psycho9985 Guest

Linehan wants to sighn Bruce I hope hes serious

Linehan wants to keep Bruce
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    03/06/2006

FILE PHOTO: Rams wide receiver Isaac Bruce
    ( CHRIS LEE/P-D)

If nothing else, Scott Linehan has shown himself to be an upbeat, positive-thinking person during his early tenure as Rams head coach. So it wasn't surprising to hear Linehan express optimism that wide receiver Isaac Bruce would re-sign with the club after being released Sunday night.

"Even though there was a cut that was made, it doesn't mean in my mind that we're not going to get a deal done," Linehan said. "So I feel very positive about resuming talks, and getting that uniform back on our guy. We'll do everything we can to make that happen."

When asked what made him optimistic about re-signing Bruce, Linehan said: "Because I think we're in pretty good position to start up the talks again. We're going to make a commitment to try to get it done. I'm sure there's other people that look there and say, 'Boy, it'd be nice to have him.'

"But his value to this organization is much higher than his ability as a football player, believe me. So we're going to make the effort that needs to be made to try to get it done."

While the Rams had only a brief discussion Monday with Bruce's agent, Jimmy Sexton, four teams had called expressing interest in Bruce by late afternoon. Sexton declined to name those teams, but the Post-Dispatch confirmed the identity of three of the clubs: Detroit, Houston and Washington.

Detroit is an obvious choice given the fact that former Rams coach Mike Martz is now the Lions' offensive coordinator.

It is unlikely that Bruce will take a tour of prospective future homes. As a veteran player, he doesn't really need to tour a facility or be wined and dined. And those close to Bruce say he remains hopeful that something can be done with the Rams.

If not, the early signs are that there will be a healthy market for Bruce. Some feel the uncertainty of the NFL's labor situation may slow player movement this offseason. But in terms of wide receivers, it's a seller's market.

It's a so-so year at that position in free agency. And the early line on the draft is that this is one of the leanest years for wide receivers in recent memory.

Bruce considered holding a news conference or issuing a statement on his release Monday, but he decided against it. Rams Park received many calls, to a variety of employees, complaining about Bruce's release.

"We're just keeping our fingers crossed that we can work everything out," Linehan said. "I guarantee from our end, we're doing everything we can to make it happen. ... We're going to re-negotiate from a free agent's standpoint, and we're obviously going to be in my opinion the most competitive team in the market for our guy."

What if it doesn't get done? What if one of the most prolific receivers in NFL history ends up elsewhere?

"Obviously, we've got to have a contingency plan, but I'm going from the standpoint that we're going to get it done," Linehan said. "We'll address that if we have to. To me, that's down the road. ... We're talking about a guy that to me you don't replace."

psycho9985 Guest

Re: Linehan wants to sighn Bruce I hope hes serious

I sure Martz will jump at the chance to sign him,and just maybe Isaac is looking forward to that.

viper is online now Registered User

I like Linehan's confidence and enthusiasm that he can get Ike resigned. Let's hope he's serious about it. It's not easy to replace a player of his stature. And I certainly don't want to have to play against him!

Jeff 8513 Guest

Isaac belongs in St. Louis, period. I'm sure that they will get something worked out. A new coach does not want to get rid of a guy who is so popular (and who still has plenty to offer), in his 1st year. To me, that would not be the smartest way to "begin" his reputation.

psycho9985 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff 8513
    Isaac belongs in St. Louis, period. I'm sure that they will get something worked out. A new coach does not want to get rid of a guy who is so popular (and who still has plenty to offer), in his 1st year. To me, that would not be the smartest way to "begin" his reputation.
    I agree.I think that would hurt his rep points

general counsel is offline Registered User

There is no way to tell what linehan really thinks. Its very easy to make ziggy and shaw the bad guys in this and have linehan say all the right things. This is not necessarily about linehan wanting bruce or not wanting him, its about whether he thinks there are better ways to spend money to improve the team. There is no reason he should have any emotional attachment to any player based on history. He is about the here and now and having the team win. I am not saying i agree with the rams on this, only offering a perspective. If linehan comes out and says he doesnt want him, linehan looks like a bad guy. If he says he wants him and the front office doesnt get him signed, that is not on linehans head publicly. Sure he wants him, but he wants him at a certain price.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

psycho9985 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    There is no way to tell what linehan really thinks. Its very easy to make ziggy and shaw the bad guys in this and have linehan say all the right things. This is not necessarily about linehan wanting bruce or not wanting him, its about whether he thinks there are better ways to spend money to improve the team. There is no reason he should have any emotional attachment to any player based on history. He is about the here and now and having the team win. I am not saying i agree with the rams on this, only offering a perspective. If linehan comes out and says he doesnt want him, linehan looks like a bad guy. If he says he wants him and the front office doesnt get him signed, that is not on linehans head publicly. Sure he wants him, but he wants him at a certain price.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Yep.What GC said.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

I have been so dissapointed and overwhelmed since Sunday nite that I have not even been able to post on this subject. I came as close to actually crying sun nite as I ever have until I read that there is still hope that we will resign the GOAT. Please God let us resign Isaac Bruce and let him retire a Ram eventually.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

A couple of other guys have alluded to it, and GC has a shrewd take on it, but I'd like to say that there's no way a 1st year HC goes out on a limb like this with a future HoFer in his first offseason.

I think the Rams were swayed by his "I'm easy" comment and gave him a [I]front[I]loaded tender that compared very well with guys in a similar position throughout the league. The deadline hit too quickly for much in the way of negotiation, or both parties erroneously thought it would force the other to make a deal, and all of a sudden, $8.1 million arrives as a potential cap hit and you have to do something to retain your flexibility.

In this case cut the face of your franchise.

I have faith this will get done. (If I repeat it enough I think it will happen)

jkramsfan Guest

i have had a very hard time dealing with this the last couple of days,i sit here and think what will it be like at the dome when they announce the starting lineup before the first game and no bruuuuuuuuuuuuce,i understand the process but it sucks.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Bruce still knows in his heart, that he'd be doing an awful lot of wrong to not come back to this team, I mean, how can you be on a team for over 10 years, then all the sudden be with someone else? And I'm not talking about some defensive player, I'm talking about someone who is beloved in his own state by his own team all that stuff, he's a mentor to these other guys, he really needs to stick with the Rams, and goddamit that CBA better come today so we can give him like a friggen 4 yr multimillion dollar contract

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

bruce_wannabe Guest

yes isaac no doubt belongs and deserves to stay in st.louis where he should end his career there. he should not have to pull a tim brown, henry ellard, jerry rice, cris carter, etc... but zygument is an asshole and has a stick up his ass because he believes he is never wrong and will not pay bruce the money he deserves