RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Linehan's fate will be decided in the next two weeks ...

After rethinking this topic, I think Linehan has exactly two weeks to secure his future as the Ram's head coach, or to potentially lose any chance of ever coaching an NFL team again. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what the final record of this team is this season. With the horrendous start, and all the injuries, I think we have to separate into two seasons to see what this team might be capable of when the majority of the participants are healthy. We had a great showing against New Orleans last week. After reviewing the tape, I know alot of people were unhappy with how poorly our prevent defense played in the fourth. I noticed alot of confusion abound on a lot of the plays, and it looked like a team that hadn't been in a position to play much prevent during the season. Obviously, that is to be expected when you are 0-8. With that said, it makes some logical sense why Haslett would have stuck with the strategy so long with was seemingly an insurrmountal lead. Although the prevent defense sometimes prevents you from winning, there are late game situations where it could be useful as part of a package against a more explosive downfield passing attack, and I think Haslett was getting in some "practice" time ...

With that said, we thoroughly dominated the Saints. What's next? NFC west battles against the ***** on the road and the Seahawks at EJD. As the oddsmakers in Vegas have portrayed, the Rams may very well be the greatest 1-8 team in the history of the NFL, as we are still favored to take this game by 3. We all know this team has talent. Even with some of Linehan's ineptitude aside, we would lately have at least 3 wins under our belts if not for all the injuires. The 49'ers are absolutely terrible. They currently have to be fielding one of the worst offenses in NFL history and that is inexcusable for a team that has a great downfield runner like Frank Gore. This should be a blowout for the Rams. We absolutely destoryed the Niner's secondary in the first game by throwing Martz-esque passes all over the field, as Bulger accrued 360+ yards passing. This game should be no different. I see our boys easily putting this game away early and winning by at least 10 points. As bad as the Niner's are, I think Linehan has to win this game convincingly to continue to show improvement to the choads in the front office. If we barely squeek by in this game, I don't think it'll help Linehan's case much, if any. A loss here buries Linehan into a deeper hole than he was in before the Saints game. Absolutely no excuse for losing to this sorry ***** squad ...

The Seahawks game is the absolute kicker. We took a 33-6 mauling in the first game that lies almost solely on the shoulders of our terrible offense, as our defense shut down the Hawks running game, damaged Hasselbeck, and finished the game with a pretty solid performance. Special teams let us down again in this game, as Ram killer Burleson, ran another return back. With this game being at the EJD, I see our offense being able to get off early if we can get any blocking up front at all. We should get an excellent boost, as a hungry Stuessie should be back with the team and ready to cause some damage up front. All indications point to the fact that he is ready to bust some heads. This Seahawks team is not that good. We should be able to play them very competetively. If we get a similar defensive performance as we got in the first game, and our offense clicks like it did against New Orleans, no way we should lose this game at home. I think this is ultimately the game that determines whether or not Linehan will return, assuming we beat the *****. This game may not mean anything to us, as the chances of us making the playoffs is little more than dead. However, it will be a crucial game for the Seahawks, and they will come to play. If we see additional improvement for the third straight week and come away with a victory here, I think Linehan's job is as good as secure. If we play solid, and lose, its up in the air. We get blown out here, and any improvement that was shown against the Saints and potentially against the ***** is null and void, as it shows that Linehan cannot effectively gameplan for primetime games that matter ...

I am on cloud 9 after last week. I really don't know how good this team is at this point. If the offense moves the ball effectively, I see the ***** and Seahawks as very winnable games. If we can get these two, we follow up with the Falcons. We could be riding a 4 game winning streak into a tough stretch of games ...

Keep believing!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Linehan's fate will be decided in the next two weeks ...

Great post.

If we beat both the Whiners and Seahawks anything is possible. Meaning playoffs???

We could get back into contention?

ramsfan2.0 is offline Registered User

But I will say this, because the defense did so poorly, that doesn't come down on Scott!! The problem is the Defensive Coordinator! He's making the mistakes with picking the plays!! Scott runs the Offense, not Defense!! his job will not be decided by the end of the season! If we win out, good for us, but if we lose because of our D then, the person to blame is the no named DC!! So lets quit blaming Scott for doing good with this team!! and start blaming the real person that runs that part of the team!!

1st & Goal is offline Registered User

My position has been a head coach needs 3 to 4 years before he can really be evaluated. For this point in time, I am changing that position. This team has to many quality palyers to be this bad over the last season and a half. I don't care that we finished strong last year. It did not carry over into this year. Yes the injuries have almost take the heart out of this team. Still, this team has under achieved. I lay that at the HC feet. I have not seen anything that has proved to me that his leadership will improve this team. Winning the next two weeks does not change that. Beating a 2 & 7 team or a 5 & 4 team is not enough for me. It is time for a new sheriff in town.
    "I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

This is a good subject. We play all 3 of our division opponents in the upcoming weeks. IMHO Linehan needs to beat all three to ensure a third year at the helm. Beating teams like NO is not going to cut it if we lose to our own division foes. If the Rams can win out over NFC West teams we will finish at 3-3 overall. That's not really bad considering how poorly we've played this year.

WHAT SAY YE?

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

I think really the deal breaker is this sunday vs the ninhers. If he can go into SF and lay the wood on them with like a 31-10 win, he will definitely begin to cement himself in for next season

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsfan2.0 View Post
    But I will say this, because the defense did so poorly, that doesn't come down on Scott!! The problem is the Defensive Coordinator! He's making the mistakes with picking the plays!! Scott runs the Offense, not Defense!! his job will not be decided by the end of the season! If we win out, good for us, but if we lose because of our D then, the person to blame is the no named DC!! So lets quit blaming Scott for doing good with this team!! and start blaming the real person that runs that part of the team!!
    We're 29th in the league (and have spent most of the season at 32nd) in scoring and you want to blame the Defensive Coordinator for our struggles? The main problem with the defense is that we give up a lot of points towards the end of games, but over the course of the season the offense has looked much worse than the defense.