Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Linehan Safe For The Rest Of The Season?

profootballtalk.com/rumormill.

With the St. Louis Rams mired in one of the worst seasons in franchise history, speculation is running high in league circles as to whether coach Scott Linehan will make it to the end of the year.

The team is 0-6, and losing badly. The offense is sputtering even worse under Gus Frerotte than it did with Marc Bulger taking the snaps.

The thinking in some circles is that Linehan will make it until the end of the season, due in part to the fact that the decision to yank Bulger came from upstairs. Per a league source, persons higher than Linehan in the club feared that Bulger (who was playing with broken ribs) was at unnecessary risk of significant injury if he hadn't been removed.

As a result, Linehan is likely to be held less accountable for the team's ongoing struggles than he would have been if the decision to bench Bulger had been made by the head coach.

After the season, however, all bets are off -- and Linehan is now regarded as being likely to be fired, barring the kind of turnaround that this team simply doesn't seem to be capable of generating.

Still, we don't rule out Linehan getting a horn in the hiney, especially with the bye coming up in just two week

ScottD413 Guest

Re: Linehan Safe For The Rest Of The Season?

I hope they wait until the end of the season. If Linehan is fired mid-season then Haslett will probably take over, and we all saw what he did in New Orleans. Nothing! I'm hoping the whole staff gets fired and replaced

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

rumormill!:x

We've all said it one time or another. It bears repeating. Lay the same cards on the table that Linehan has had to play with on any other Headcoach/Franchise in the NFL and I promise you they would be in the same boat.

Example:

As impressive as the Patriots are playing let's do this:

Takeaway

Bulger = Brady
    Bruce = Stallworth
    Bennett = Welker
    Jackson = Maroni
    Holt's not 100% = Randy Moss at less than 100%

Both starting cornerbacks
    3 starters from the o-line

There are more injuries on our team but I think that's enough to prove my point.

I'll be honest if you just took Brady away, the Patriots would struggle big time. Same goes for the Colts and Peyton Manning.

S.L.A.P. strikes again.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Honestly, I'd rather have him stay the whole season while the FO does something smart like talk to Cowher or Schottenheimer during the season to see if they can come to some sort of agreement (3 year deal, whatever) and after the season is over, fire Linehan and immediately have Cowher/Schottenheimer as our new head coach.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

As much as I'd like to see Linehan gone (at the end of the season, not now), I wouldn't put too much stock in stories appearing on PFT.

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post

We've all said it one time or another. It bears repeating. Lay the same cards on the table that Linehan has had to play with on any other Headcoach/Franchise in the NFL and I promise you they would be in the same boat.

Example:

Takeaway

Bulger = Brady
    Bruce = Stallworth
    Bennett = Welker
    Jackson = Maroni

There are more injuries on our team but I think that's enough to prove my point.

I'll be honest if you just took Brady away, the Patriots would struggle big time. Same goes for the Colts and Peyton Manning.

S.L.A.P. strikes again.
    how would you explain the panthers winning with 100 yr old vinny t. at QB ? every team has injuries,you can complain about it or you can go out and do something positive,example-vinny and the panthers.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    how would you explain the panthers winning with 100 yr old vinny t. at QB ? every team has injuries,you can complain about it or you can go out and do something positive,example-vinny and the panthers.
    So one decent game for Vinny and that's considered doing something or was it just lucky? It's not complaining, it's just reality. It's not just who is injured but the number of injuries is what is almost impossible to overcome. Sure every team has injuries, but I know I'm not the only person who has said they have never seen this many injuries on one team at one time. What do you suggest we do?

Ram0 is absolutely correct, if you take away that many players from any team there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. There could never be a gameplan for the amount of injuries we have.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

LDJOHN55 is offline Registered User

I hate sarcasm, but some of us fans have got to be in denial. Who wants to stay on a sinking ship? Who does not want the holes plugged and the ship righted and sailing forward? By what right or benefit does Scott Linehan deserve to take this team into the history books as the most losing team in Rams history? He was a nobody and got a chance last year and had the talent and underachieved.

If 101 year old Vinny-T can get it done with the plays on his armband, then our team should be ashamed! What string in the depth chart was that running back on NE last night? Who was that rookie in Minnesota that tore up the field with over 300 yds of offense?

We have injured players, but our coaching staff seem to be the ones who are handicapped. They can't make adjustments to save their lives.

Somebody help me understand why I don't understand their years of NFL coaching logic/strategy.

I believe there were many nay-sayers when Art Shell was rumored to be in consideration for the HC job. Hell, at least he is a warrior with battle experience. I would rather have seen Deacon Jones try to coach than this guy. He reminds me of Woody Allen.

I can't stop talking about how much he has pissed me off by ruining this team. Yes, that loser who let them slack off in preseason should be fired tonight. I believe they could do better than this without a HC.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    So one decent game for Vinny and that's considered doing something or was it just lucky? It's not complaining, it's just reality. It's not just who is injured but the number of injuries is what is almost impossible to overcome. Sure every team has injuries, but I know I'm not the only person who has said they have never seen this many injuries on one team at one time. What do you suggest we do?

Ram0 is absolutely correct, if you take away that many players from any team there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. There could never be a gameplan for the amount of injuries we have.
    one decent game for vinny ? he's only played the one game and because he did well it's luck,so when the Rams finally win one will that be just luck also.granted the injuries are some bad luck but using it as an excuse week after week is just getting old.

one decent game for vinny ? he's only played the one game and because he did well it's luck,so when the Rams finally win one will that be just luck also.granted the injuries are some bad luck but using it as an excuse week after week is just getting old.
    I didn't say it was luck, I asked if it could be luck. I don't think using Vinny after one game is a good example of doing something.

Again there are so many injuries it's not an excuse it's just reality. If we had a couple of injuries and that was the excuse every week yep it would get old, but with the number of injuries, what can we really do?
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

rammiser is offline Registered User

If we are going to use injuries as an excuse then what was Baltimore's excuse for playing so well with their injuries?

Ravens injuries:
    QB:Mcnair
    OT:Ogden
    C:Flynn
    T:Terry
    DT:Price
    TE:Heap,Wilcox

Rams:
    QB:Bulger
    RB:Jackson
    WR:Bruce
    WR:Bennett
    WR:Hall
    OT:Pace
    C:Romberg
    G:Setterstrom
    SS:Chavous-Although he stinks when healthy

Pretty comparable on the o-line so that cant be our problem right? We arent winning any games and there are teams with key injuries winning thats the difference. Every team in the NFL has injuries but even those with injuries are still winning. Two teams in the NFL are winless Rams and Miami. That means 30 other teams no matter what the adversity have found a way to win a game. I'm not expecting perfection, I'm expecting at least 1 win. I dont care how many games were close or how many we fumbled away or how wide open Bennett was. No more excuses lets win a freaking game. Everyone else but Miami has won a game. So if it's the inuries fault what are the other teams with injuries excuse for winning??? Is it better coaching or luck? Vinny got lucky, did Carr get lucky? I would like to just blame injuries but I'm sorry I cant do it. Yes they are terrible and we have a lot of them but every team goes through injuries and looking at the Ravens against us they were pretty depleted on offense too. Yes we had more but we scored 3 points, which has become the norm for this team low td output. So let's keep Linehan on the slight chance it's just the injuries and while there are good coaches waiting in the wings keep him for another year. Then if we stink next year after picking 1st or 2nd in the draft and say the Chargers get Bill Cowher and the Giants get Marty we stick with Linehan on a whim he will take us to the promised land. No Thanks I say we fire him at the end of the year and make offers to Cowher and Shottenhiemer that they cant refuse. I realize the injuries make it tough but they dont make it impossible.
    Just Fix It

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post

Example:

Takeaway

Bulger = Brady
    Bruce = Stallworth
    Bennett = Welker
    Jackson = Maroni

S.L.A.P. strikes again.
    You know, a couple years back the Patriots were hit by injuries so bad they played Troy Brown as a cornerback, but they kept on winning games. Yes, we probably would have won more if we hadn't sustained so many injuries, but we've also lost quite a few games we still could have won.

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    If we are going to use injuries as an excuse then what was Baltimore's excuse for playing so well with their injuries?

Ravens injuries:
    QB:Mcnair
    OT:Ogden
    C:Flynn
    T:Terry
    DT:Price
    TE:Heap,Wilcox

Rams:
    QB:Bulger
    RB:Jackson
    WR:Bruce
    WR:Bennett
    WR:Hall
    OT:Pace
    C:Romberg
    G:Setterstrom
    SS:Chavous-Although he stinks when healthy

Pretty comparable on the o-line so that cant be our problem right? We arent winning any games and there are teams with key injuries winning thats the difference. Every team in the NFL has injuries but even those with injuries are still winning. Two teams in the NFL are winless Rams and Miami. That means 30 other teams no matter what the adversity have found a way to win a game. I'm not expecting perfection, I'm expecting at least 1 win. I dont care how many games were close or how many we fumbled away or how wide open Bennett was. No more excuses lets win a freaking game. Everyone else but Miami has won a game. So if it's the inuries fault what are the other teams with injuries excuse for winning??? Is it better coaching or luck? Vinny got lucky, did Carr get lucky? I would like to just blame injuries but I'm sorry I cant do it. Yes they are terrible and we have a lot of them but every team goes through injuries and looking at the Ravens against us they were pretty depleted on offense too. Yes we had more but we scored 3 points, which has become the norm for this team low td output. So let's keep Linehan on the slight chance it's just the injuries and while there are good coaches waiting in the wings keep him for another year. Then if we stink next year after picking 1st or 2nd in the draft and say the Chargers get Bill Cowher and the Giants get Marty we stick with Linehan on a whim he will take us to the promised land. No Thanks I say we fire him at the end of the year and make offers to Cowher and Shottenhiemer that they cant refuse. I realize the injuries make it tough but they dont make it impossible.
    You forgot Dane Looker and Raonall Smith

Speedyroach Guest

Linehan will make it through this year and maybe next year. Our defense is better and if given a chance to field some healthy players Linehan will go from Loser to Offensive Guru once again. Have Faith.

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    I didn't say it was luck, I asked if it could be luck. I don't think using Vinny after one game is a good example of doing something.

Again there are so many injuries it's not an excuse it's just reality. If we had a couple of injuries and that was the excuse every week yep it would get old, but with the number of injuries, what can we really do?
    ok maybe vinny isn't a good example because 100 yr old Vinny in 1 game already has more wins than any QB on the Rams this season, maybe it was luck but I bet the Panthers will take that win,kidding aside I understand where you are coming from I just think it's time to move on,injuries are there but you have to go on and field a quality team and win some games and yes we have enough quality players to win some games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast