Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    RamWraith's Avatar
    RamWraith is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    44
    Posts
    8,230
    Rep Power
    61

    Linehan Safe For The Rest Of The Season?

    profootballtalk.com/rumormill.

    With the St. Louis Rams mired in one of the worst seasons in franchise history, speculation is running high in league circles as to whether coach Scott Linehan will make it to the end of the year.

    The team is 0-6, and losing badly. The offense is sputtering even worse under Gus Frerotte than it did with Marc Bulger taking the snaps.

    The thinking in some circles is that Linehan will make it until the end of the season, due in part to the fact that the decision to yank Bulger came from upstairs. Per a league source, persons higher than Linehan in the club feared that Bulger (who was playing with broken ribs) was at unnecessary risk of significant injury if he hadn't been removed.

    As a result, Linehan is likely to be held less accountable for the team's ongoing struggles than he would have been if the decision to bench Bulger had been made by the head coach.

    After the season, however, all bets are off -- and Linehan is now regarded as being likely to be fired, barring the kind of turnaround that this team simply doesn't seem to be capable of generating.

    Still, we don't rule out Linehan getting a horn in the hiney, especially with the bye coming up in just two week


  2. #2
    ScottD413 Guest

    Re: Linehan Safe For The Rest Of The Season?

    I hope they wait until the end of the season. If Linehan is fired mid-season then Haslett will probably take over, and we all saw what he did in New Orleans. Nothing! I'm hoping the whole staff gets fired and replaced

  3. #3
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,312
    Rep Power
    109

    Re: Linehan Safe For The Rest Of The Season?

    rumormill!:x

    We've all said it one time or another. It bears repeating. Lay the same cards on the table that Linehan has had to play with on any other Headcoach/Franchise in the NFL and I promise you they would be in the same boat.

    Example:

    As impressive as the Patriots are playing let's do this:

    Takeaway

    Bulger = Brady
    Bruce = Stallworth
    Bennett = Welker
    Jackson = Maroni
    Holt's not 100% = Randy Moss at less than 100%

    Both starting cornerbacks
    3 starters from the o-line

    There are more injuries on our team but I think that's enough to prove my point.

    I'll be honest if you just took Brady away, the Patriots would struggle big time. Same goes for the Colts and Peyton Manning.

    S.L.A.P. strikes again.

  4. #4
    Varg6's Avatar
    Varg6 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,640
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Linehan Safe For The Rest Of The Season?

    Honestly, I'd rather have him stay the whole season while the FO does something smart like talk to Cowher or Schottenheimer during the season to see if they can come to some sort of agreement (3 year deal, whatever) and after the season is over, fire Linehan and immediately have Cowher/Schottenheimer as our new head coach.


    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

  5. #5
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,051
    Rep Power
    172

    Re: Linehan Safe For The Rest Of The Season?

    As much as I'd like to see Linehan gone (at the end of the season, not now), I wouldn't put too much stock in stories appearing on PFT.

  6. #6
    jkramsfan Guest

    Re: Linehan Safe For The Rest Of The Season?

    Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    rumormill!:x

    We've all said it one time or another. It bears repeating. Lay the same cards on the table that Linehan has had to play with on any other Headcoach/Franchise in the NFL and I promise you they would be in the same boat.

    Example:

    As impressive as the Patriots are playing let's do this:

    Takeaway

    Bulger = Brady
    Bruce = Stallworth
    Bennett = Welker
    Jackson = Maroni
    Holt's not 100% = Randy Moss at less than 100%

    Both starting cornerbacks
    3 starters from the o-line

    There are more injuries on our team but I think that's enough to prove my point.

    I'll be honest if you just took Brady away, the Patriots would struggle big time. Same goes for the Colts and Peyton Manning.

    S.L.A.P. strikes again.
    how would you explain the panthers winning with 100 yr old vinny t. at QB ? every team has injuries,you can complain about it or you can go out and do something positive,example-vinny and the panthers.

  7. #7
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    FIRING SCHOTTY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,814
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: Linehan Safe For The Rest Of The Season?

    Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    how would you explain the panthers winning with 100 yr old vinny t. at QB ? every team has injuries,you can complain about it or you can go out and do something positive,example-vinny and the panthers.
    So one decent game for Vinny and that's considered doing something or was it just lucky? It's not complaining, it's just reality. It's not just who is injured but the number of injuries is what is almost impossible to overcome. Sure every team has injuries, but I know I'm not the only person who has said they have never seen this many injuries on one team at one time. What do you suggest we do?

