RamWraith is offline Registered User

Linehan stresses weight-and-see approach

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    03/18/2006

Rams coach Scott Linehan won't be in the weight room Monday, supervising lifts and encouraging players. That's the job of strength and conditioning coaches Dana LeDuc and Brad Roll.

But as the players report Monday for the start of offseason conditioning, they should notice Linehan's imprint. He wants a renewed emphasis on the program and a more gung-ho approach.

"We're going to do things somewhat differently," Linehan said. "I kind of like the old-fashioned, kind of the college philosophy, in the weight room. ... We're not going to totally go crazy, go over the edge with these guys. But we certainly want to train them, get them ready, so they can be in the best possible shape once we hit camp."

The program runs 14 weeks, or until the end of June, with players lifting and running four days a week, a couple of hours per day.

"We want to be progressive in our approach," Linehan said. "We've got some new equipment, some state-of-the-art equipment, that is going to help them become explosive football players. This equipment's designed specifically for training the football athlete."

The equipment may be high-tech, but the approach will be old-school.

"There's no messing around," Linehan said. "Don't expect a coach to see guys sitting on the benches. We want them moving around, working and training.

"Obviously, everybody talks about building championships. You start in the offseason. I think you do it with a great offseason program in the weight room and conditioning. ... This is where you get yourself ready, right here."

Although technically voluntary, regular attendance is expected at the offseason program, and usually more than 90 percent of the Rams participate. Several Rams will be limited in what they can do because of injuries and may spend more time with athletic trainer Jim Anderson and his staff than in the weight room.

"All the guys that are under contract I would expect to be fully involved in the offseason (program)," Linehan said. "Again, we can't make them do it. It's voluntary. But if you expect to be the best, then you ought to be putting in the time to do that. If we don't have 100 percent attendance, we're going to continue to work on getting as close to that as we can."

LeDuc, who is entering his eighth season on the Rams' staff, is excited about the purchase of new free-motion and leg equipment. Roll is new to the staff, replacing Chris Clausen.

As for the change in approach under Linehan, LeDuc says, "There'll be a lot more fire. A lot more intensity. That's what coach wants, and that's what we're going to give him."

There are certain basic strength levels that are important to achieve in all players, regardless of position. But weight training and conditioning drills are tailored to the demands of a specific position, as well as specific individual needs.

Within the quarterback position for example, Marc Bulger wants to do extra work to strengthen the muscles in his shoulder area following a series of injuries to his throwing arm the past couple of seasons.

"We want to be able to help (players) enhance areas of weakness, so that we can help to make them physically as complete as possible," LeDuc said.

"More importantly, is the improvement of power - your mass times speed. You want these guys, at their body weights, to be as fast and to be able to cut as quickly as they possibly can. Change of direction. ... This is critical, because it's not a straight-line game. It's a game of angles."

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

Re: Linehan stresses weight-and-see approach

Great article, thanks RW.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Within the quarterback position for example, Marc Bulger wants to do extra work to strengthen the muscles in his shoulder area following a series of injuries to his throwing arm the past couple of seasons.
    Yes, and cheeseburgers. Muscle or fat, either way. Whatever can add some padding to our boy's frame.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

It's good to hear they're working hard.

bigredman is offline Registered User

I like the fact that the team has invested in new equipment. I'm impressed with the HC's approach to weight training. Hopefully the strength coach will have the ability to motivate the players by having their respect of his knowledge and authority. Linehan will have to make some visits to enforce his program and expectations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Varg6 is offline Registered User

yeah, its great that Linehan is into all this. He himself I believe was a QB, so he obviously went through those workouts in football too. I really am optimistic with this new HC, I think he's great.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Weight training is an absolute necessity not only in the sport of football, but in life as well. Weight training 4-5 days per week relieves stress and gives you constant strength and confidence and I am proud to hear of this approach by Bulger and the mighty Rams.