dgr828 is offline Registered User

Linny goes conservative with Berlin

Not a bad game for a third string, emergency QB. There was not alot to be expected from Brock Berlin. One shouldn't be surprised by the first game jitters. I'm sure Linehan's game plan for Brock was to take care of the ball use alot of short stuff and alot of Steven Jackson. Only one pick for Brock and that was late, in the 4th quarter, during a time of desperation. That Interception by Berlin was only one of the few times he went deep, in the game.
    Airing it out earlier in the game would've probably helped the RAMS chances of winning this ball game. My only concern about Berlin is the blocked or tipped balls at the line of scrimmage. Maybe Linehan played it a bit too conservative. Rams have nothing too lose. Why not let Brock let it loose? I guess its just Linny's nature, playing not to lose instead of taking shots to better the chances of winning.

Decent stats for Brock Berlin's first game: 17 for 28, 153 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Linny goes conservative with Berlin

Yea, I thought he did a good job not forcing the ball too. He had a lot of dump offs and check downs...Our offense totaled 3 points, so hindsight being 20/20 maybe we should have taken a few more shots, but who's to say that would have worked. Very solid day for a first career start, especially considering the didn't practice with the starters all week.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Didn't see the game today and I realize that one game is not enough to gauge a new QB with, but does anyone here think BB may continue to be a back up for us?

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Didn't see the game today and I realize that one game is not enough to gauge a new QB with, but does anyone here think BB may continue to be a back up for us?
    For the most part, Brock Berlin took care of the ball until the end, when he threw a desperation pass for an interception with about 2 minutes left. Some of the play calling was questionable to say the least, by Linehan. Throwing underneth on 3rd and long is frustrating to watch. Too early tell if "BB" is the backup for us. He's come out of nowhere, but then again, so did Kurt Warner. I will only say he has the potential.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Maybe Linehan played it a bit too conservative. Rams have nothing too lose. Why not let Brock let it loose?
    Because you're playing your third string QB in his first start.

Because you don't want this guy to be injured behind this line like the #1 and #2 QBs were.

Because the current back-up is a street free agent who has spent little time with the team, and you have no desire to see him on the field.

Because your current starting QB didn't even have a full week of practice with the starting offense and thus is not going to be completely in sync with them.

Those are a few, we could probably go on with some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Because you're playing your third string QB in his first start.

Because you don't want this guy to be injured behind this line like the #1 and #2 QBs were.

Because the current back-up is a street free agent who has spent little time with the team, and you have no desire to see him on the field.

Because your current starting QB didn't even have a full week of practice with the starting offense and thus is not going to be completely in sync with them.

Those are a few, we could probably go on with some more.
    In other words, The Rams were in a no win situation today.
    One wonders if Kurt Warner had those pessimistic thoughts in mind when he had to step in for Trent Green.
    It's late in the season, there is nothing to lose, All I'm saying is why not take our shots!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In other words, The Rams were in a no win situation today.
    I'm not sure I agree with that, but it was going to be a very tough victory given the conditions.

One wonders if Kurt Warner had those pessimistic thoughts in mind when he had to step in for Trent Green.
    Who knows, but Warner's post-college experience prior to becoming a starter was vastly different than Berlin's.

It's late in the season, there is nothing to lose, All I'm saying is why not take our shots!
    Well, I outlined a number of reasons why you wouldn't want to. One of them being you could potentially lose our #3 QB just like we did our #1 and #2. There seem to be a couple of people interested in seeing what Brock Berlin could bring as a back-up. I'm not sure anyone feels the same way about Todd Bouman. In the end, I simply don't think Berlin has the experience to execute an aggressive gameplan at this point, not in his first start behind a poor line with little time working with the starting unit.

thoey is offline Registered User

I'm not sure I agree with that, but it was going to be a very tough victory given the conditions.
    Agree 100%.

Who knows, but Warner's post-college experience prior to becoming a starter was vastly different than Berlin's.
    Uhh... Really? Now, I really don't know Brock's NFL history except for playing in NFLE, but isn't that kinda the same as being an Iowa Barnstormer? I mean, I know, Kurt got to carry Brett's helmet, but that doesn't mean much...

Well, I outlined a number of reasons why you wouldn't want to. One of them being you could potentially lose our #3 QB just like we did our #1 and #2. There seem to be a couple of people interested in seeing what Brock Berlin could bring as a back-up. I'm not sure anyone feels the same way about Todd Bouman. In the end, I simply don't think Berlin has the experience to execute an aggressive gameplan at this point, not in his first start behind a poor line with little time working with the starting unit.
    I really didn't expect anything but a loss today. Once I heard we were down to a rookie QB (and when you measure him with true NFL experience, that is what he is), we have pretty much been forced to give up on everything this year. We really can't even judge rookie talent as we don't have enough pro-experience talent to put around them to see how they might do.

Let's face it folks. This year is a wash. Best thing we can do is get healthy. Rebuild. And see how next year looks.

Now, that doesn't mean we give up. We have three more games to go. We're RAMS. Do the best we can...
    This space for rent...

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    Uhh... Really? Now, I really don't know Brock's NFL history except for playing in NFLE, but isn't that kinda the same as being an Iowa Barnstormer? I mean, I know, Kurt got to carry Brett's helmet, but that doesn't mean much...
    I was speaking more towards his years of Arena Football experience as well as his time in NFLE.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Linny goes conservative with Bulger in there- did people really believe he was going to open up his game planning for Brock Berlin???

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Linny goes conservative with Bulger in there- did people really believe he was going to open up his game planning for Brock Berlin???
    HAHAHHA, I came on to say the same thing... Losey goes conservative... does he know anything else... what a joke of a HC he is.