throwback week

View Poll Results: If Martz could have gotten along with the FO. Whos regime would you rather have?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Linehans regime

31 60.78%
  • Martz regime

20 39.22%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Re: Linehan vs Martz Regime

ah, so your changing this THREAD topic ....... I see. Well why dont you start another thread about how much you hate Martz and leave this THREAD topic alone then? mmmm

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE
    No not really, its all about open discussion & fellow opinions
    I'd say that allowing an additional 5 pages of dead horse beating would pretty well show that open discussions (no matter how silly they may be) are encouraged. As are opinions. For example, it's my opinion that trying to judge between the Martz regime (2000-2005) and the Linehan regime (February-June) is kind of silly.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Being comfortable at this point in time with Linehan is fine, but to make any comparison to the previous regime is baseless, unless your measure of a staff is what happens in minicamp.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE
    Well first let me express my apolgy for assuming, but usually when someone is surprised a thread wasnt deleted, i take that they have no interest in it. So if you do want to discuss this further, lets

First i believe the change had to be made. Martz regime was on a down hill slid going 8-8 & 6-10 over the past two seasons (not excatly the calibar of football any of us want). The power struggles with the FO & some players now are coming out with their displeasure of the old regime. Now my comfort level comes from knowing that changes have been made, & areas of concern are being addressed. Have we won a single game yet no, but their sure seems to be a new life breathing in Rams park the focus Linehan & the FO have seem to be meshing, the TEAM seems to be fired up for a new beginning, competition for starting spots is hot all over. This brings me a certian level of comfort that the Rams are headed back up rather than down. Again this just my opinion.

I believe this thread is just about are you happy with the change from the old regime to the new, it was not really meant to bash Martz. And besides the Martz & Linehan debate will go hopefully a long time. And lets get excited about Linehan, He's our coach get behind him & support him, this is a new era for the Rams.
    You just proved my point. Sure it seems like things are going well, but nothing has really happened yet. So the way I look at this like some people think the Linehan regime are almost godlike already before they have even played a game. I think the realists in this thread are saying let's wait until we see the product on the field.

Just because some of us are reserving judgement until we actually see some games played doesn't mean we aren't behind Linehan.

I didn't like some of things Martz did, especially in the later years, but I'm not going to anoint Linehan king when he hasn't done much of anything yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Just because some of us are reserving judgement until we actually see some games played doesn't mean we aren't behind Linehan.

I didn't like some of things Martz did, especially in the later years, but I'm not going to anoint Linehan king when he hasn't done much of anything yet.
    Thought I'd drop back in to say BINGO!! :up:

RealRam is offline Registered User

Here, yours truly, is another former RAMartz supporter.

I always did maintain that he, MM, had his share of mistakes but by the same token, all in all, he did a GREAT job as our HC; his players respected and loved him, and, while controversial in his tactics and management, he awoke the power and the productivity of the NFL offense.

Linehan, so far so good. I feel fine with his planning thus far and hope/trust that he will build a positive 'Ramregime'.

GO-GO Linehan Ramregime! -- RR
    :angryram:

Two different eras, two very distinct "DNA", one of them embryonic. Let's give it some space to develop, allow it to start walking before it can run and become a 'Regime'.

coy bacon Guest

Yes Virginia, there is such a thing as a stupid question... case in point, this poll's question.

Since Linehan has no real regimehow can it be compared to Martz's?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

When Linehan takes the Rams to the playoffs 4 out of 6 years as the HC, then I'll say he's tied with Martz.

Until then, he has some major shoes to fill.

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Personally I hope Linehan is more successful than the Mad Scientist as that would mean a Super Bowl trophy for RAMS Park.

Until he racks up some wins in the playoffs it may be difficult to compare the two.

It seems Linehan has a better overall scheme for the entire team.

Seemingly he has yet to win one game as a HC.

Hopefully time will tell and make the ones that voted for him look like rocket scientists

I would like to dethrone the c-chicks and keep Warners' cards a few games behind as we clinch and have the number 1 seed, watching and waiting to play our first playoff game this season.:clanram:

I guess we could use another cinderella story with our new coach. It can't hurt!
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Sticking to the original thought of the thread... if Martz had no problems with the FO, which was the whole reason he was fired - politics within the organization, then I would easily take him and his 4/6 playoff seasons (last year should not count, he only coached five freakin' games) over a young rookie head coach. Larry Marmie most likely would've been fired by now, we would've still had the money to spend on Witherspoon, Glover, etc., and who knows - Haslett could've still been hired under Martz. Now that would be an interesting combo.

What it boils down to is Martz vs. Linehan. Martz is a proven winner; Linehan is a rookie head coach with, what, 5 months under his belt? At this point, I'll take Martz. Easy.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    Sticking to the original thought of the thread... if Martz had no problems with the FO, which was the whole reason he was fired - politics within the organization, then I would easily take him and his 4/6 playoff seasons (last year should not count, he only coached five freakin' games) over a young rookie head coach. Larry Marmie most likely would've been fired by now, we would've still had the money to spend on Witherspoon, Glover, etc., and who knows - Haslett could've still been hired under Martz. Now that would be an interesting combo.

What it boils down to is Martz vs. Linehan. Martz is a proven winner; Linehan is a rookie head coach with, what, 5 months under his belt? At this point, I'll take Martz. Easy.
    Thank you for trying to stick to the subject like Big Blue. IMO opinion going into this season I feel more comfortable with Linehan then I do Martz after seeing how this team has been falling apart under his control recently. I also like the moves that Linehan has made will he be a good Head Coach I donít know it is to early to say but I can say I like the personnel moves he has made so far. I like the defensive coordinator he hired and I like what he has done in the past as an offensive coordinator. Which IMO Martz was a better offensive coordinator then he was head coach.

Because of this I answered the question:

If Martz could have gotten along with the FO. Whos regime would you rather have?

As Linehans Regime.

This was never a debate about who is better or lets wait and see who is better. Itís about which coach would you rather have along with his staff. Some people really attacked this and tried turning it into who is a better head coach. I stated long ago in this thread that the FO donít have the luxury of hind sight and that it was intended to ask who you feel more comfortable with going into the next season. I am sorry if this question confused some people.
    If Martz could have gotten along with the FO. Whos regime would you rather have?

I am thankful that some people did not twist it around like others did. Some even used my name in their threads and said how it should be deleted.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez
    No, it’s about sensible discussion and fellow opinions, there is a difference.

To state here and now that Linehan is better than Martz is not very sensible at this point. Now it might be at the end of the season, but not now.
    Dez I think you missed the point. Its not about being better its about who you feel more comfortable with. Many people thought it would be the end of the world without Martz and now that we have had a chance to see Linehan put together a staff and go through the draft I was wondering how people feel about going into the season with Linehan vs with Martz. I can't say how good Linehan will be but I can say if I had to make the decision between Linehan and his staff or Martz and his going into this season it would be Linehan for me. Regardless of Martz having FO problems or not.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -06-12-2006 at 07:40 PM.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    And back in June 2000, if somebody asked the question of "Vermiel vs. Martz", it would have been just as silly as asking "Martz vs. Linehan" in June 2006.
    What is so crazy about asking how people feel entering the season with the new coach and his staff vs the old coach and his staff. I would have asked the same about the Vermeil and Martz coaching change. You can't be human and not think about how the new coach might do vs the old coach. In a few years from now it won't be about which coach and his regime would you want. It would be about which regime did a better job.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -06-12-2006 at 07:51 PM.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez
    No, itís about sensible discussion and fellow opinions, there is a difference.

To state here and now that Linehan is better than Martz is not very sensible at this point. Now it might be at the end of the season, but not now.

some how Dez with all due respect i think it was YOU that missed the point

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    Thank you for trying to stick to the subject like Big Blue. IMO opinion going into this season I feel more comfortable with Linehan then I do Martz after seeing how this team has been falling apart under his control recently. I also like the moves that Linehan has made will he be a good Head Coach I don’t know it is to early to say but I can say I like the personnel moves he has made so far. I like the defensive coordinator he hired and I like what he has done in the past as an offensive coordinator. Which IMO Martz was a better offensive coordinator then he was head coach.

Because of this I answered the question:

As Linehans Regime.

This was never a debate about who is better or lets wait and see who is better. It’s about which coach would you rather have along with his staff. Some people really attacked this and tried turning it into who is a better head coach. I stated long ago in this thread that the FO don’t have the luxury of hind sight and that it was intended to ask who you feel more comfortable with going into the next season. I am sorry if this question confused some people.

I am thankful that some people did not twist it around like others did. Some even used my name in their threads and said how it should be deleted.
    First thing is, you need to re-read my post because I didn't say this thread should be deleted. I said I was surprised it wasn't because of how the board is moderating posts these days (which I happen to like). This thread can go 100 pages, it won't bother me and I will still stick with my point that it's too early to make a choice.

I used your name because I was getting labeled with using the word "comfortable" when you were the one who was trying to take it in that direction. The title of the thread is Linehan vs Martz Regime which implies a direct comparison of the two regimes (which is impossible right now). Then you kind of changed your stance talking about comfort part way thorugh the thread. So I was making it clear that using that particular word was not my choice or direction it was yours.

Nobody twisted anything, some people think it's too early to compare or be able to make a fair choice when one regime is only a few months old.
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.