RamWraith is offline Registered User

Linehan sees Long, Carriker coming around

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/25/2008

Whether they turn out to be All-Pros or just average joes, defensive linemen Chris Long and Adam Carriker will bank nearly $40 million in guaranteed money from the Rams. Given the meager statistics the team's most recent first-round draft picks have amassed this preseason, one might have cause for concern.

Not coach Scott Linehan, though. He insists that Carriker, the No. 13 overall selection in 2007, is "playing consistent football." And while conceding that Long, the NFL's second draftee this year, is experiencing "some growing pains," Linehan added, "You know the production will come."

Carriker (two) and Long (four) have combined for just six tackles in the three preseason games; neither has recorded a sack or a tackle for lost yardage.

Playing mostly nose tackle, Carriker isn't going to pile up gaudy numbers. "But he eats up those blockers, (so that) the linebackers can run sideline to sideline," Linehan said. "He does a great job of that."

As a defensive end, Long should be in on more stops. But after playing in a 3-4 alignment at the University of Virginia, he essentially is relearning the position in the Rams' 4-3.

"He's playing very hard; he's not going to allow himself to fail," Linehan said. "What you're seeing is a guy that's getting comfortable in a system and knowing that once he does, he's just going to make great strides. …

"We certainly have a lot of expectations for him, but we're also patient, knowing a lot of it's baby steps right now."

MORE INJURIES

After Saturday's 24-10 victory over Baltimore, four Rams were added to the injury report: wide receivers Drew Bennett (groin), Dante Hall (ankle) and Reche Caldwell (knee), and cornerback Darius Vinnett (knee).

Bennett is day to day, Linehan said. Hall suffered a high-ankle sprain, but Linehan said it was "not as bad as the one he had last year" that limited Hall to seven games.

Both knee injuries were minor, Linehan said.

'Q' IN LINE TO START

Although it's not official, it looks as if Quinton Culberson has earned the starting spot at strongside linebacker. That would leave Chris Draft as No. 1 backup at all three linebacker spots.

Culberson, an undrafted rookie last year, "has put himself in a pretty good position for that," Linehan said. —"'Q' has really played very well for us in the preseason. I thought he had probably his best game (vs. the Ravens). … I think we've just got a great situation where we have four starting linebackers, Draft being the most versatile."

JACKSON CATCHES UP

While the rest of the players had Sunday off, running back Steven Jackson pulled on his pads and went through drills at Rams Park. He's trying to get up to speed after a 27-day holdout.

"The tough part is, we've got a limited week. We're not going to be able to go out there in full pads for a whole week of practice … to get him as ready as we'd like for" Thursday's preseason finale at Kansas City, Linehan said. "But (in practice) he'll take snaps with not only the first unit, but the second unit and the third unit, just to catch up on plays. We've got to keep accelerating him."

Linehan said he'd decide later whether Jackson would suit up vs. the Chiefs.

RAM-BLINGS

Kickoff for Thursday's game is scheduled for 6 p.m. … The Rams didn't permit a sack vs. the Ravens. "I think the offensive line has really, really performed well all preseason," Linehan said. … After another solid outing, Brock Berlin appears to have a solid edge over Bruce Gradkowski in the competition for the No. 3 job at quarterback.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Re: Linehan sees Long, Carriker coming around

With all the hype around our 2nd overall pick and watching our rookie receivers i had forgotten about our 2nd year NT. I hope he's developing nicely, there hasn't been that many articles about his training camp performance.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

NT? I thought it was commonly accepted that Carriker played much better at UT and that's where he was staying?

eldfan is offline Registered User

"Playing mostly nose tackle, Carriker isn't going to pile up gaudy numbers. "But he eats up those blockers, (so that) the linebackers can run sideline to sideline," Linehan said. "He does a great job of that."

As a defensive end, Long should be in on more stops. But after playing in a 3-4 alignment at the University of Virginia, he essentially is relearning the position in the Rams' 4-3."
    Both players are learning new position Carriker came in as a DE but I have faith both of these guys are going to have great careers it's not like they don't have any tallent.
    Last edited by HUbison; -08-25-2008 at 09:50 AM.
    :ramlogo:

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Carriker plays more of an NT when Glover is in with him and more of a UT when Ryan is in.

Tackling stats are crap anyway, and I don't care what the hell they get credit for. What I care about is them collapsing the pocket, putting the QB under fire, and stuffing holes in the run game so that the 'backers get free runs to the RB.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Carriker plays more of an NT when Glover is in with him and more of a UT when Ryan is in.

Tackling stats are crap anyway, and I don't care what the hell they get credit for. What I care about is them collapsing the pocket, putting the QB under fire, and stuffing holes in the run game so that the 'backers get free runs to the RB.
    That's exactly right.

For one thing the tackling stats don't show how far down the field the tackle was made. Of course it's usually a good sign if the D-line makes some tackles because you know they're probably close to the line of scrimmage. But for say a CB you can't really say if a tackle meant that he helped shut down the run or tackled someone else's coverage failure or got beat himself. There's just no substitute for watching the games. Especially when evaluating individual defensive players' performances, so let's not get too worked up over the lack of tackles for Carriker and Long.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Carriker is being misused. He shouldn't be playing Nose, there's just no way. Big Run-Stuffers, that come out on passing downs can be had for a lot less than a top-ten pick. Somecome in the sixth round and some as Free Agents.

Carriker is being misused and his career will be cut short. His athleticism is being totally wasted at NT.

Not to mention he's better at under tackle.

Long is a rookie. Rookies (almost) never do anything. Long will be a good player when he becomes accustomed.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    Carriker is being misused. He shouldn't be playing Nose, there's just no way. Big Run-Stuffers, that come out on passing downs can be had for a lot less than a top-ten pick. Somecome in the sixth round and some as Free Agents.

Carriker is being misused and his career will be cut short. His athleticism is being totally wasted at NT.

Not to mention he's better at under tackle.
    And hopefully Ryan steps up and becomes a full-time player at that position, allowing Carriker to make the move over to under tackle on a permanent basis. Until then, he's going to see time at both spots.

On a side note, interesting tidbit buried in this thread about Culberson likely winning the starting SLB job.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I like the fact that we basically have 4 starting linebackers on hand. We certainly have our share of depth concerns, but at least at linebacker we won't really be in trouble unless 2/3 of the starters are out at the same time.

The defensive line depth isn't sounding so bad either with Adeyanju's improvement and the resurgence of James Hall.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Carriker is just in the wrong place. UT is his home. He plays quite well and makes others around him better when he plays there. Maybe we could switch it out. it needs to be done.

I hope both guys can improve well.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

From what I've seen, Chris Long has been doing pretty well for his first year so far. He's going full speed every play and I dont see him give up, which is great for our D. I will criticize him on one aspect. Chris needs to stay home when the ball goes the other direction. He's a bit anxious to get in on the play. I've seen him mess up on two reverses this preseason, but He'll fix that.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And hopefully Ryan steps up and becomes a full-time player at that position, allowing Carriker to make the move over to under tackle on a permanent basis. Until then, he's going to see time at both spots.
    Hopefully is right because Carriker needs the opportunity to settle in to the UT position and master it.

After Saturday's 24-10 victory over Baltimore, four Rams were added to the injury report: wide receivers Drew Bennett (groin), Dante Hall (ankle) and Reche Caldwell (knee), and cornerback Darius Vinnett (knee).
    Anyone else think Bennett's injury might be a blessing in disguise? I really like the guy, but at this point I think the "drops" thing is in his head and we might be better served going with the rookies. As for Dante, he's great as a return guy when healthy, but I get the impression that his body just can't hold up anymore. Hope I'm wrong.