View Poll Results: If Martz could have gotten along with the FO. Whos regime would you rather have?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Linehans regime

31 60.78%
  • Martz regime

20 39.22%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Re: Linehan vs Martz Regime

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Comfort zones can change quickly, for both players and fans depending on what transpires between the lines. Let's just hope you're feeling comfortable a few games into the season.

and we both know a few games don't make a season

Talking Re: Linehan vs Martz Regime

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Excellent points. There is no way for this to be clear enough to make a choice on. Too many unknowns and what if's.

If anything, this thread has been entertaining at a time when we need entertaining.
    nothing wrong with pullin up your pants and taken a stand.

and yes its been very entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel13
    A very interesting question and very easy to answer. Out with the bums that led the Rams to the top of the draft! Their track record speaks volumes. That is why they are in NFL siberia in the liberal mecca of socialized workers aka the Detroit Lions. Hahahah....Allow 'them' to work their magic and reduce the lowly lions to a place lower than whale sh*t. Good Riddance!!
    All hail the new guys...what's their name?
    LMAO couldn't agree more

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    My only problem with this thread is that we don't know what might've happened if Martz had been around the whole year. He only coached 5 games but people want to lay the whole season on him. 8-8 and 7-9 are the worst records MM has had as a full-season coach, and damnit, I dreamed of those respectable records as a young Ram fan. Also, if Martz would've gotten along with the FO, as was the original idea in this thread, I still think Marmie would've been fired. His time was up, he was given his chance, MM friend or not. Jim Haslett still would've been available, along with all those free agents and the extra cap money [whereas in years before we had to settle for "middle-of-the-road" signees to fill holes]. Not only has Linehan not coached a single game yet with his regime, but we have no idea what would've happened this offseason under Mad Mike. That only complicates it more.

It's really easy to say Linehan will be better because he will "be more efficient with his timeouts, use the TEs, will protect the QB more, run the ball more, call audibles, pay more attention to the defense..." and many other 'anti-Martz' clichés that have nothing to do with observations of Linehan's coaching style [again, since he hasn't head-coached a single game yet], but seems to be just another lashing out of what most people didn't like about MM's coaching style [that beaten horse is six feet under by now].

In my humble opinion, I think all of that crap is overrated. Martz was running his system, utilizing 4 great WRs, passing to set up the run, had 'audible' routes built into his plays, finished with a top ten offense in all but one of his seasons, doing it his way, so it was easy for most people to overblow those unconventional tendencies when the team failed. His one downfall was Larry Marmie. And this offseason, shoot, we could've fixed that. If it weren't for the in-fighting and squabbling amongst the "throat slashers" in the Rams front office, anyway.
    Good points Evil, I do believe Marmie would have been fired And yes alot of the things in the off season could have been the same. But i do doubt Haslett would have been brought in under MM. Just my opinion

Yes Linehan has not coached a game as a head coach but its not like hes new to the game (maybe a little green still) but he has shown he can run an offense

And my last counter is I as a fan want champinships under our belt, champinships are built with a strong defense & a staff that will adapt to any given situation in a game. So the cards have been dealt and i welcome the changes that have happened they look good now!!! and only TIME WILL TELL us all what lies ahead.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE
    nothing wrong with pullin up your pants and taken a stand.
    It's great to take a stand, if there is enough info to take a stand with. In this case, some of us believe there isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    It's great to take a stand, if there is enough info to take a stand with. In this case, some of us believe there isn't.
    I agree with you, but this thread was never about information or taking a stand. It was from the beginning about hating Martz. It's exactly the same as all the "I hate Martz" threads that were going around back last season. Everything from these people is "I believe" or "I think" or "In my opinion". There is no information, just pure speculation and hate.

But if those people really want some speculation, I'll give it to them. If Martz and the FO got along (as the original question posed), there would be no Linehan.

If Martz and the FO got along, Marmie wouldn't have been hired in the first place.
    If Martz and the FO got along, the roster would be vastly different as Zygmunt wouldn't be blocking Martz' personnel decisions.
    If Martz and the FO got along, FA's wouldn't be scared away by the in-fighting.
    If Martz and the FO got along, things would be more like 1999-2001 when they DID get along.

If Martz and the FO got along, none of us would even know the name Scott Linehan.

If Martz and the FO got along, the idea of getting rid of Martz would not even be considered as rational thought.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

fearlessone is offline Registered User

QUOTE=STLRAMSFAN]Thank you for trying to stick to the subject like Big Blue. IMO opinion going into this season I feel more comfortable with Linehan then I do Martz after seeing how this team has been falling apart under his control recently. I also like the moves that Linehan has made will he be a good Head Coach I don’t know it is to early to say but I can say I like the personnel moves he has made so far. I like the defensive coordinator he hired and I like what he has done in the past as an offensive coordinator. Which IMO Martz was a better offensive coordinator then he was head coach.

Because of this I answered the question:

If Martz could have gotten along with the FO. Whos regime would you rather have?

As Linehans Regime.

