Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Linehan Safe For The Rest Of The Season?

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    how would you explain the panthers winning with 100 yr old vinny t. at QB ? every team has injuries,you can complain about it or you can go out and do something positive,example-vinny and the panthers.
    Vinny and the Panthers were minus one or two offensive starters. The Rams were missing seven. There's no comparison.

blood85 Guest

Linehan made us look horrible even before the injuries, during preseason and in the Panthers game.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

ok maybe vinny isn't a good example because 100 yr old Vinny in 1 game already has more wins than any QB on the Rams this season, maybe it was luck but I bet the Panthers will take that win,kidding aside I understand where you are coming from I just think it's time to move on,injuries are there but you have to go on and field a quality team and win some games and yes we have enough quality players to win some games.
    I want to move on also, but until we can field a somewhat healthy team this will be the topic of discussion unfortunately. We can hardly evaluate what we have because they are never on the field at the same time.

The ball bounced the Panthers way yesterday when they knocked Kurt Warner out of the game and the Cards had to play Tim Rattay at QB. Vinny has some voodoo maybe.

Our defense is looking better. That's something to talk about.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    Linehan made us look horrible even before the injuries, during preseason and in the Panthers game.
    Yeah I hate when Linehan fumbles the ball and throws INTs.

Was there a "before the injuries?" Bennett, Cogs, and Steussie went down before the season started. Bulger got hurt in the first game (but still played). Pace went down in the first half of the Panthers game. Holt is obviously hurting. McMichael may have hurt is hamstring in the Panthers game but I think it was the second game vs the Niners...and on and on and on.........

Does Linehan deserve some blame? Yes. Does he deserve most or all of the blame? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    I want to move on also, but until we can field a somewhat healthy team this will be the topic of discussion unfortunately. We can hardly evaluate what we have because they are never on the field at the same time.

The ball bounced the Panthers way yesterday when they knocked Kurt Warner out of the game and the Cards had to play Tim Rattay at QB. Vinny has some voodoo maybe.

i agree 100 % on that, the future looks bright on defense, could we use some more parts ,sure but I think a very good foundation is in the works.

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Vinny and the Panthers were minus one or two offensive starters. The Rams were missing seven. There's no comparison.
    it was more of an example than a comparision of how you can still possibly win when you insert old used parts, but ok we can continue to lay down for everyone since we have injuries.

it was more of an example than a comparision of how you can still possibly win when you insert old used parts, but ok we can continue to lay down for everyone since we have injuries.
    You have an astronomically better chance of succeeding when inserting old used parts when you're only inserting one or two of them, not seven. That's not an excuse to lay down, but that's simply the facts - there's a big difference between missing one starter and missing seven. Would you agree?

No one is disputing that every team has to deal with injuries. The problem is that every team does not have to deal with the number of injuries we've seen. The Panthers certainly didn't last weekend with Vinny at the helm. We're practically playing a pre-season offense out there. That's not a typical NFL injury situation, certainly not one that you regularly see teams rise above and succeed in spite of, IMO.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

He'll make it to the end of this season.

Firing him now would be an act of pure folly. It would add disruption in the coaching staff to disruption in the playing staff and hit morale harder than its been hit thus far. Interim coaches just don't work ordinarily, and in the knowledge that they'll be following their predecessor out of the door, they have little incentive to try very hard. You could say that they are auditioning for their next gig, but realistically they know they're on a hiding to nothing.

I would say that he'll likely be one of the first coaching casualties of the off-season though.

Our front office hasn't exactly covered itself in glory over the last few years, and whilst they aren't responsible for this mess, I think their record over an eight year period can't be masked with the appointment of Tony Softli.

Whilst I don't think that our record will plummet to 0-16, I don't think it will be more than two or three games better than that, and to me this season, along with the last eight years, points to the need for a drastic reappraisal of the organisation.

Linehan has been damned unfortunate, and I just don't see the argument that can surmount seven starters being on the sick-list.
    Last edited by Fat Pang; -10-16-2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Afterthought

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Maybe Linehan needs a bit of a scare--I don't see anything wrong with management Interviewing potentual replacements for his job with the public comment--JUST INCASE...

Nearly tried everything else to turn things around--why not. If that don't work--put the cheerleeders on the offensive line and hope the opposition have a thing about not hitting girls

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    rumormill!:x

We've all said it one time or another. It bears repeating. Lay the same cards on the table that Linehan has had to play with on any other Headcoach/Franchise in the NFL and I promise you they would be in the same boat.

Example:

As impressive as the Patriots are playing let's do this:

Takeaway

Bulger = Brady
    Bruce = Stallworth
    Bennett = Welker
    Jackson = Maroni
    Holt's not 100% = Randy Moss at less than 100%

Both starting cornerbacks
    3 starters from the o-line

There are more injuries on our team but I think that's enough to prove my point.

I'll be honest if you just took Brady away, the Patriots would struggle big time. Same goes for the Colts and Peyton Manning.

S.L.A.P. strikes again.
    Good coaching is being able to adapt to any situation (in my opinion of course) and even though the Rams faced a freak series of injuries, a great (lets say better) coach would have adapted. You can't tell me that a Shanahan or a Dungy wouldn't fair better with this situation? Other teams have had devastating injuries, but through good coaching and playcalling they were able to win at least a few. If we were 2-4 I would understand that injuries didn't allow us to overcome 4 games, but 2 were won from sheer strategy. 0-6, with all the other factors in mind, results in less-than-stellar coaching. Why should we settle for a coach who is just under a great coach?

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You have an astronomically better chance of succeeding when inserting old used parts when you're only inserting one or two of them, not seven. That's not an excuse to lay down, but that's simply the facts - there's a big difference between missing one starter and missing seven. Would you agree?

No one is disputing that every team has to deal with injuries. The problem is that every team does not have to deal with the number of injuries we've seen. The Panthers certainly didn't last weekend with Vinny at the helm. We're practically playing a pre-season offense out there. That's not a typical NFL injury situation, certainly not one that you regularly see teams rise above and succeed in spite of, IMO.
    I agree Nick, I guess the point I'm trying to make is granted we have more injuries but these guys are still pros,you pull a guy off his couch at 43yrs old and he plays well,how come these guys we put in can't even score 1 touchdown,I didn't see the game so maybe they did move the ball but still 3 points,I am not expecting great things from the reserves just better than what we are getting now,hope I explained it better.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO View Post
    Other teams have had devastating injuries, but through good coaching and playcalling they were able to win at least a few.
    Okay, so name a team that has been missing seven starters on offense yet is still winning games.

It's easy to simply say it, but let's get specific here. We're not just talking about an injury or two. We're talking about missing seven starters from the offense.

I can't recall a coach that has succeeded under the kind of circumstances we've faced. But if you say other teams have, can you give some specific examples to show it?

you pull a guy off his couch at 43yrs old and he plays well,how come these guys we put in can't even score 1 touchdown
    Because you're surrounding that 43-year-old guy with a starting offense that's been playing together for a month in the regular season. The Panthers have better protection and a more efficient running game.

Meanwhile, we're shuffling guys in and out of the line-up every week because of injuries. Good teams can afford to do this at one or maybe two positions; seven is just too much IMO.

I see what you're saying in that you want the guys we have to play better, but for the most part there's a reason many of them were without a team and available in August and September.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

how would you explain the panthers winning with 100 yr old vinny t. at QB ? every team has injuries,you can complain about it or you can go out and do something positive,example-vinny and the panthers.
    Because 43 year old Vinny played one hell of a game. If Frerotte hadn't thrown 3 INT against the Cards and 5 INT against the Ravens, we could have won both games ...

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    If we are going to use injuries as an excuse then what was Baltimore's excuse for playing so well with their injuries?

Ravens injuries:
    QB:Mcnair
    OT:Ogden
    C:Flynn
    T:Terry
    DT:Price
    TE:Heap,Wilcox

Rams:
    QB:Bulger
    RB:Jackson
    WR:Bruce
    WR:Bennett
    WR:Hall
    OT:Pace
    C:Romberg
    G:Setterstrom
    SS:Chavous-Although he stinks when healthy

Pretty comparable on the o-line so that cant be our problem right? We arent winning any games and there are teams with key injuries winning thats the difference. Every team in the NFL has injuries but even those with injuries are still winning. Two teams in the NFL are winless Rams and Miami. That means 30 other teams no matter what the adversity have found a way to win a game. I'm not expecting perfection, I'm expecting at least 1 win. I dont care how many games were close or how many we fumbled away or how wide open Bennett was. No more excuses lets win a freaking game. Everyone else but Miami has won a game. So if it's the inuries fault what are the other teams with injuries excuse for winning??? Is it better coaching or luck? Vinny got lucky, did Carr get lucky? I would like to just blame injuries but I'm sorry I cant do it. Yes they are terrible and we have a lot of them but every team goes through injuries and looking at the Ravens against us they were pretty depleted on offense too. Yes we had more but we scored 3 points, which has become the norm for this team low td output. So let's keep Linehan on the slight chance it's just the injuries and while there are good coaches waiting in the wings keep him for another year. Then if we stink next year after picking 1st or 2nd in the draft and say the Chargers get Bill Cowher and the Giants get Marty we stick with Linehan on a whim he will take us to the promised land. No Thanks I say we fire him at the end of the year and make offers to Cowher and Shottenhiemer that they cant refuse. I realize the injuries make it tough but they dont make it impossible.
    I'll post this as many times as I need to ...

FREROTTE THREW 5 INT!

Those are his fault and his fault only ...

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post

Our defense looking better? Hmmm, why in the world would anybody want to talk about football around here? They just want to talk about how bad Linehan dresses and who we are going to draft next year ...

Football forum? Phhhhhffff, forget that ....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12