Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    faulk2jackson Guest

    Smile Linehan Wont Matter Anymore

    With Hasslett calling D and Saunders calling the O, all we need from Linehan is to call proper timeouts. With two Coordinators that could be HCs anywhere else, how much will Linehan be in power? Any opinions?


  2. #2
    btimsah Guest

    Re: Linehan Wont Matter Anymore

    That's pretty sad. Although anymore I've often said your assistants are MORE important than your coach.

  3. #3
    jquarando's Avatar
    jquarando is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    191
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Linehan Wont Matter Anymore

    Quote Originally Posted by faulk2jackson View Post
    With Hasslett calling D and Saunders calling the O, all we need from Linehan is to call proper timeouts. With two Coordinators that could be HCs anywhere else, how much will Linehan be in power? Any opinions?
    I think only 11 coaches in the NFL call their own plays. Usually any teams OC or DC is one phone call away from being a head coach so I see this as a good thing for the rams. Linehan will still matter cause he is involved in a lot of the game planning, and oh yeah coaching.

  4. #4
    PHAT-MONEY Guest

    Re: Linehan Wont Matter Anymore

    doesnt Belicheck call his own plays??? Head Coaches are abit overrated.. if you have the right assistants they will make anyone look like a good coach..

  5. #5
    Mooselini's Avatar
    Mooselini is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,724
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Linehan Wont Matter Anymore

    Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    That's pretty sad. Although anymore I've often said your assistants are MORE important than your coach.
    True. I couldnt have said that any better myself.

    Well Linehan obviously can't make a big name for himself, with these new assistants, he might make it big who knows. We'll find out.

  6. #6
    RamsSB99's Avatar
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mo
    Posts
    1,131
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Linehan Wont Matter Anymore

    Maybe it will mean that we will have a HC for the first time since Vermile. A coach that is not a coordinator but goes about making the best decissions, coach and personnel wise for the team. We won our only Superbowl with a HC Vermile who did not call the plays. I would prefer to have a HC that oversees special teams, defense, and offense. A guy that is not responsible for calling the plays. Then he is not to focused on the unit he is responsible for. He can focus more on weaknesses through out the team.

    I like a HC, OC, and DC to be three seperate people. I see each component being equally important. The HC is responsible for bringing in the staff they think can get the job done. The HC can also not worry about improving one unit the one he calls plays for but he is responsible for making decisions for improving the entire team with inout from the staff he picked. The coordinators can focus exclusively on play callijng without having to worry about practice schedules, planning, personnel decisions, and media coordination.

    I really believe doing two of these three takes away from one of the two they are doing.

  7. #7
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Linehan Wont Matter Anymore

    To be fair, the head coach isn't always responsible for choosing his own personnel. I think recent news has backed that up. For example, in Washington Dan Snyder hired an offensive coordinator before he had a head coach. Clearly the future head coach got no say in that. In Oakland, Al Davis refused his head coach's request to replace a new defensive coordinator. And of course Martz wasn't Vermeil's choice for offensive coordinator. The truth is when the head coach is taking on jobs like picking players or even coordinators, he's somewhat infringing on the territory of the GM--whose job it really is to make decisions on hiring and firing people. In some cases, the coach has actually functioned as both coach and GM. It usually doesn't work out.

    I agree that the head coach should be focusing on the big picture, but I think the question as to what exactly Linehan will do is quite valid. We have seen various references to him being a "lame duck" in 2008. I wonder how much this is true.

  8. #8
    jkramsfan's Avatar
    jkramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Destin,Fl.
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,507
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Linehan Wont Matter Anymore

    Quote Originally Posted by faulk2jackson View Post
    With Hasslett calling D and Saunders calling the O, all we need from Linehan is to call proper timeouts. With two Coordinators that could be HCs anywhere else, how much will Linehan be in power? Any opinions?
    I think Haslett and Saunders have forgotten more than Linehan knows,but surrounding himself with these two guys could be a double edged sword.first, he could be standing next to his replacement every Sunday next season or he could be looking at an extension because these two guys have turned this team around and made him look like a champ, either way I just want to see some major improvment next season.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -01-27-2008 at 03:07 PM.

  9. #9
    RamsSB99's Avatar
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mo
    Posts
    1,131
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Linehan Wont Matter Anymore

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    To be fair, the head coach isn't always responsible for choosing his own personnel. I think recent news has backed that up. For example, in Washington Dan Snyder hired an offensive coordinator before he had a head coach. Clearly the future head coach got no say in that. In Oakland, Al Davis refused his head coach's request to replace a new defensive coordinator. And of course Martz wasn't Vermeil's choice for offensive coordinator. The truth is when the head coach is taking on jobs like picking players or even coordinators, he's somewhat infringing on the territory of the GM--whose job it really is to make decisions on hiring and firing people. In some cases, the coach has actually functioned as both coach and GM. It usually doesn't work out.
    I would say Redskins and Raiders FO are as screwed up if not more so then ours. I would not use their FO's as a model to go by. Look at Bellichick, Parcells, Gibbs, and nearly all of the coaches (exceptions Skins and Oakland)in the NFL pick their OC and DC. There are far more coaches who pick their coordinators then not. It is not the GMs position normally to pick the HC's staff. It is his job to help negotiate the contract for the HC's choice for coordinators. The HC lines up his list in order on who he would like and the GM helps negotiate. Martz picked his own staff the entire time he was here and so did Linehan. You can argue about some of their choices but they picked their staff. Same with Bellichik and Parcells. Make a list of all the OC's and DC's in the NFL and when they where hired on if it was or was not the HC that wanted them there. I would bet money the majority of the coordinators where the HC's choice on who he wanted to be there based on the available candidates.

  10. #10
    St.Louis Ram 56's Avatar
    St.Louis Ram 56 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Frederick, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    113
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Linehan Wont Matter Anymore

    I agree with most of you, Im all for Haslett in total control of the Defense, And the Redskins offense was very mediocre...but then u have to realize what kind of A-hole Dan Sneider the owner is, Given the Rams Coaching Changes, This all may be for the good. Again so many positions to fill in the NFL so to speak, its slim picken's for sure..

    Cheerz Terry

  11. #11
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER's Avatar
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,277
    Rep Power
    56

    Re: Linehan Wont Matter Anymore

    Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    I think Haslett and Saunders have forgotten more than Linehan knows,but surrounding himself with these two guys could be a double edged sword.first, he could be standing next to his replacement every Sunday next season or he could be looking at an extension because these two guys have turned this team around and made him look like a champ, either way I just want to see some major improvment next season.
    As a manager in the business world, I know that one good sign of a great manager is one that is willing to train someone to take his/her place. Manager's, or a head coach, unwilling to do this are insecure and not top management material.

    I've said before that I'd prefer my HC to be the HC and not the OC or DC. Having two capable assistants doesn't deminish Linehan's power at all. In fact, IMHO, it improves it. He would then have two knowledgable guys reporting to him that could help in evaluating talent, run the defense and offense while Scott can concentrate of being the HC. He will still have the power to veto any decision made by the OC or DC, as it should be. But Linehan, or any coach, should have right-hand guys that are capable of stepping in. Personally, I'd like to get Saunders as the OC. He's a Martz-type OC and could work well with getting some of the players excited about the offense again.

    I'll be more than pissed if Saunders were to pick the Faiders over the Rams. Gawd, who in their right mind would work for Al Davis? Anybody but Chokeland, please.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

  12. #12
    jkramsfan's Avatar
    jkramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Destin,Fl.
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,507
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Linehan Wont Matter Anymore

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    As a manager in the business world, I know that one good sign of a great manager is one that is willing to train someone to take his/her place. Manager's, or a head coach, unwilling to do this are insecure and not top management material.

    I've said before that I'd prefer my HC to be the HC and not the OC or DC. Having two capable assistants doesn't deminish Linehan's power at all. In fact, IMHO, it improves it. He would then have two knowledgable guys reporting to him that could help in evaluating talent, run the defense and offense while Scott can concentrate of being the HC. He will still have the power to veto any decision made by the OC or DC, as it should be. But Linehan, or any coach, should have right-hand guys that are capable of stepping in. Personally, I'd like to get Saunders as the OC. He's a Martz-type OC and could work well with getting some of the players excited about the offense again.

    I'll be more than pissed if Saunders were to pick the Faiders over the Rams. Gawd, who in their right mind would work for Al Davis? Anybody but Chokeland, please.
    I agree as a manager in the business world also,always train your replacement so when it's your time to move up,theres nothing holding you back,but in this case both coaches would be selected ahead of Linehan for any head coaching job,so training your replacement could have a different meaning in this case.

  13. #13
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: Linehan Wont Matter Anymore

    Linehan can't get out of his own way. He's confused as a HC and you know what? He won't be the first guy to get confused in his first stint as a HC in the NFL. He may turn out to be good, but it won't be here in Rams land.

    Look, I don't think the Rams are that far off right now....but I also don't think that Linehan is a good fit for HC right now. I do think that the Rams may have got lucky when Washington pulled a brain muscle and imploded a playoff coaching staff but I think Linehan would even screw up Al Saunders
    Last edited by txramsfan; -01-28-2008 at 12:31 PM.

  14. #14
    onslaught11's Avatar
    onslaught11 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    186
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Linehan Wont Matter Anymore

    My perfect coaching scenario:

    Al Saunders - Head Coach

    Gregg Williams - DC
    Ken Zampese - OC

    or

    Henry Ellard - OC

    or

    Jerry Gray - DC
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

  15. #15
    moloch41's Avatar
    moloch41 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,617
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Linehan Wont Matter Anymore

    Quote Originally Posted by onslaught11 View Post
    Jerry Gray - DC
    Well, I'm with you about Haslett not being there and definately would love to see Jerry Gray in the DC position for the Rams. This guy did a heck of a job with no names in Buffalo. And he's a popular ex-Ram- which also would peak fan interest. The Yankees do that a lot- with Guidry, Mattingly, Girardi, etc....

LinkBacks (?)

  1. -01-27-2008, 02:05 AM

Similar Threads

  1. Jim Thomas Live Tuesday, January 15
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -01-17-2008, 03:29 PM
  2. Jim Thomas Live, Jan 4th
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -01-05-2008, 09:34 AM
  3. Postgame With Gordo, Dec. 30
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -12-31-2007, 03:31 PM
  4. Postgame With Gordo
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -12-21-2007, 10:18 AM
  5. Jim Thomas Live: 12/11/07
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -12-11-2007, 07:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •