RamWraith is offline Registered User

Linehan's conference

Head Coach Scott Linehan

September 10, 2007

(Opening Remarks)

“Orlando (Pace) is out for the year. He has a torn labrum and rotator cuff in his right shoulder. I feel real bad for Orlando. He worked very, very hard to get himself back from his triceps injury a year ago. He probably is in the best shape he’s been in a number of years. He really worked his butt off to get back to what I thought was his best condition, at least since I’ve been here. He had a real unfortunate injury. We’ll have to pick up the pieces for him as far as our personnel goes in our line. Next Sunday we’ll have our best five out there. Right now we’ll be working on a couple different scenarios. We feel very badly for Orlando, but the team will pick up the slack from that loss.

“Pisa (Tinoisamoa) had a right ankle injury. He’ll be day-to-day this week. It’s not a high ankle sprain, but it is a sprain. We’ll know more as the week progresses.

“Dante Hall came out with some cramps, but he’s alright. Richie Incognito is improving. We’ll probably know more with him by Thursday. Drew Bennett’s left quad is also improving. We’re hopeful for this week. There is no change in his condition until we start practicing full-speed on Wednesday, but we’re very hopeful for him.

“Victor Adeyanju had a left knee sprain that got worse as the week went on last week. That’s why he was inactive – no other reason. He just was not able to go full-speed. On Friday it had actually gotten worse, so we opted to put him down for this last game. He feels much better today and with an extra day – tomorrow’s rest, he should be fine.

“We had our opportunities and we did not take advantage of it. Carolina had theirs and they took advantage of them and executed what they had to do in the second half. The bottom line is you have to play your best football in tight games, in the second half, third and fourth quarters. As always you have to credit them for doing what we weren’t able to do. The biggest key is how we respond to a tough loss. It’s early in the year. We can’t do anything about it now other than learn from it, pick up the pieces, move on and correct the things that need to be corrected, as always. We need to be very, very positive, yet very, very critical of ourselves and what we need to do better and move on. It’s very, very simple.”

(On if the tape showed LT Orlando Pace’s injury)

“The tape didn’t show much. It showed the pass-set. He was helping on the inside man with his right arm. You really can’t see it, but it must have been a pretty dramatic blow to have that kind of damage in there. You see him turn out of that. He turns towards his man, but he was unable to do much. You can see his arm drop. I have not talked extensively to him about whether it was the punch or the blow or anything like that. It was a very unusual injury, but pretty severe.”

(On when Pace will have surgery)

“It will be soon. Nothing is set for sure now. The MRI was complete by noon today. We expected a little bit of how serious it could be or might be. I knew yesterday afternoon after the original x-rays showed some concern. I did not want to, until they did the MRI, make any announcement. Unfortunately we got probably the worst-case scenario.”

(On if Pace’s injury can be career-ending)

“The doctors say this is a correctable injury. It’s season-ending. He says six months is the general feeling you can come back from it. It’s too soon to say what implications there are for his future. It’s all up to the mindset of Orlando and how he responds to another recovery to a season-ending injury. He’s gone through one already, so he has to go through it again. It’s unfortunate.”

(On if the plan is to move RT Alex Barron to the left side)

“That’s one consideration. We’ve talked about that. It’s not set in stone. We have to figure out what’s best. You’re moving Alex from one spot, generally speaking you are changing two positions by moving him. If that’s the best move than that’s what we’ll do, but we’ll make the final decision at the end of the week.”

(On if the Rams will work any players out tomorrow)

“We’ll bring some guys in tomorrow – just to look at and consider. We’re going to have to add a roster spot, so we’ll be looking at some guys who are on the street right now.”

(On how G Adam Goldberg performed in place of Pace)

“He did fine. It was very similar to what he had to do against Seattle, last year, when he came in. That’s why he’s here. He has the ability to swing the tackle spots and play guard if needed. That’s why he was up in this particular game. We went with Milford (Brown) at guard because he would be the swing tackle. He came in and performed very well under the circumstances.”

(On if it possible to keep Goldberg at left tackle)

“It’s a possibility. We haven’t ruled out any of them. We’re talking about them right now.”

(On if who starts at right or left tackle could change each week based on matchups)

“Whatever we decide, we will want to stay that way. You have to help on the matchups. I think moving guys already is a hard strain on that line trying to get it together for working as a group. It’s what we have to deal with, but I think keeping them at the spot that we decide to keep them at is the best.”

(On a lot of teams having their best pass rusher on the left side)

“In general, I think a lot of times that depends on whether you have a right or left-handed thrower. It’s gotten to the point now where you have guys like Leonard (Little) or (Julius) Peppers or people like that who are on the other side. In general I think it has everything to do with whether it is the quarterbacks blind side or not.”

(On if the doctors discussed how Pace’s injury happened)

“Off the film they could not see how it could have been that serious, but obviously it was misleading because it was a pretty extensive injury. It was nothing that you would look at and say ‘boy he got hit there’ or ‘he got turned funny,’ it was really hard to see on film.”

(On what Pace has said about how the injury occurred)

“I have not talked to Orlando yet. He was still at Dr. Matt Matava’s office. He was actually out of the building last night by the time I got out of the locker-room. In fact, I just checked to see if he was back yet and he was not back yet from the doctor’s office. What he had told the doctors was, he just felt the thing get out when he was setting and when he punched. Very strange, but like I said that is part of this game. It’s the bad part about this game. On an individual basis, certainly for someone like Orlando who has worked so hard to get himself back to where he was. Obviously the team has to pick up the slack now.”

(On wanting the offense to be more aggressive)

“Yeah I’d like to see us play better. Aggressive? You know had we played the game out the way it went for two and a half quarters we would have come away with a victory. That’s hard, it’s easier to look back and say ‘yeah if we had not turned the ball over.’ But based on what we wanted to do in this game, based on what happened last year where we did not control the line of scrimmage and we were not able to establish anything in the run game, I thought we were able to establish that in the first quarter this game. Even to get in a pass mode last season and get the quarterback sacked by probably the best front you’re going to face all season, we basically never gave ourselves a chance. This year, we came out of the box good, drove down and scored. Steven (Jackson) was running very good, I thought. He had his pads down, lowering his pads and we were able to get some things going. We slowed in the second quarter but were able to take the lead at half against an extremely good football team and then came out of the gates with a great return. I was disappointed not coming out with seven out of that opening drive. That takes a little bit of wind out of your sails, but you still have to say you’re up by six and then we were in position again, with good field position to extend our lead to a two score lead and we had the unfortunate turnover. Actually back-to-back turnovers. That was a killer in this game. You will see the offense continue to improve and be an improving group as the season goes on and hopefully next game. We can’t wait all year to do it but you’ll see us continue to improve and get better.”

(On if he has spoken to RB Steven Jackson about his performance)

“He knows. We all know. We watched the film this afternoon. All of us, coaches included, could have done a lot of things better. You don’t have to make reference to it. It’s an obvious thing. He has been good in practice. He has been good when he has played in games before. He’s a great football player and when great football players have a game like that, come back and play great and that is what we expect.”

(On Jackson’s two fumbles)

“A lot of times what happens is it is somebody you don’t see, a hit from the back. Both hits were right in front which were very unusual. He had the ball pretty secure from the vantage point of watching the film and the hits came from right in front of him. They were good plays. Again you credit them for making a play but we can’t have the ball on the ground.”

(On if tackling can still be taught at this level)

“I think we had our spurts when we weren’t tackling well. I think we are working very hard at tackling. We work on it everyday. We practice in pads on Wednesday and mostly pads on Thursday. A good portion of what we do in individual drills is tackling and it can be taught and is being taught. Every four out of five plays I think our tackling was pretty solid. You have to tackle well all the time but when you don’t tackle well against good backs like they (Carolina) have you get exposed and we have to continue to get better at that. We are working very hard at that, we are just not there yet.”

(On if the game plan changed with TE Randy McMichael when Pace went out)

“I don’t know if it changed. Randy played very well; he was our Offense Player of the Week. He blocked very, very well. He is going to be a big asset to us in the run game and the pass game. When we start planning a rhythm offensively, he will be a part of it, just like all the pass-eligible players are. It didn’t change a whole lot other than based on where we were in the game. We wanted to continue to do the same things. Not only just help our left side but to help our tackles and our interior because their defensive line is a great strength of theirs. For the most part I think we were executing that fairly well and Randy was a big part of that. In a game like that your tight end has to help.”

(On not staying focused and not letting mistakes “snowball”)

“It’s a mindset. It’s a mental toughness thing. You have to be mentally tough as a coach to not let it affect you and as players and the leaders of the team. You can’t ride that wave of being extremely high when things are going well and then if you have some things go wrong, you can’t get down in the dumps. I think the biggest thing is trying to maintain a consistent level of intensity and it’s has to be high and you have to have the mental toughness to play the next play, regardless of what happened the series before. We came out and had two series where we fumbled. Each group has to pick each group up and that’s what we have to preach and that’s what we are preaching. We’ll get better. We’re going to be a football team that sticks together and does not get divided because of a tough opening loss. The focus is now that we have another home game against a division opponent and we have an opportunity to go 1-0 in our division – we did not start out 1-0 last year in our division. Our mindset now has to be learn from the tape…find out what’s going to be the best way for us to have success against San Fran and that’s where our mind has to be and it has to be that way in a game. You have to go from the first quarter to the fourth quarter and finish the game. You can’t get into a funk.”

(On if he feels differently about not giving RB Steven Jackson any preseason carries after his performance in the opener)

“Not really. You look at it…you go through all the should haves and could haves in the game. A couple of times I wish we might have ran the ball when we threw it, maybe we should have thrown the ball when we ran it. You can go through that whole scenario all the time. Steven was ready to play. He played very well in the first half. We established a lot more things in that first half than we did a year ago. It may not have been have been the flashiest thing in the world, but it’s hard to go back there slinging it, getting four guys out, empty five wide when you have a defensive front that can actually ruin a game, which we’ve seen. I thought we were executing the plan exactly like we expected to. We wished...we should have played better in the second half, but we didn’t, so it’s over. Steven will learn from it. He’s always been great with the football in practice and all the touches he had all season last year. He’s been great with the ball. He had a tough two carries yesterday. It’s humbling for him, it’s humbling for our team and if we have the character I think we have, we’ll bounce back.”

(On Carolina’s success running the ball, particularly bouncing plays outside)

“We played a couple of those plays perfectly. We made some errors where we got caught inside with our support players. The particular back that made those runs is a bounce player. It was an error that became critical because if you let a player like that get outside of you, it’s going to hurt you. It’s something we have to improve on. We’ve worked very hard at the interior of our line and being much stouter in the middle, which I think is much better. Now we have to be much better in our perimeter defense and against the perimeter plays – the loose plays we call them where you get misdirection and those kinds of things. Obviously that’s an area we have to improve in.”

(On if the cornerbacks can help contain outside runs)

“They can, especially if they’re in a two-deep zone where their primary job is to jam the receiver and play the run. The support players – the safeties, the outside linebackers – are the ones that have to keep that thing inside when we’re playing the hard boxes, which are designed to stop the run.”

(On DT Adam Carriker first regular season game)

“I thought it was a very good start. It wasn’t perfect, but he player very stout in there with great effort. He did a pretty good job most of the night when he was playing on the center of playing in their backfield, so it was a very good start for him.”

(On TE Randy McMichael)

“His role will be extremely important to our team. He should expect to improve each week and hopefully be nominated each week for player of the game and know that he’s going to match up better with defensive ends like we had yesterday. It will be better and better each week. He had his first catch in a game yesterday at the end of the game – I know it was garbage time and all that stuff. It does take a while to build that rapport with your quarterback when he has guys he’s been playing a lot of games with. Those plays will continue to be developed for him. He’s involved with the offense just like everybody else. It’s one of those things which will be improved on and soon.”

(On if the team named a defensive player of the game)

“Yeah, O.J. (Atogwe) had a really good game for us (and was named defensive player of the game). He had the one play early, but he had a really good game for us, too.”

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Linehan's conference

Working very hard on the tackling, but not there yet.
    Sounds like we may just not be ready on defense yet...

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Linehan
    “I don’t know if it changed. Randy played very well; he was our Offense Player of the Week. He blocked very, very well. He is going to be a big asset to us in the run game and the pass game. When we start planning a rhythm offensively, he will be a part of it, just like all the pass-eligible players are.
    Start planning a rhythm offensively??? Is this a typo? If not, maybe someone can explain this to me.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Start planning a rhythm offensively??? Is this a typo? If not, maybe someone can explain this to me.
    Yeah that is disturbing, indeed.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

This whole press conference is disturbing. It sounds like he thinks we did just fine. And naming McMichael offensive player of the week? That is just silly.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

Yeah, a player who "blocked very well" when Bulger was hit so much and Jax only got 50-odd yards seems... odd, I guess? I wouldn't give an award to anyone.

Linehan definitely shaded away from the question on being more aggressive, as he just pointed to the one drive that went well, but that wasn't aggressive! It just happened to end in a TD. How about "Yes, we may throw farther than dump passes next week"? We have Torry Freeking Holt! We have Issac Bruce! They have to watch Jackson if he runs, go play action and send em deep!

Rambos is offline Registered User

After reading this, we must have really had a max protect game plan for this game. We never where going to see a pass over 20 yards. The TE was going to block in a max protect sets all day. The Panther won this game last year, they must have cost Linehan some sleepless nights.

Start planning a rhythm offensively
    I think he is saying, this weeks game plan was max protect and short sit down routes. Nothing down field that would take time to develop.

, he will be a part of it, just like all the pass-eligible players are.
    Randy was not going to be used this week in the passing game, he was to block all day and help protect Marc and that is what he did. When we play a team that our staff thinks we can handle up front, we will use him in the passing game.

This might have worked better if we had Bennett, maybe. This make me feel better, its not Marc as much is it is the sad game plan.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-11-2007 at 11:08 AM.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

I don't like how he talks about the offense, like the playcalling was fine we just didn't execute. Oh and by the way, when did we start running the West Coast Offense?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I have to admit that Linehan is right. If not for the 2 fumbles by Steven Jackson we probably squeak this game out. He said we were on the right track for 2 quarters and part of the 3rd, that is accurate. I'm sure Linehan like the rest of us never anticipated SJ fumbling twice.

Let's hope SJ can get over this bad game and RAMBLE all over the Whiners Sunday.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

From "Shoot, we'll fix that" to "What, me worry?"

Rambos is offline Registered User

I have to admit that Linehan is right. If not for the 2 fumbles by Steven Jackson we probably squeak this game out.
    Ok but with all the player on our O, are we really going to have game plans that call for us to squeak out games.

Heck if we are going to play like that we should trade Holt and Bennett for a all world MLB.

marccat is offline Registered User

Damn!! I think coach is real miffed with Pace gone, and plain ole choked on it and pulled back when he should've stepped it up and get somebody to step up for him! The good teams tend to do just that and I do know the Rams is good he just forgot. ? IMO Jax dropped the rock from lack of hits in pre games. WE WILL be all right and get this thing turned on this week and start playing OUR game!! Look out wine'ers its our house your loss##

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I really don't think Linehan gets the idea of aggressiveness. His attitude seems to be if things go the way we planned, we'll win. If they don't, we'll lose. There's really nothing more you can do than that.

Come on, Coach! How about trying something different to change the momentum?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Ok but with all the player on our O, are we really going to have game plans that call for us to squeak out games.

Heck if we are going to play like that we should trade Holt and Bennett for a all world MLB.
    As long as the final score has us ahead by at least 1 point I'm happy.