This was never a debate about who is better or lets wait and see who is better. It’s about which coach would you rather have along with his staff. Some people really attacked this and tried turning it into who is a better head coach. I stated long ago in this thread that the FO don’t have the luxury of hind sight and that it was intended to ask who you feel more comfortable with going into the next season. I am sorry if this question confused some people.
    If Martz could have gotten along with the FO. Whos regime would you rather have?

I am thankful that some people did not twist it around like others did. Some even used my name in their threads and said how it should be deleted.[/QUOTE]

One's "regime" or "rule" or "administration" or "system" in this league does not mean squat unless you play in the last game of the season as some fans with this organization expect every season.

To some this thread is totally moot because your use of the word "regime" was like comparing eras between the two leaders.

It is obvious that change was needed even if MM was going to stick around. The FO had to change to field a more productive and competitive team to appease their teams, decent FA's & fans' expectations, etc.

So Linehan's early "tenure" benefits from the FO being more professional than during the MM era as it seems that MM had bigger battles with FO, the media and KW
    etc., than he did with the opposing teams on the gridiron.

So the glossy feel good relationship that seems to be the current condition beteen the the new HC and the FO would make anyone feel more confident about one's new regime.

Time will tell if the FO is playing their customary
    "Emperor in their New Clothes" game.

I would take MM if he had the "love and support" from the FO that Linehan seems to enjoy at the moment.

The FO's shenaghans is a huge reason why we are at this point which probably has the cards and the c-chicks drooling.

Let's hope that our FO has learned a few lessons from its past regimes. I doubt it as these type of "turn on and turn off" mentality has been our crux of our inability to be a dynasty since Georgia took over.

I hope Linehan's true regime that includes W's & L's is superior to Martz's for obvious reasons.
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv
    I agree with you, but this thread was never about information or taking a stand. It was from the beginning about hating Martz. It's exactly the same as all the "I hate Martz" threads that were going around back last season. Everything from these people is "I believe" or "I think" or "In my opinion". There is no information, just pure speculation and hate.

But if those people really want some speculation, I'll give it to them. If Martz and the FO got along (as the original question posed), there would be no Linehan.

If Martz and the FO got along, Marmie wouldn't have been hired in the first place.
    If Martz and the FO got along, the roster would be vastly different as Zygmunt wouldn't be blocking Martz' personnel decisions.
    If Martz and the FO got along, FA's wouldn't be scared away by the in-fighting.
    If Martz and the FO got along, things would be more like 1999-2001 when they DID get along.

If Martz and the FO got along, none of us would even know the name Scott Linehan.

If Martz and the FO got along, the idea of getting rid of Martz would not even be considered as rational thought.

First keep in mind this is just a conversation pc. at no time are we or should we make this a personal attack on anyone or their beliefs. Now as far as Hating Martz, Naw not me hate is to strong of a word, dislike his style is more like it.

And speculation just makes the conversation interesting sometimes, i really think (o there i go again) people are reading to much into this it really is just some people thoughts.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Most just want more data in order to make a decision. some of you won't look at circumstances that surrounded Martz, you just hated him for what he did to Warner. Admit it. No matter that the man was a field goal away from a possible Super Bowl win against what turns out to be a team that was pretty darn good, that just doesn't matter. No matter that the man took this team to the playoffs 4 out of 6 years, that just doesn't matter. No matter that without Martz's input, 1999 wouldn't have happened, that just doesn't matter. He kicked the Golden Boy Warner out and a vocal minority got upset.

I'd say, let's wait and judge what Linehan does on Linehan's terms. We as true Rams fans want him to be successful, and if he is as successful as Martz actually was here in STL then I'll be an extremely happy fan.

live4ramin is online now Registered User

MM did kick "Golden Boy" Warner out; just like the damaged goods he was. And Martz'z inability to adapt, or change schemes, or get Warner some protection nearly got the guy killed. Warner stood in the breech like a hero and got tossed out with the trash.
    Let the hype begin.

Hey, this thread is fun.....lol.

Well, I just hope Linehan has as much success as Martz did, and just a tad bit more. If he does, I'll be an extremely happy fan.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Hey, this thread is fun.....lol.

Well, I just hope Linehan has as much success as Martz did, and just a tad bit more. If he does, I'll be an extremely happy fan.
    Fun, huh? Well, if physical abuse to a life-challenged equine is fun, then yep, we're having a ball up in here.

txramsfan, with any luck, Linehan will outperform Martz. That would mean a guaranteed SB victory and at least 5 of 6 years in the playoffs. But that's an awful high standard for a rookie coach to reach. Good luck, coach.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

The physical challenge I missed as during the day I am just a hit and run poster so I apologize for that remark if I made it.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    The physical challenge I missed as during the day I am just a hit and run poster so I apologize for that remark if I made it.
    LOL LOL No, no, my bad txramsfan. I was just making a joke (and a poor one it seems). LOL The "physical abuse to a life-challenged equine" was just my shot at the "beating a dead horse" point of this thread.

Sorry for the mis-com. LOL

No, I just don't have the time during the day anymore to see if something is a joke or not.

I have had a jokectomy during the day.....