Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Linehan says Rams and Jackson have had talks

Rams prepare for Chargers as Jackson's holdout continues
    Associated Press
    Posted: 11 minutes ago

ST. LOUIS -- When the Rams returned to the practice fields in St. Louis on Friday, they left behind the cooler weather of their Wisconsin training camp. What they couldn't leave on the campus of Concordia University, though, were the problems plaguing them even when they were at their new summer home.

Running back Steven Jackson continued to holdout. Jackson missed all of training camp while seeking a new contract. He was not at Rams Park on Friday either, as the team works to bring him to practice.

Coach Scott Linehan met with President of Football Operations Jay Zygmunt on Thursday. Linehan said progress is being made, though the extent of that progress is unclear.

"I know they have had some talks," Linehan said. "I know it's moving along. Whatever that means, it sounds positive to me."

Jackson's holdout has reached 22 days, and it's becoming more important that he report with the regular season opener on Sept. 7.

Jackson won't be the only big-name runner missing from the field in Saturday's preseason home opener. San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson almost certainly won't participate, though that's a matter of preservation and not money.

Beyond the missing running backs, the Rams have some other issues that need fixing after last week's 34-13 loss to Tennessee in the exhibition opener.

"We saw a lot of improvement in our team during our time away," Linehan said. "We didn't see it on the field so much in a number of areas."

Two areas specifically continue to plague the Rams.

The first-team offense struggled mightily against the Titans and the top offensive unit has failed to score a touchdown in nine preseason games under Linehan.

That group will start and play a "significant amount" according to Linehan. It's expected the starters will play a good portion of the first half, if not all of it.

On defense, the Rams are looking to make amends after giving up 340 rushing yards and 7.9 yards per carry to the Titans.

Notes: Rams receiver Torry Holt might not play against the Chargers because of back spasms that have limited him in practice this week. Linebacker Will Witherspoon and receiver Donnie Avery will be game time decisions.

Josh Guest

Re: Linehan says Rams and Jackson have had talks

Talks??? that could mean anything.

Zygmunt: So are you gonna report to camp?

Jackson: No, are you?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I hope Witherspoon is good. I know he is a hard worker, and I want to see him play at his fullest capability.

I really hope Jackson is signed by next week's game. There is NO chance of him playing tomorrow. I know it. So, in that case, next week would be a good timeframe.

Either way, I want this mess over with Jackson playing in a Rams uniform. With a long term contract. Jackson is the backbone of our squad, and without the backbone, there is no stability. We need him here more than ever. Our first seven weeks will be tough, itll even be tougher without him.

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

we really need this mess over with i mean seriously jackson is being setback a great deal by not being with the squad missing all the practices and 2 preseason games is bad he should be in camp because he is under contract and the rams should pay this guy what he wants cause he is the future of this team and lets get going with the season Off with the heads of the eagles !!!!!!!
    Torry Holt Dont play that

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by letsgoramz View Post
    we really need this mess over with i mean seriously jackson is being setback a great deal by not being with the squad missing all the practices and 2 preseason games is bad he should be in camp because he is under contract and the rams should pay this guy what he wants cause he is the future of this team and lets get going with the season Off with the heads of the eagles !!!!!!!
    I agree, the offense should play better this week but no where near it could if Jackson was in the backfield,he needs to be back this week and play at least a little in the remaining 2 games.