r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Lions Favored By 3 Over Rams

NFL Picks Week 5: Detroit Lions Favored Over St. Louis Rams by Three
    By Jimmy Boyd (Analyst) on October 8, 2010

The Detroit Lions will try to earn their first victory of the season when they host the 2-2 St. Louis Rams in Sundayís Week 5 contest. NFL odds makers have given Detroit the edge, too, listing the Lions as a three-point favorite with the total set at 42.5.

The Lions and Rams, which combined for only three wins in 2009, have made strides in 2010, but St. Louisí strides can be seen in the win column. In fact, the Rams have a chance to win three straight games for the first times in four years Sunday.

St. Louis finished with a 1-15 record last season, but it is worth noting that its lone win came at Detroit. Led by Stephen Jacksonís 149 rushing yards, the Rams posted a 17-10 victory over the Lions.

Jackson, who has totaled 312 yards from scrimmage in two career games against Detroit, could be the key to another St. Louis win. After all, Detroit ranks 25th in the league in rushing defense, allowing 134.5 yards per game on the ground.

Fortunately for St. Louis, teams cannot simply stack the line of scrimmage to stop Jackson and expect to win anymore. That all changed when the Rams made former Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford their No. 1 draft pick last spring.

After a pair of narrow defeats to Arizona and Oakland, Bradford has led the Rams to blowout wins over Washington and Seattle, while throwing for an average of 262 yards in those games.

Defensively, St. Louis continues to give up a lot of yards, but it has transformed into a big play unit. The Rams have already come up with 10 takeaways, tied for fifth most in the NFL.

Taking a look at things from a betting perspective, Rams backers will like to know that their team is a perfect 4-0 against the spread in its last four road games as an underdog of three or fewer points.

While the Lions are off to an 0-4 start, they feel like they could easily be 3-1. The Lions, who are now just 2-34 in their last 36 games, have losses of five, three, and two points this season.

The Lions fell 28-26 at Green Bay last week to a team that many feel can win the Super Bowl. The Lions of two years ago may have packed it in when they were down 28-14 in the third quarter. This Lions team has shown that it wonít say die.

Despite playing without starting quarterback Matthew Stafford, who was injured on a hit by Chicagoís Julius Peppers in the season opener, the Detroit offense has impressed. With backup quarterback Shaun Hill under center, Detroit has averaged 401.3 yards of offense the last three weeks.

Hill has even built some nice chemistry with star wideout Calvin Johnson, who was on the receiving end of both of his touchdown passes last week.

The key to finally getting in the win column will be limiting mistakes. Detroit has committed eight turnovers and a league-worst 30 penalties over the last three weeks. Thatís just not going to get it done against an opportunistic St. Louis defense.

There is a strong system in favor of the Lions this week. It urges us to play against all teams where the line is +3 to -3 after allowing six points or less in their last game, if they are up against an opponent that is coming off a loss of three or fewer points. This system is an impressive 25-4 against the spread since 1983, including a perfect 6-0 against the number the last five seasons.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Lions Favored By 3 Over Rams

Since "home field advantage" is worth 3 points, the oddsmakers appear to see this as a relatively even contest. The Lions played Green Bay tough on the road last week, and could be on the verge of a breakout game. Hopefully it won't be against us ..

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

It seems that depending on the site, the favorite can change from one hour to the next. Last night, I saw where it was the Rams favored by 3.

Maybe this is a good thing. After all, we were underdogs the last two games...

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

I think it's great that we're the underdog, add a little fuel to the fire and remind the team that they MUST prove to themselves and everyone else week in and week out. On another note...who is this "Stephen" Jackson guy anyhow??
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

rxb97 is offline Registered User

Last edited by rxb97; -10-08-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: double entry

rxb97 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    NFL Picks Week 5: Detroit Lions Favored Over St. Louis Rams by Three
    By Jimmy Boyd (Analyst) on October 8, 2010

There is a strong system in favor of the Lions this week. It urges us to play against all teams where the line is +3 to -3 after allowing six points or less in their last game, if they are up against an opponent that is coming off a loss of three or fewer points. This system is an impressive 25-4 against the spread since 1983, including a perfect 6-0 against the number the last five seasons.

Ok does that part mean bet the lions or bet the rams because Im ok Bettin for the Rams just not ok bettin against

Varg6 is offline Registered User

1. Why can't they spell STEVEN Jackson's name right?

2. I know people still have little to no respect for us but how does it make any sense to give the edge to a team that's 0-4 compared to a team on a hot-streak right now, and coming off of a huge victory over a divisional rival (and not to mention, a team we haven't won against in years)?

I just don't get it.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    2. I know people still have little to no respect for us but how does it make any sense to give the edge to a team that's 0-4 compared to a team on a hot-streak right now, and coming off of a huge victory over a divisional rival (and not to mention, a team we haven't won against in years)?
    I just don't get it.
    I'm not saying it's right, but in all fairness the Lions have played 3 of their first 4 on the road and they have put up one heck of a fight. In all actuality, I hope every team is "given" the edge against us all year long, I think that being the underdog will provide that little extra and sometimes that little extra is all it takes.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolRamFan View Post
    I'm not saying it's right, but in all fairness the Lions have played 3 of their first 4 on the road and they have put up one heck of a fight. In all actuality, I hope every team is "given" the edge against us all year long, I think that being the underdog will provide that little extra and sometimes that little extra is all it takes.
    The Lions also got absolutely robbed of a win against Chicago because the NFL says it wasn't good enough to catch a pass for a TD with both feet, then a roll, then a knee, THEN letting the ball go at the end of it all. They should be at least 1-3 and they have been fighting all the way. This is going to be a tough game.

As far as being the underdog, I'm fine with that too. Like you said Steve, it provides motivation which is a good thing.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Screw the oddsmakers. Being at 2-2 and with having the last few seasons we have endured, I am not looking for respect from anyone at this time. Our Rams just need to continue playing hard and winning ball games.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The Detroit Lions, let me say that again. The Detroit Lions are favored over us by 3? With a back-up quarterback and 1 wide receiver that's any good? Really? HOGWASH!!!!!

If anything this should be a pick-em at worst.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Well, laram0, that's pretty much what vegas is saying by favoring the Lions by 3. A field goal is the typical "bonus" given for home field advantage, though in places like Jacksonville, Oakland, Detroit, and sadly, St. Louis, home field advantage is sometimes, if not often, suspect.

If Rams fans traveled better, I would dare say that we might have a good balance of fans at Ford field, but I'm expecting that the Lions faithful will come out in their best chance at a win so far.

But back to the Lions getting favored by 3. That's pretty much saying that it's a toss up game and it could go anyway. I'm scared by the Lions offense, but I think that Sam will keep our defense on the bench enough to keep them fresh and they'll prevent any big game changing plays, which have been how the Lions have stayed close this year. I feel confident that we'll beat the spread and go to 3-2.
    I believe!

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Any analyst who cant spell the best player's on the field name correctly needs to be questioned as to how much he actually knows.....

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Well, laram0, that's pretty much what vegas is saying by favoring the Lions by 3. A field goal is the typical "bonus" given for home field advantage, though in places like Jacksonville, Oakland, Detroit, and sadly, St. Louis, home field advantage is sometimes, if not often, suspect.

If Rams fans traveled better, I would dare say that we might have a good balance of fans at Ford field, but I'm expecting that the Lions faithful will come out in their best chance at a win so far.

But back to the Lions getting favored by 3. That's pretty much saying that it's a toss up game and it could go anyway. I'm scared by the Lions offense, but I think that Sam will keep our defense on the bench enough to keep them fresh and they'll prevent any big game changing plays, which have been how the Lions have stayed close this year. I feel confident that we'll beat the spread and go to 3-2.
    What I'm saying is that we should be a 3 point favorite. Taking the Lions homefield into consideration that actually makes us a 6 point favorite.

GO RAMS!!!!