    Ram0 is absolutely correct, if you take away that many players from any team there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. There could never be a gameplan for the amount of injuries we have.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

  8. #8
    LDJOHN55's Avatar
    LDJOHN55 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    273
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Linehan Safe For The Rest Of The Season?

    Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    how would you explain the panthers winning with 100 yr old vinny t. at QB ? every team has injuries,you can complain about it or you can go out and do something positive,example-vinny and the panthers.
    I hate sarcasm, but some of us fans have got to be in denial. Who wants to stay on a sinking ship? Who does not want the holes plugged and the ship righted and sailing forward? By what right or benefit does Scott Linehan deserve to take this team into the history books as the most losing team in Rams history? He was a nobody and got a chance last year and had the talent and underachieved.

    If 101 year old Vinny-T can get it done with the plays on his armband, then our team should be ashamed! What string in the depth chart was that running back on NE last night? Who was that rookie in Minnesota that tore up the field with over 300 yds of offense?

    We have injured players, but our coaching staff seem to be the ones who are handicapped. They can't make adjustments to save their lives.

    Somebody help me understand why I don't understand their years of NFL coaching logic/strategy.

    I believe there were many nay-sayers when Art Shell was rumored to be in consideration for the HC job. Hell, at least he is a warrior with battle experience. I would rather have seen Deacon Jones try to coach than this guy. He reminds me of Woody Allen.

    I can't stop talking about how much he has pissed me off by ruining this team. Yes, that loser who let them slack off in preseason should be fired tonight. I believe they could do better than this without a HC.

    Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

  9. #9
    jkramsfan Guest

    Re: Linehan Safe For The Rest Of The Season?

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    So one decent game for Vinny and that's considered doing something or was it just lucky? It's not complaining, it's just reality. It's not just who is injured but the number of injuries is what is almost impossible to overcome. Sure every team has injuries, but I know I'm not the only person who has said they have never seen this many injuries on one team at one time. What do you suggest we do?

    Ram0 is absolutely correct, if you take away that many players from any team there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. There could never be a gameplan for the amount of injuries we have.
    one decent game for vinny ? he's only played the one game and because he did well it's luck,so when the Rams finally win one will that be just luck also.granted the injuries are some bad luck but using it as an excuse week after week is just getting old.

  10. #10
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    FIRING SCHOTTY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,814
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: Linehan Safe For The Rest Of The Season?

    Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    one decent game for vinny ? he's only played the one game and because he did well it's luck,so when the Rams finally win one will that be just luck also.granted the injuries are some bad luck but using it as an excuse week after week is just getting old.
    I didn't say it was luck, I asked if it could be luck. I don't think using Vinny after one game is a good example of doing something.

    Again there are so many injuries it's not an excuse it's just reality. If we had a couple of injuries and that was the excuse every week yep it would get old, but with the number of injuries, what can we really do?
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

  11. #11
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,204
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Linehan Safe For The Rest Of The Season?

    If we are going to use injuries as an excuse then what was Baltimore's excuse for playing so well with their injuries?

    Ravens injuries:
    QB:Mcnair
    OT:Ogden
    C:Flynn
    T:Terry
    DT:Price
    TE:Heap,Wilcox

    Rams:
    QB:Bulger
    RB:Jackson
    WR:Bruce
    WR:Bennett
    WR:Hall
    OT:Pace
    C:Romberg
    G:Setterstrom
    SS:Chavous-Although he stinks when healthy

    Pretty comparable on the o-line so that cant be our problem right? We arent winning any games and there are teams with key injuries winning thats the difference. Every team in the NFL has injuries but even those with injuries are still winning. Two teams in the NFL are winless Rams and Miami. That means 30 other teams no matter what the adversity have found a way to win a game. I'm not expecting perfection, I'm expecting at least 1 win. I dont care how many games were close or how many we fumbled away or how wide open Bennett was. No more excuses lets win a freaking game. Everyone else but Miami has won a game. So if it's the inuries fault what are the other teams with injuries excuse for winning??? Is it better coaching or luck? Vinny got lucky, did Carr get lucky? I would like to just blame injuries but I'm sorry I cant do it. Yes they are terrible and we have a lot of them but every team goes through injuries and looking at the Ravens against us they were pretty depleted on offense too. Yes we had more but we scored 3 points, which has become the norm for this team low td output. So let's keep Linehan on the slight chance it's just the injuries and while there are good coaches waiting in the wings keep him for another year. Then if we stink next year after picking 1st or 2nd in the draft and say the Chargers get Bill Cowher and the Giants get Marty we stick with Linehan on a whim he will take us to the promised land. No Thanks I say we fire him at the end of the year and make offers to Cowher and Shottenhiemer that they cant refuse. I realize the injuries make it tough but they dont make it impossible.
    Just Fix It

  12. #12
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Linehan Safe For The Rest Of The Season?

    Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    rumormill!:x

    We've all said it one time or another. It bears repeating. Lay the same cards on the table that Linehan has had to play with on any other Headcoach/Franchise in the NFL and I promise you they would be in the same boat.

    Example:

    As impressive as the Patriots are playing let's do this:

    Takeaway

    Bulger = Brady
    Bruce = Stallworth
    Bennett = Welker
    Jackson = Maroni
    Holt's not 100% = Randy Moss at less than 100%

    Both starting cornerbacks
    3 starters from the o-line

    There are more injuries on our team but I think that's enough to prove my point.

    I'll be honest if you just took Brady away, the Patriots would struggle big time. Same goes for the Colts and Peyton Manning.

    S.L.A.P. strikes again.
    You know, a couple years back the Patriots were hit by injuries so bad they played Troy Brown as a cornerback, but they kept on winning games. Yes, we probably would have won more if we hadn't sustained so many injuries, but we've also lost quite a few games we still could have won.

  13. #13
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    FIRING SCHOTTY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,814
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: Linehan Safe For The Rest Of The Season?

    Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    If we are going to use injuries as an excuse then what was Baltimore's excuse for playing so well with their injuries?

    Ravens injuries:
    QB:Mcnair
    OT:Ogden
    C:Flynn
    T:Terry
    DT:Price
    TE:Heap,Wilcox

    Rams:
    QB:Bulger
    RB:Jackson
    WR:Bruce
    WR:Bennett
    WR:Hall
    OT:Pace
    C:Romberg
    G:Setterstrom
    SS:Chavous-Although he stinks when healthy

    Pretty comparable on the o-line so that cant be our problem right? We arent winning any games and there are teams with key injuries winning thats the difference. Every team in the NFL has injuries but even those with injuries are still winning. Two teams in the NFL are winless Rams and Miami. That means 30 other teams no matter what the adversity have found a way to win a game. I'm not expecting perfection, I'm expecting at least 1 win. I dont care how many games were close or how many we fumbled away or how wide open Bennett was. No more excuses lets win a freaking game. Everyone else but Miami has won a game. So if it's the inuries fault what are the other teams with injuries excuse for winning??? Is it better coaching or luck? Vinny got lucky, did Carr get lucky? I would like to just blame injuries but I'm sorry I cant do it. Yes they are terrible and we have a lot of them but every team goes through injuries and looking at the Ravens against us they were pretty depleted on offense too. Yes we had more but we scored 3 points, which has become the norm for this team low td output. So let's keep Linehan on the slight chance it's just the injuries and while there are good coaches waiting in the wings keep him for another year. Then if we stink next year after picking 1st or 2nd in the draft and say the Chargers get Bill Cowher and the Giants get Marty we stick with Linehan on a whim he will take us to the promised land. No Thanks I say we fire him at the end of the year and make offers to Cowher and Shottenhiemer that they cant refuse. I realize the injuries make it tough but they dont make it impossible.
    You forgot Dane Looker and Raonall Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

  14. #14
    Speedyroach Guest

    Re: Linehan Safe For The Rest Of The Season?

    Linehan will make it through this year and maybe next year. Our defense is better and if given a chance to field some healthy players Linehan will go from Loser to Offensive Guru once again. Have Faith.

  15. #15
    jkramsfan Guest

    Re: Linehan Safe For The Rest Of The Season?

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    I didn't say it was luck, I asked if it could be luck. I don't think using Vinny after one game is a good example of doing something.

    Again there are so many injuries it's not an excuse it's just reality. If we had a couple of injuries and that was the excuse every week yep it would get old, but with the number of injuries, what can we really do?
    ok maybe vinny isn't a good example because 100 yr old Vinny in 1 game already has more wins than any QB on the Rams this season, maybe it was luck but I bet the Panthers will take that win,kidding aside I understand where you are coming from I just think it's time to move on,injuries are there but you have to go on and field a quality team and win some games and yes we have enough quality players to win some games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Postgame With Gordo
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -09-30-2007, 07:16 PM
  2. Jim Thomas Live
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -09-26-2007, 08:01 AM
  3. Thomas Live
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -09-19-2007, 01:06 PM
  4. Rams Inside Slant - 9/1
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -09-04-2006, 12:54 PM
  5. Top players who will miss the season
    By sanches in forum COLLEGE
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -08-23-2005, 05:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •