View Poll Results: If Martz could have gotten along with the FO. Whos regime would you rather have?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Linehans regime

31 60.78%
  • Martz regime

20 39.22%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Re: Linehan vs Martz Regime

Ok so hopefully we got this straight what this thread was about. And as it was asked i'm more comfortable with Linehan, now is he a better coach, i dont know but as i repeat myself TIME WILL TELL.

Now i do want to apolgize to all the Martz lovers out there, i know he is well loved here but the comparisions will be around for along time and the debates have only just begun(will save those for later threads).

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

If this thread is purely about who I am more comfortable with it, it would have to be Martz. I don't know enough about Linehan to be excited about him yet. He is an unknown with little experience as a head coach. Off-season changes are nice, but they don't mean we will see success during the regular season.

I wanted to get rid of Marmie in a big way. The defense needed changes. The offense was holding up just fine. We still have an offensive minded coach now, after hiring a new coach, and I don't know if that is a good thing. At least the defense seems to be moving in the right direction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE
    Ok so hopefully we got this straight what this thread was about. And as it was asked i'm more comfortable with Linehan, now is he a better coach, i dont know but as i repeat myself TIME WILL TELL.
    Comfort zones can change quickly, for both players and fans depending on what transpires between the lines. Let's just hope you're feeling comfortable a few games into the season.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    The title of the thread is Linehan vs Martz Regime which implies a direct comparison of the two regimes (which is impossible right now). Then you kind of changed your stance talking about comfort part way thorugh the thread.
    I never changed my stance here is my very first post taken from the beginning.

Here is my original post:
    Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    There seems to be a noticeable difference in the players.

1. Bulger seems happier now under the new regime. It sounds like he will have a little more freedom then before and have better protection schemes.

2. Kennedy is making negative comments about Kollars coaching style. Which I don’t think he should make but I can understand how a coach like Kollar could get old after a while to other adults.

3. Jackson has been bashing Martz.

4. Everyone is interested in our Ram defense being led by anyone not named Marmie.

5. We also made a strong attempt to add leadership on defense and address the TE position, which has been a weak link for a long time.

There is a rumor Faulk is unhappy but who knows if he was or was not last year also.

Bruce getting released and then resigned was a good sign that Bruce wants to be here.

IMO I think the players are happy to be rid of Martz.
    No where did I say Linehan was better then Martz as a head coach. I stated the current state of the Rams along with this poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Poll
    If Martz could have gotten along with the FO. Whos regime would you rather have?
    Its not a debate about who the better head coach is Linehan has never coached. Its about if you had to make the decision between the two and their coaching staff who would you pick to lead our Rams this coming season. People really should not try to twist and turn things around. You only refer to the headline Linehan vs. Martz with out even reading further or posting what I am talking about even after I try clarifying it further for you. By reading the headline why did you not assume it was about the better badminton player. It could be about anything until you read the details. It could be about offensive coordinators or anything until you read which would you rather have currently.

If you had to make a choice between Martz and his coaches or Linehan and his for this upcoming season which one would you choose?

The FO had to choose who would you choose before seeing the results of Linehan as a head coach?

Its easy after the fact but that is not what this thread was ever about.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -06-12-2006 at 09:25 PM.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    If this thread is purely about who I am more comfortable with it, it would have to be Martz. I don't know enough about Linehan to be excited about him yet. He is an unknown with little experience as a head coach. Off-season changes are nice, but they don't mean we will see success during the regular season.

I wanted to get rid of Marmie in a big way. The defense needed changes. The offense was holding up just fine. We still have an offensive minded coach now, after hiring a new coach, and I don't know if that is a good thing. At least the defense seems to be moving in the right direction.
    I respectfully disagree with your opinion. IMO our offense has been suffering the past two years. Part of it is playing with bad backup QBs. Martz allowed his starting QB to take a lot of hits with his offense. Bulger has missed a lot of time due to injury. Linehan has upgraded the backup position IMO and vowed to protect the QB better. Only time will tell how it pans out but I like the moves. IMO it was time for a change. At the beginning of last year I supported Martz although I was starting to become unhappy with his coaching and last years team was the icing on the cake. The Atlanta playoff game I think Dez could have walked for 200 yards rushing against our defense and last years defense was horrible.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

I never said you said Martz was better. Just like I never said this thread should be closed. Comfort came up later and you went in that direction. I didn't mean you were changing your argument.

It doesn't matter if the thread is about who's better (which you say it isn't, that's fine) or who you are more comfortable with. Some people feel and have expressed that there is no point in choosing Martz or a regime that is a few months old because nothing has really happened to base a choice on. So some feel there is no way to make a logical choice.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Varg6 is offline Registered User

ok...I'm gonna sum this up with the whole I love Linehan thing, we all get crazy about a new coach, and hope for the best, but in the end...these articles we read, and things we hear about how great the minicamp went, does not mean anything, it only matters when at the end of the day you go home with a W or L, its as simple as that...

TIME WILL TELL

this stuff is getting ridiculous now...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Ok lets rephrase the question alittle so we all gft on the same page. With the old coaching staff finshing 8-8 & 6-10 the past two seasons & on a downhill trend, Would you have rather had the old staff back tryin to fix the slid or would you rather have the new staff with their new offense & defense schemes tryin to right the ship?

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Ok lets rephrase the question alittle so we all gft on the same page. With the old coaching staff finshing 8-8 & 6-10 the past two seasons & on a downhill trend, Would you have rather had the old staff back tryin to fix the slid or would you rather have the new staff with their new offense & defense schemes tryin to right the ship?
    Even though you rephrased the question a bit, I still don't think the people who didn't make a choice originally would make one now. First if the old staff was here I have no idea what they would have done, it would all be baseless speculation trying to figure out if and how they would try and fix it, second the new staff hasn't done much of anything yet so I can't choose.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Even though you rephrased the question a bit, I still don't think the people who didn't make a choice originally would make one now. First if the old staff was here I have no idea what they would have done, it would all be baseless speculation trying to figure out if and how they would try and fix it, second the new staff hasn't done much of anything yet so I can't choose.
    Excellent points. There is no way for this to be clear enough to make a choice on. Too many unknowns and what if's.

If anything, this thread has been entertaining at a time when we need entertaining.

rebel13 is offline Registered User

A very interesting question and very easy to answer. Out with the bums that led the Rams to the top of the draft! Their track record speaks volumes. That is why they are in NFL siberia in the liberal mecca of socialized workers aka the Detroit Lions. Hahahah....Allow 'them' to work their magic and reduce the lowly lions to a place lower than whale sh*t. Good Riddance!!
    All hail the new guys...what's their name?

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

My only problem with this thread is that we don't know what might've happened if Martz had been around the whole year. He only coached 5 games but people want to lay the whole season on him. 8-8 and 7-9 are the worst records MM has had as a full-season coach, and damnit, I dreamed of those respectable records as a young Ram fan. Also, if Martz would've gotten along with the FO, as was the original idea in this thread, I still think Marmie would've been fired. His time was up, he was given his chance, MM friend or not. Jim Haslett still would've been available, along with all those free agents and the extra cap money [whereas in years before we had to settle for "middle-of-the-road" signees to fill holes]. Not only has Linehan not coached a single game yet with his regime, but we have no idea what would've happened this offseason under Mad Mike. That only complicates it more.

It's really easy to say Linehan will be better because he will "be more efficient with his timeouts, use the TEs, will protect the QB more, run the ball more, call audibles, pay more attention to the defense..." and many other 'anti-Martz' clichés that have nothing to do with observations of Linehan's coaching style [again, since he hasn't head-coached a single game yet], but seems to be just another lashing out of what most people didn't like about MM's coaching style [that beaten horse is six feet under by now].

In my humble opinion, I think all of that crap is overrated. Martz was running his system, utilizing 4 great WRs, passing to set up the run, had 'audible' routes built into his plays, finished with a top ten offense in all but one of his seasons, doing it his way, so it was easy for most people to overblow those unconventional tendencies when the team failed. His one downfall was Larry Marmie. And this offseason, shoot, we could've fixed that. If it weren't for the in-fighting and squabbling amongst the "throat slashers" in the Rams front office, anyway.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -06-12-2006 at 11:22 PM.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    Jim Haslett still would've been available, along with all those free agents and the extra cap money [whereas in years before we had to settle for "middle-of-the-road" signees to fill holes].
    IMO I don't think there would be any chance of Martz hiring Haslett had he stayed. He has to big of an ego to have another strong willed person around like Haslett. I also don't think we would have got Gus because it was Linehan who persuaded him. IMO Haslett helped persuade the defensive signings of Glover and Fahkir who both played for him. I think Spoon and Chavous were also persuaded by playing for Haslett. This is just my opinion I cannot prove or disprove it. But this is another part of why I am happy that we went in a different direction even if the FO would have got along with Martz.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -06-12-2006 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    I respectfully disagree with your opinion. IMO our offense has been suffering the past two years. Part of it is playing with bad backup QBs. Martz allowed his starting QB to take a lot of hits with his offense. Bulger has missed a lot of time due to injury. Linehan has upgraded the backup position IMO and vowed to protect the QB better. Only time will tell how it pans out but I like the moves. IMO it was time for a change. At the beginning of last year I supported Martz although I was starting to become unhappy with his coaching and last years team was the icing on the cake. The Atlanta playoff game I think Dez could have walked for 200 yards rushing against our defense and last years defense was horrible.
    No problem my friend. You don't have to agree with me.

I just know that we lost a lot of games because we had a poor defense and I blame Marmie for that, and Martz for hiring him. Martz was sick last year and I don't even consider last year a year worth comparing since he was never 100% in the game mentally or physically.

The offense kept us in a lot of games and, if they had a better defense backing them up, they would not have had to take as many risks to win games. Bulger could have played it safer and taken less hits if they defense was able to stop the other team from scoring and moving the ball.

You can say that our offense was suffering, and I will agree, but I think it was because the defense was not doing their job in creating winning situations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'll bet you will get a better response if you compare Marmie and Haslett.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]