RamWraith is offline Registered User

Linehan steps front and center but fault abounds

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Tuesday, Sep. 09 2008
    In the earliest days of the offseason, while the wreckage of a 3-13 campaign
    was still fresh in his memory, Scott Linehan looked inward before acting
    outwardly on what was needed to improve the Rams.

Linehan's first conclusion was that he had to handle the losses better. He
    couldn't be moping about a Sunday defeat on the following Friday. He had to go
    over the mistakes Monday and move on to the next challenge. He absolutely,
    positively couldn't let bad feelings from a bad loss spiral into an 0-8 start
    like last season.

Well, one game into the 2008 campaign and Linehan already is standing at that
    crossroad. After a disastrous

38-3 season-opening loss in Philadelphia, Linehan will be put to the test. How
    do he and his team handle losing? How do he and his team climb out of this
    early hole?

"You have to keep the perspective that it is one game, but you have to call it
    like it is," Linehan said. "We didn't play very well, and it's my job to get
    the team prepared to play. ... If you want to put your eyes on the person that
    didn't get their job done, it's me."

In his remarks to the team Monday afternoon, Linehan said that accountability
    has to be high across the board.

"We have to all look at ourselves and say this was not an acceptable
    performance for our football team," he said. "We're going to have to play much
    better; that's a simple statement, but it's true."

There were no public executions Monday at Rams Park. Linehan didn't scream or
    throw objects during his news conference. But he made no excuses, nor did he
    mask his disappointment over what took place Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field.
    Namely, that the Rams got outplayed and outcoached in all three phases of the
    game.

"I expected it to be much more competitive," he said. "I was very surprised at
    the outcome. You can sit here and come up with all kinds of reasons but the
    bottom line is, the opponent we played had a nearly flawless game against us,
    and we didn't do anything to combat that.

"We didn't play good enough in any phase to make it the kind of game that we
    expected it to be. We're going to have to play a whole lot better in the
    upcoming games if we expect to win them. We can't expect to win any game if we
    play like that."

As the season goes on, the Rams may discover that many teams perhaps even
    most teams are better than them. But at least make the other team beat you;
    don't beat yourselves by making avoidable mistakes.

On defense, for example, the Rams made it way too easy for quarterback Donovan
    McNabb and the Eagles' receiver corps because of improper technique and busted
    coverages.

"In the secondary, we didn't play with the proper leverage all the time,"
    defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said. "We got beat one-on-one. ... Let's just
    say it like it is: We didn't play well on the back end and we didn't get a lot
    of pass rush on McNabb up front, and the combination was 400 yards passing."

But there were also running plays that Haslett said weren't defended properly.
    He said the linebacker corps made some "poor" errors in judgment on some plays.

"So you can spread the 'wealth' around (Sunday) to everybody," he said.

The Eagles had five pass plays go for 25 yards or more Sunday. Those five plays
    alone accounted for 245 yards of offense and on at least two of them, the
    receivers were wide open because of breakdowns.

"You can't win in this league giving up plays like that," Haslett said.

On offense, the Rams did the worst possible thing against a blitzing Eagles
    defense with very good cornerbacks: Time after time, the Rams backed themselves
    up into predictable passing situations.

The average "yards-to-go" on the Rams' 11 third-down plays was 10. And in the
    NFL, you're not going to convert many third-and-10s on anybody, especially the
    Eagles. The average conversion rate on third and 10 or more in the NFL is 17
    percent, according to offensive coordinator Al Saunders.

"You just don't want to get in those situations," Saunders said. "Being a
    one-dimensional team against Philadelphia is tough."

But the St. Louis offense seemed to take two or even three steps backward
    for every step forward against the Eagles. Six false-start penalties tend to
    have that effect.

"The question from everybody is what happened?" Saunders said. "Quite frankly,
    we're a timing and rhythm offense, and we didn't have a lot of that on Sunday.
    We played a very, very good (Philadelphia) defensive football team that matched
    up very well against our offensive team."

True. But guess what? The defending Super Bowl champs, the New York Giants, are
    coming to town Sunday. And they match up well against just about everybody.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: Linehan steps front and center but fault abounds

We need Linny to flip out at the podium and have a Jim Mora moment where he screams something like "PLAYOFFS?!?!? PLAYOFFS?!?!?" I dunno- I might be wrong, but I get the feeling that Linny is afraid to call out his players and coaches- I think he's so afraid of losing them completely is he hasn't already. Yeah, he's the coach and ultimately takes the blame, but he's also the coach and has the right to challenge his player's dedication to playing the game right.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

He should call another news conference and resign. His stupidity is endless.

eldfan is offline Registered User

"As the season goes on, the Rams may discover that many teams perhaps even
    most teams are better than them. But at least make the other team beat you;
    don't beat yourselves by making avoidable mistakes.'

Agree at least make the other team beat you . I been a rams fan a long time and it pains me to know end, but that first line of that quote is true. I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worse.
    :ramlogo:

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    We need Linny to flip out at the podium and have a Jim Mora moment where he screams something like "PLAYOFFS?!?!? PLAYOFFS?!?!?" I dunno- I might be wrong, but I get the feeling that Linny is afraid to call out his players and coaches- I think he's so afraid of losing them completely is he hasn't already. Yeah, he's the coach and ultimately takes the blame, but he's also the coach and has the right to challenge his player's dedication to playing the game right.
    Wow this is the best post I've seen from you. Not only was the post good it was right on target and well thought out.....

Please give us more this is much better than the BLAME GAME or WHAT IFS.....

GO Rams

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

"We didn't play very well, and it's my job to get

I could have told you that right after the game Scott. You should have called me.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    "We didn't play very well, and it's my job to get

I could have told you that right after the game Scott. You should have called me.
    He should have taken a quote from Rob Schneider in The Waterboy and just said "OH NO WE SUCK AGAIN" end of press conference.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    He should have taken a quote from Rob Schneider in The Waterboy and just said "OH NO WE SUCK AGAIN" end of press conference.
    HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA. Great post.

So, we need to fix the team, and we sign a WR? Why not a new DE, or something we can really use....

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA. Great post.

So, we need to fix the team, and we sign a WR? Why not a new DE, or something we can really use....
    You know whats funny? We are going to sign Kennison for peanuts and he is going to play better than Bennett has for us.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    You know whats funny? We are going to sign Kennison for peanuts and he is going to play better than Bennett has for us.
    This comes back to everything that started in the offseason. He might play better than Bennett.

But we lost Bruce...for who? Bennett? nah. If Kennison makes an immediate impact, I'll eat my shoe.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    This comes back to everything that started in the offseason. He might play better than Bennett.

But we lost Bruce...for who? Bennett? nah. If Kennison makes an immediate impact, I'll eat my shoe.
    Will you be eating that shoe before or after you walk the dog?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I agree with Dominating D on this one, Moloch. This is quite possibly your best post. I completely and totally agree with you. I would regain at least some respect for him if he actually did break down and yell at the top of his lungs after that loss, bemoaning how he didn't get them motivated enough, and calling out Hill and other players that got beat big time. If he could get himself fired up, maybe he could actually get his guys to go out and be fired up. But of course, we can only hope he finds the power to do so...

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Wow this is the best post I've seen from you. Not only was the post good it was right on target and well thought out.....

Please give us more this is much better than the BLAME GAME or WHAT IFS.....

GO Rams

I beg to differ- all of my posts are top quality, Grade A, beautifully written examples of upper echelon wit and wisdom. I'm thinking of collecting them all and putting them out in a book aptly titled, "Moloch's Musings: A Stellar Collection of Utter Brilliance"