RamWraith is offline Registered User

Linehan's frustration continues

By Jeff Gordon
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/17/2007

Yes, Rams coach Scott Linehan is frustrated.

He liked the way his offense moved the ball Sunday against Green Bay, but he didn’t much like his team’s poor field position all game LONG . . . or the two bad-luck deflection interceptions . . . or some of the officiating calls (which he won’t comment on) . . . or the usual missed plays here and there.

You get the idea.

“You can stand here all day and describe frustration,” Linehan said. “I don’t think it’s going to do a whole lot of good. The disappointing thing was there were a lot of positive things that happened in the game and it didn’t show up in the win column.

“Frustration is certainly very high when you aren’t able to win.”

Here are some other highlights of the news conference:

LINEHAN

On his offense: “There were good things. It wasn’t a bad day offensively. Other than the second half – the inability to score was the toughest thing. We had two turnovers, which were tough luck plays, and other than that I think we were very aggressive about our approach and I think guys were ready to play and we were able to run the ball against a team that’s been very good against the run as of late.

“We got some big plays in the passing game, we just weren’t able to get anything going in the second half. Really that started at the end of the first half coming away with no points in our two-minute drill. We started back after we moved down the field and had the early interception. We battled field position all day long as a team. When your average starting point in the game offensively is the 17-yard line and the opposing team’s offense is the 48 . . . I always go to that stat at the end of the game and that’s a pretty significant differential there.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been in a game where the offense had the ball for 14 minutes of one quarter and the opposing offense had it for one minute and got outscored 10-0, but it happened yesterday.”

On the terrible kick coverage: “We can tackle better. I think it was missed tackles. We’re getting guys in position. The first one was a good return by them, but again, we had an opportunity to make a play and minimize the damage. The next two returns we missed tackles right at the point of attack. It’s no different than defensively.

“If you’re having a tough day stopping the run as a defense, you go right to tackling. That’s been our issue a couple times this year. We’ve actually been a better coverage team up until yesterday for the last few games, but yesterday we did not get it done. I don’t think in any of our coverage, except for one punt, did we do a very good job.”

On Jeff Wilkins’ struggles: “He’s a human being. Great players have off games, off seasons, whatever you want to call them. For him, this is an off season. He’s normally right up there, but he’s the first guy to take accountability for that. We haven’t identified the problem as anything unusual, I think it’s just been one of those years. He’s no different from the rest of us. He has to go back and look at what he’s doing and what we’re doing and work to improve. The goal is to finish real strong here these last two games at all positions.”

On benching Claude Wroten: “It was just a game-time decision. He hasn’t played a whole lot in the last couple weeks. Just based on who had the possibility of needing more backup time. We knew with James’ (Hall) ankle being a little bit sore still, having Trevor (Johnson) up gave us a little bit of insurance there at the end spot. Based it on how the week of practice went as well. Guys I think know that they are being evaluated, especially if they are in a back up role. What kind of week of practice you had tells if you are going to be up.”

On testing Derek Stanley as the kick returner, at the expense of Marques Hagans: “We tried to give a new guy a shot. Marques hasn’t had a whole lot of opportunities either so we had a couple of young players we wanted to get on the field. We didn’t have room for both of them. Based on how things went a week ago, we were going to try something new since both of our returners were out.”

DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR JIM HASLETT

On the blown coverage on Greg Jennings’ 44-yard TD pass: “It was a miscommunication, something that should never happen. Ronnie (Bartell) called it. I wished O.J. (Atogwe) would have called it off. (Bartell) was supposed to lock onto his guy. He tried to pass it off . . . just poor communication. It’s a shame, because it gave up a play that never should have happened. We had a free hitter to Brett (Favre) and we would have gotten a sack. Other than that, O.J. and Ron played pretty well.”

On Atogwe’s overall play: “He’s improved every day since I’ve been here, to be honest with you. He struggled the first half of the year last year. He started improving and improving. He has excellent ball skills. He’s kind of a magnet. He’s always trying to strip the ball out. He’s fast. He takes his job seriously. He is a great tackler in the open space. You see the range he has also. I still think he has a ways to go, but he’s getting better every day out there.”

On the play of cornerback Jonathan Wade: “I think Jon’s improving. He missed a tackle yesterday, which is disappointing. He missed a jam at the line of scrimmage. But he is really understanding the defense. He’s a guy that can run. When he does his techniques right, he’s pretty good. He doesn’t do it all the time.”

On the defense overall: “We had the one run get out because James (Hall) twisted his ankle again. But overall we tackled well. We did a lot of good things. It’s disappointing, we had a couple of plays . . . the bubble screen, we didn’t tackle. The one run and the deep ball. The deep ball just kind of muddied the whole thing. Besides that, they really didn’t do much to us.”

On the short work week: “For the players, it’s more an inconvenience than for the coaches. They have to get their bodies healthy and ready to go by Thursday. The coaches will be ready. We have to take care of the players and get them mentally ready.”

On his unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for protesting an officiating call: “I didn’t say anything. I just threw my game plan and almost ripped my shoulder out. That won’t happen again. You tell players to be accountable for their actions. You get a 15-yard penalty, you can’t have that happen.”

OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR GREG OLSON

On the play of his offense: “We felt good about the game plan and we felt good about the way was going. On our last out in the second quarter, we had the tipped ball for the interception. We felt like we took points off the board in that series. We came out in the third quarter and the first drive resulted in the interception off Torry’s hands. So go back to back there, two series. That hurt. We came out in the second series of the third quarter, we had a big 15-yard penalty which is difficult to overcome.

“But we still felt like we were in the game. Our third drive was a 14-play drive. We got a no-call on the third-down play and then we missed a field goal. At that point, it became a 16-point game and we’re in the fourth quarter.

“We have to execute better. We have to hold onto the football. We have to take better care of the football and not turn it over. Penalties kill you and (poor) field position hurts you.”

On the short work week: “It forces you, somewhat, to simplify your game plan. With the short turnaround, it’s tough to put in a lot of new plays. We’ll go back and look at what we do well, and try to incorporate some of what we do well into different formations so they will feel comfortable with what we call.”

On Alex Barron’s false-start penalties: “It’s just him getting locked in on Marc’s voice in those situations. It wasn’t a situation where were using a lot of hard counts yesterday. Really, it’s just lack of concentration right now. He had done a much better job this season than he has the previous two seasons. He had the two yesterday and they were critical.”

On leaning heavily on Steven Jackson: “We can’t become a one-dimensional (passing) team. Steven has to be a big part of what we do, and the run game. He was running the ball hard yesterday and the guys up front were doing a nice job controlling the line of scrimmage, especially in the first half. Once the game got out of balance there in the fourth quarter, it took that part of our game away.”

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Linehan's frustration continues

On his unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for protesting an officiating call: “I didn’t say anything. I just threw my game plan and almost ripped my shoulder out. That won’t happen again. You tell players to be accountable for their actions. You get a 15-yard penalty, you can’t have that happen.”
    Well there is the description of the penalty on the bench which was really on the coach. That is amazing. Players can celebrate and show emotions as long as it is not in another players face. Apparently throwing anything even if it is the game plan on the sidelines will get you penalized. That seems excessive to me, but a lot of these unsportsmanlike conduct rules do.

The refs can do whatever they want and they are not held accountable and the coach throws down his game plan in disgust and he gets penalized. Wow.....:x
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Jeff Gordon
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/17/2007

Yes, Rams coach Scott Linehan is frustrated.

He liked the way his offense moved the ball Sunday against Green Bay, but he didn’t much like his team’s poor field position all game LONG . . . or the two bad-luck deflection interceptions . . . or some of the officiating calls (which he won’t comment on) . . . or the usual missed plays here and there.

You get the idea.

LINEHAN

On his offense:

“I don’t think I’ve ever been in a game where the offense had the ball for 14 minutes of one quarter and the opposing offense had it for one minute and got outscored 10-0, but it happened yesterday.”

DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR JIM HASLETT

On the blown coverage on Greg Jennings’ 44-yard TD pass: “It was a miscommunication, something that should never happen. Ronnie (Bartell) called it. I wished O.J. (Atogwe) would have called it off. (Bartell) was supposed to lock onto his guy. He tried to pass it off . . . just poor communication. It’s a shame, because it gave up a play that never should have happened. We had a free hitter to Brett (Favre) and we would have gotten a sack. Other than that, O.J. and Ron played pretty well.”

OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR GREG OLSON

On the play of his offense: “We felt good about the game plan and we felt good about the way was going. On our last out in the second quarter, we had the tipped ball for the interception. We felt like we took points off the board in that series. We came out in the third quarter and the first drive resulted in the interception off Torry’s hands. So go back to back there, two series. That hurt. We came out in the second series of the third quarter, we had a big 15-yard penalty which is difficult to overcome.

“But we still felt like we were in the game. Our third drive was a 14-play drive. We got a no-call on the third-down play and then we missed a field goal. At that point, it became a 16-point game and we’re in the fourth quarter.
    These are the frustrations of a team that's having a down on their luck season. On the otherhand when a team is on a roll like the Packers the luck always seems to swing to that teams side.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Linehan
    On benching Claude Wroten: “It was just a game-time decision. He hasn’t played a whole lot in the last couple weeks. Just based on who had the possibility of needing more backup time. We knew with James’ (Hall) ankle being a little bit sore still, having Trevor (Johnson) up gave us a little bit of insurance there at the end spot. Based it on how the week of practice went as well. Guys I think know that they are being evaluated, especially if they are in a back up role. What kind of week of practice you had tells if you are going to be up.”
    Not excited to hear this one. He can say it was to clear up another End for Hall, but I gotta believe if Wroten had established himself in practice he would have been out there. Frustrating, really frustrating.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Not excited to hear this one. He can say it was to clear up another End for Hall, but I gotta believe if Wroten had established himself in practice he would have been out there. Frustrating, really frustrating.
    Not to add to your woes, HUbison, but I read on both Jeff Gordon's and Jim Thomas' blogs that Wroten is not doing well at all. It was Gordo, I believe, that said he was slow off the snap and easily knocked off balance. And Thomas said that Wroten is close to being a "certifiable bust" at this point. Now he doesn't even make the game day roster. Why is it so blasted hard for the Rams to find an inside pass rusher? All we're asking from this fat clown is to put pressure up the middle. Heck, I don't even care if he plays the run well at all.
    P.S. I'm excited about drafting Chris Long; but if Glenn Dorsey is on the board (stop me if you've heard this) we have to look seriously at taking yet another DT with a high first round pick. Oh well, welcome to Frustration City.

WHAT SAY YE?