MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Linny our .. Haz in ..

Linehan out, Haslett in
    By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/29/2008

It's official: Scott Linehan is out as the Rams head coach. He was fired earlier this morning.

Hired before the 2006 season, he departs after 36 games and an 11-25 record.

Linehan will be replaced on an interim basis by defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, formerly a head coach with the New Orleans Saints.

A noon news conference has been called at Rams Park. Linehan requested, and was granted, an opportunity to address the team some time before the noon news conference.

The decision to fire Linehan was made at 2 a.m. today after a lengthy meeting involving owners Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez, team president John Shaw, general manager Jay Zygmunt and others.

The move to oust Linehan appears to reflect the sentiment of most fans. For example, in an online poll conducted Sunday night after a 31-14 loss to Buffalo, more than 4,400 STLtoday.com readers responded. Ninety-two percent of them said Linehan should be fired.

The deliberations were difficult. The intense discussions began an hour after Sunday's loss and continued into the night.

Various scenarios were discussed, including keeping Linehan in place the rest of the season and bringing in Dick Vermeil as a consultant.

The Vermeil idea was scratched, and the decision to fire Linehan was made.

That wasn't a simple call to make. An argument was made to keep Linehan in place, in part because Rosenbloom and Rodriguez wondered if their late mother, former Rams owner Georgia Frontiere, would have approved of firing Linehan. Before her death, Frontiere asked that Linehan be given a third season as head coach.

But in the end, the team's stunning lack of competitiveness -- eight straight losses, and 17 losses in the last 20 games by an average of 18 points -- dictated a coaching change heading into the Rams' bye week.

Rosenbloom, the managing partner, ultimately made the decision that Linehan must go. Rosenbloom likes Linehan personally but has been extremely disappointed by the four consecutive blowout losses to open the 2008 season.

After finally concluding that it was best to terminate Linehan, the owners and executives then had to decide on the interim coach, and a lengthy discussion and debate led to the selection of Haslett as interim coach.

The poor performance of Haslett's defense was considered a drawback, and he doesn't have a good relationship with Zygmunt.

That's why, in part, the decision to promote him was made with some reluctance and hesitation.

But in the end, Rams officials believed that Haslett's previous head-coaching experience, plus his ability to motivate players, made him the logical choice.

Though the Rams defense has struggled, the players do like Haslett and they work hard for him.

Rams VP Billy Devaney, a neutral observer, reportedly recommended Haslett for that reason.

Offensive coordinator Al Saunders was also considered.

Zygmunt will stay for the remainder of the season as GM. After the season, changes will be made to the team's management structure.

Linehan asked the owners for the opportunity to address the team today, but as of now, it's uncertain whether they will grant the request.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Linny our .. Haz in ..

Yes, Ram Nation , there is a Santa Claus.

Go Rams. Now & Forever.

rams2061 Guest

Haslett is not any better than Linehan. That was a stupid decision.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams2061 View Post
    <Enter Sarcasm> Wow, what a great, insightful post this is. I do not think I've ever seen such a well written, and thoughful post. <Exit Sarcasm>

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

It is clear from the article that not everybody agreed with the Haslett decision. He will only be the HC until the end of the year, and then he will probably be fired along with Zygmunt.

This was a step in the right direction!

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I wish they would have fired both Linehan and Haslett and made Saunders interim HC, but I guess this is kind of a step in the right direction.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Maybe .. maybe not. Why not wait and see. At least Haslett has some fire in his gut. Let's hope he can spread some around to the players. One thing we don't know is how all the players regard Haslett. I don't think there were any "eye rolls" aimed at Jim .. Since you regard Jim's promotion as stupid, who do you think the Rams should have hired given that it is now common knowledge the FO will be revamped at the end of the season?

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Yeah, turning away Cowher, Schottenheimer,Jimmy Johnson,and Vince Lombardi's's ghost, and failing to to promote the redheaded cheerleader was a stupid decision.

In all non-sarcastic seriousness, what were the alternatives; a completely inexperienced positional coach in Ellard?

Venturi ? One of the losingest coaches in college (something like 1-39 @ Northwestern?

You could make a viable argument for Saunders but I'd rather have him concentrate on getting his offense instilled/installed & keep him for OC next year.

Haz's D has not impressed this year but we really don't know how many personnel decisions were out of his hands, never mind injuries affecting the unit's performance; Little, Spoon's nagging groin injury, Brown's shoulder/attitude.

Bottom line, Haz has the history of making a turnaround & got Devaney's vote- pretty much the only guy who has shown sound judgement off the field this year.

I'm really excited for The Skins game now. Not a feeling I've had for a looong time.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Smile Re: Linny our .. Haz in ..

Your right, but what other choice did we have, as far as players with "head coaching" experience??

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

One thing at a time.

Sure it would have been nice to see a few more firings, particularly Zygmunt, but realistically since we are in the middle of the season you can't just wipe out everyone right now.

Let's see what happens for the rest of the year and hopefully we wipe out the rest of the mess and start fresh at the end of the season.

It's a start at least.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Mooselini is offline Registered User

What is good about the bye week, is that Haslett gets the free week to work with the team and get them under his rule. I think he is capable of screaming and yelling. Motivating these guys.

This also lets Bulger get a better grasp of the Saunders system.

We may be in no spot to be the hot Redskins, but atleast expect a fight in two weeks.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    What is good about the bye week, is that Haslett gets the free week to work with the team and get them under his rule. I think he is capable of screaming and yelling. Motivating these guys.

This also lets Bulger get a better grasp of the Saunders system.

We may be in no spot to be the hot Redskins, but atleast expect a fight in two weeks.
    My best guess is that this team, playing for a new coach, who they respect, coming off a great effort against Buffalo, will give the Redskins everything they can handle in two weeks ....

zingers16 is offline Registered User

So with linehan gone who is the starting QB

zingers16 is offline Registered User

sorry, didnt see the topic a few lines down

pikers is offline Registered User

I think the team situation will improve, simply because he's gone.

Sure, Haslett's a solid B-Grade coach, but it's hard to hire from the outside halfway in.

Next year we'll probably have a new "real" coach. I personally am interested to see this new coaching staff attack a hot Skins team in two weeks.