Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Linehan takes hard look at himself

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Tuesday, Jan. 01 2008

There will be coaching staff changes and numerous player changes in the weeks
    and months to come. But before going there, Rams coach Scott Linehan is
    starting his evaluation process by looking in the mirror.

"I'm actually spending this week really putting a lot of thought into
    evaluating the season, starting with myself to be honest with you," Linehan
    said. "Looking at the things that I've got to change first, before we start
    talking about the staff and the personnel on our team. If I can come to terms
    with that first, I think I can make much better decisions (on everything else)."

With the dust barely settled on a 3-13 season, Linehan already has come to one
    key conclusion on Linehan. Namely, he has to do a better job of handling
    adversity.

"I personally was devastated by the way we started the season," Linehan said.
    "I didn't want to admit it, or tried not to show it. And I'm not going to say
    the first four games or eight games; I'm talking about the first couple (games).

"If you go into a season, and you drop your first game or first two games, if
    you're feeling that disappointment or whatever, it sometimes may affect you."

After squandering second-half leads in home losses to Carolina and San
    Francisco to start the season, Linehan believes he started pressing.

"And it showed up in maybe how I coached, how we played and performed," Linehan
    said. "Hopefully, I've learned that lesson, and won't do that again. ... You've
    really got to put those (tough losses) to bed as quick as possible, and move on
    and get yourself ready to go with a whole fresh approach."

But Linehan realizes he can't sit around all month in self-reflection. The
    annual West Coast summit meeting with team president John Shaw and president of
    football operations-general manager Jay Zygmunt will take place sometime in
    mid-January.

The Senior Bowl is in late January, and because the Rams finished with the
    worst record in the NFC, Linehan and his staff probably will be asked to coach
    one of the squads of NFL draft prospects all week leading up to the all-star
    game.

"I'm not opposed to that," Linehan said. "Certainly with the high pick we have
    this year, it can be very valuable."

The Rams have the No. 2 overall pick in the draft. The Senior Bowl also is a
    job fair for assistant coaches looking for jobs, and head coaches looking for
    assistants.

Does Linehan foresee many changes on his coaching staff?

"I don't know," Linehan said. "There possibly could be a change or two. I think
    it's only fair to say that at this point."

But Linehan doesn't have a firm timetable on making staff changes, and says he
    really hasn't given the topic much thought until now.

To get things right in 2008, the Rams must hit on their first- and second-round
    picks in April. Free agency can help, but Linehan realizes teams are doing a
    better job of keeping their own free agents, thus thinning the market.

"So I don't know how much is done in free agency," Linehan said. "It's hard to
    get guys out. I think you've got to really look at free agency and trades.
    Trades are probably as good a way as any to change the face or the culture of
    your team, veteran-wise."

Over the next several weeks, Linehan also plans to meet with most of his
    current Rams players, either in person at Rams Park or on the phone.

"We've got to have a lot better offseason," he said. "We've got to see
    improvements in our offseason program. And the attitude and mind-set of our
    team's got to change. And it's got to start now. We can't wait until September."

Linehan is just glad he has a chance to make things right in '08, while
    realizing it's very much a make-or-break year for him as Rams head coach.

"I know the sense of urgency is there," Linehan said. "You put a lot of time
    and energy into a couple drafts and a couple years. You finish 8-8 (in '06),
    and then you turn around the next season and for whatever reason you have a lot
    of adversity and you have a tough year."

So he's grateful for the vote of confidence Shaw gave him in early December.

"It's a good sign for me, not just because I'm still standing, but that we've
    got (people) who have enough patience to understand that it does sometimes take
    time to get things done," Linehan said. "They've been through it before."

Namely, in bringing back Dick Vermeil for a third season after he won just nine
    of 32 games in 1997 and '98. Vermeil and the Rams, of course, won the Super
    Bowl in the '99 season. Linehan realizes Rams ownership and management could've
    easily fired Vermeil after a 4-12 season.

"And just moved on to another guy," Linehan said. "They hung in there (with
    Vermeil)."

Just like they're hanging in with Linehan for a third season after the 3-13
    disaster of 2007.

"Hopefully, I'll be the beneficiary of that patience and that support," he
    said. "I truly believe that it's a blessing to have another shot."

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Linehan takes hard look at himself

what do you think the guy in the mirror is saying back at Linehan ?

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

This is nothing at all like Vermeil.

It does sound like Linehan is saying he'll be better prepared to deal with an 0-8 record
    in the future. Just what I needed to hear.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I thought it was all injuries? Was there more too it?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    I can't say that I'm not impressed with what he said there. He knows he screwed up royally. I am in a crossroads with him, always have been. I am fine with firing him, but at the same time if we give him another year I am not sure how awful that could be depending on the draft and whatnot.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Atlease he's not being an idiot and blaming it on his players. He knows what he's done, and he wants to show the world what he can do. 3 strikes and youre out. hes on strike number 2.

hopefully he can do something with the free agency (picking up a big name) there and signing our players.

But if he can some how read this...you lose Isaac Bruce...we want Chad Johnson or Randy Moss in return. It'd be the only way I'd be happy

mdram is offline Registered User

What coaches would he fire. If he does not fire haslett he won't be able to touch the defensive coaches. He needs to bring in a OC. I don't see that happening.
    They will fire softli and bring and Donahue and that will be there big shake up.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post

After this season, I believe I may have another shot, and I don't even drink...:\
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Spiderwolf is offline Registered User

Linehan is a terrible coach and should just quit so we can get a decent coach in here. Who? I dont know, but I think anyone would be better than this guy!

RealRam is online now Registered User

:\ Well, we'll see, we'll see.

As V6 said, I too am at the crossroads with Coach Linehan. Yes, the 2008 draft will be important; make that imperative, imperative that good choices are made to be put into action immediately. As will having a new OC -- still thinking Coach Ellard might do fine but I'm not sure.

But the real determining factor will be Coach SL himself. This has been brought on by both the overwhelming number of key injuries in '07 as well as by some very evident situations that pertain solely on coaching (I'm still flabbergasted, for example, at the joking and smiling that was on our HC when talking with Bulger during the Pittsburgh game just before Holt began to vent for the INT on 4th down -- can't understand that and now don't really care to).

I'm just glad Coach is 'trying' to be honest with himself and with the organization. He knows all too well that next season will fall directly, fully, and squarely on his shoulders.

Let's hope he does some serious workouts till then. :bash:

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

My favorite part is obviously the statement about being grateful that the front office realizes it takes time (to turn anything around).

No truer words have been spoken.

Whether any of the non-supporters admit it or not, it is virtually impossible to suceed under the conditions we found ourselves in this year.

Even if Linehan was coach of the year, we would not have been a playoff team with all our injuries in my estimation.

And if we were, and got hammered in the wildcard game, would it have been worth it to lose a top five pick?

I say no...For me, if we don't have a legitimate chance of contending, I'd rather end up like we did rather than the middle of the pack.

I know basketball is different, but because David Robinson got hurt one year, the San Antonio Spurs were able to draft Tim Duncan the following year, and the rest is history.

I understand the frustration of a season like this, but to me, it's actually a blessing in disguise because I believe we sorely need a top 5 pick.

Now we can actually draft the very best player for us, instead of hoping a particular player drops.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

How long have members here been saying the same things about the Rams team and Linehan, that its just not the injuries, but the person looking back in that mirror. It took how long before Linehan to have this revelation.

If Linehan survives this off season, all I can say is good luck Scotty, your gone to need it. Considering how slow he is off the blocks, it might be June that something possitive is done

:\

Well he has at least hit on the solutions to the problems. More aggressive free-agent activity in the offseason (something I been saying in week 2 of the 07 season). Thankfully he knows how important it is to retain some of the free agents--have to see how he fairs there which many here this pass month have voiced a concern over.

Just about every board member had to scratch their head and try and fathom his chose of OC. And yet everyone here ot some extent or the other voiced criticim, dismay, and concern over players....some of those players have already been weeded out (LATE IN THE SEASON OF COURSE)

Linehan's resent reading of the tea leaves, just echos what most have already voiced ALL BLOODY SEASON LONG. Pity it took the whole of 07, a year we'll never get back, to come to these heart felt observations. I wounder if a bee would sting Linhan that it would take him a week to registor the pain

Come April we well see if there is hope or tears of dispair for 08

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

Loserhan Is Saying This To Get Us Fans To Buy His Crap And So Tickets Can Sale Next Year, This Is All A Trick, Don't Be Fooled. Loserhan Sucks Big Time
    Last edited by rams 24/7; -01-02-2008 at 06:44 AM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Atlease he's not being an idiot and blaming it on his players. He knows what he's done, and he wants to show the world what he can do. 3 strikes and youre out. hes on strike number 2.

hopefully he can do something with the free agency (picking up a big name) there and signing our players.

But if he can some how read this...you lose Isaac Bruce...we want Chad Johnson or Randy Moss in return. It'd be the only way I'd be happy
    I'm not so sure going from 6-10 to 8-8 is strike one?

Going from 8-8 to 3-13 might be worth 2 strikes though.

rams2061 Guest

He needs to take a harder look at himself and resign.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast