ramhard is offline Registered User

Lions doing like NE sign Saipaia off PS

I just saw in the transactions that the Detroit Lions signed Blaine Saipaia off the PS. Makes me think they are doing like NE and signing guys the week before an opponent to get inside info - in this case on the new Rams offensive philosophy - or just a coincidence.......

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Lions doing like NE sign Saipaia off PS

I am not up to speed on NE and their personnel tactics, however I think that when a team signs a player off another team's practice squad, that newly signed player must be placed on the acquiring club's active roster. The Lions aren't going to get much from Saipaia that Martz doesn't already know, but they will get an O-lineman who is very familiar with Martz's offensive verbiage and blocking schemes. I am not sure how long a newly signed player (off a practice squad) must occupy an "active" roster spot, (three weeks ?) but the requirement that the newly acquired player must be placed on the active roster seems designed to prevent teams from frivolous acquisitions...

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I am not up to speed on NE and their personnel tactics, however I think that when a team signs a player off another team's practice squad, that newly signed player must be placed on the acquiring club's active roster. The Lions aren't going to get much from Saipaia that Martz doesn't already know, but they will get an O-lineman who is very familiar with Martz's offensive verbiage and blocking schemes. I am not sure how long a newly signed player (off a practice squad) must occupy an "active" roster spot, (three weeks ?) but the requirement that the newly acquired player must be placed on the active roster seems designed to prevent teams from frivolous acquisitions...
    I have to agree with MauiRam; Sap was one of Martz's players and know his offense. I seriously doubt he has anything to add about Linehan's offense that isn't already known.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

ramhard is offline Registered User

No

No, New England signed a WR from their upcoming opponents practice squad (Buffalo) at the beginning of the week, had him inactive for the game, and cut him the next Monday. They made no mystery that they quizzed him, and it was a bit of a stink as complaints were made.. but it was valid under league rules.

Well it is needing to know Linehan's offense and philosophy that Detroit might need.. I don't think the only reason, but I do think it had some influence.

bubbaramfan is offline Registered User

Blaine Siapia was released outright by the Rams on Sept. 2nd. He was never on the practice squad. The Lions signed him with no restrictions.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Re: No

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard View Post
    No, New England signed a WR from their upcoming opponents practice squad (Buffalo) at the beginning of the week, had him inactive for the game, and cut him the next Monday. They made no mystery that they quizzed him, and it was a bit of a stink as complaints were made.. but it was valid under league rules.
    Typical New England Patriots move. It may be technically legal, but it sure is shady in my book. God I hate the Pats!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    Typical New England Patriots move. It may be technically legal, but it sure is shady in my book. God I hate the Pats!
    You took the words right out of my mouth:x

coy bacon is offline Registered User

If the Pats, and maybe the Lions are signing guys, (and it is withing the rules), just to get intel, I give them props. We should do it as well. If it helps a team win then at the end of the day, they wear the ring, or just beat you, while you go home a loser.

wttrash2 is offline Registered User

Didn't Denver do that to the Rams in 2000? I forget who the player was but he was seen standing on the sidelines talking to Shanahan during the entire game telling what was going on.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

I doubt it's for intel, I do believe NE did sign that WR for the intel because they quizzed him and then made him inactive and cut him, but look at how many Ex-Rams the Lions have already signed, this is no surprise.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    You took the words right out of my mouth:x
    Me 2!, i hate the pats, and i live in mass =(