active)
    roster and you’re short in your number in the secondary.”

On noting that Fred Russell has a crack at the kick return job: “One of the
    reasons is the position he plays. We now have a position open at running back.
    He has been actually working, along with Marques, on returning kicks in
    practice. In his case, we’re short a running back, so that would be a definite
    possibility now.”

On the offensive pass interference penalty against Isaac Bruce: “Pass
    interference is judgment. The one on Isaac, he runs such a crisp route, the guy
    actually has his hands on him down the field, he runs such a good route cutting
    out of the cut, the guy falls down. (Bruce) doesn’t put his hands on him at
    all.”

On the defensive pass interference penalty against Coakley: “There was a little
    bumping going on, that occurs in man coverage. I really think it was fairly
    incidental. It was a judgment call and one that went against us.”

On Travis Fisher failing to sack Damon Huard on a blitz, allowing a TD pass to
    Tony Gonzalez: “I think Travis was a little surprised he came in free. When he
    got in there, I don’t think the quarterback expected anybody to come. It was a
    good disguise. I think the quarterback felt it and stepped up and (Travis) just
    took a bad angle and actually stumbled.”

On Alex Barron taking repeated false start penalties: “Certainly not
    acceptable. We talked about it as an offense. It’s an offense goal to eliminate
    the pre-snap penalties. They are hard to overcome. We certainly can’t allow
    them.”

On the inability to stop the run: “Watching the film, it was a different feel
    in this game than last week. Last week, the number count was more favorable for
    San Diego. We gave up three or four big runs this game that really affected
    field position. The run defense itself was in much better position. It just had
    a better look, a better feel for how we hitting our fits. We were in better
    position to stop the run, we didn’t execute it. That ultimately cost us this
    game.”

On the defense getting caught in some critical misalignments: “If we get lined
    up properly every time, we’re going to have more success. A lot of our problems
    this game is we had three or four critical misalignments that cost us big
    plays.”

On how the team stands at 4-4: “We would certainly like to be in better
    position than we are right now. You don’t want to lose, you don’t want to lose
    two or three in a row like we have. The important thing is, we’re here. We’re
    halfway through with a .500 record. We have to get ourselves ready to play the
    most important division game of the year so far.

“Take care of business and by performing well and winning this game, we could
    certainly put ourselves back in a very good position.”

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Linehan: Rams need some help at kick return position

Is this honestly our biggest f'n concern? (Sorry about the language, I get carried away :P) Kick returners? I know its important, with Dane Looker fumbling and all that crap, and KC a few weeks before, but come on, I'd be saying, let's start working on the DEFENSE!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Is this honestly our biggest f'n concern? (Sorry about the language, I get carried away :P) Kick returners? I know its important, with Dane Looker fumbling and all that crap, and KC a few weeks before, but come on, I'd be saying, let's start working on the DEFENSE!
    I'm sure they are concerned about the D, but we are short a running back now and if we can get one that returns kicks also, that helps. What do you suggest Linehan and company do to improve the defense? Who can they bring in? Nobody is the answer, we are what we are and have to live with it this year on defense. We still need to fill our holes at RB/KR no matter how bad the D is.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    On noting that Fred Russell has a crack at the kick return job: “One of the reasons is the position he plays. We now have a position open at running back. He has been actually working, along with Marques, on returning kicks in practice. In his case, we’re short a running back, so that would be a definite possibility now.”
    This sounds great to me. I'd really like to see Russell get a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6
    I'm sure they're going to work on the defense, but the immediate concern here is filling Fisher's roster spot and return duties.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

I've been wanting to see Fred Russell get a shot at returning kicks for a while now. With the injury to Fisher, it seems like this is the best time to try him out.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    I've been wanting to see Fred Russell get a shot at returning kicks for a while now. With the injury to Fisher, it seems like this is the best time to try him out.
    i'm ok with that, someone call linehan and tell him the Clan has decided on Fred Russell,it seems as though the coaching staff is struggling with this,using multiply people,decision made.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    You have to remember he is answering questions the reporters ask him, not reading a speech he wrote. If they ask about STs he talks about STs. I can't recall a time where a coach voluntarily started talking about an issue without being asked about it; they like to keep stuff as in house and private as possible.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    i'm ok with that, someone call linehan and tell him the Clan has decided on Fred Russell,it seems as though the coaching staff is struggling with this,using multiply people,decision made.
    I have the phone number, unfortunately I'm not near a phone.

The number is 1-800-lin-ehan.

Give it a shot