throwback week

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: List the problems thread

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Not sure which games you have been watching bud. We having been marginal at best. We have played teams with no identities on the offensive side of the ball. The Whiners and the Bucs hardly out the fear into any defense. A marginal Panthers team tore us up. Wait until we play an offensive team like the Cowboys next week and then lets see how we play. Haslett and his scheme is a joke.
    I've got to agree with Dez here Jason, the D was just worn down, again. It's asking too much for our guys to make stop after stop with no help from the offense.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Agree!!

Along with Chillar, Pisa, Spoon in the middle and an ineffective Carriker (kid is not ready for this position yet).
    I don't see Carriker as being a problem, I'm not sure what you expect out of a rookie in his third game.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

1. injuries
    2. Greg Olsen
    3. Injuries
    4. Run out of stem on both sides of the ball in the second half
    5. injuries
    6. Dante hasbin
    7. injuries
    8. we keep eating popcorn before games making not hold our blocks and fumble the ball (at least thats what i hope is happening)
    9. heres a new one injuries
    10. Old man Chavous at SS (What happened to the crafty vet from last) year)

RamWraith is offline Registered User

again,

lets talk next week. Then I will believe and buy into the defense thing.

When you see things like some guy named Earnest Graham carve up a defense and the continual middle of the field wide open and the arm tackles against an below average offense, it is pretty hard to get excited. We shall see next week.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I could probably name more, but IMO these are the biggies...

1. Injuries/O-line: Show me a successful football team, and I'll show you an offensive line that's getting the job done. We were down three starting offensive linemen today and had to rely on names like Claude Terrell, Milford Brown, and Adam Goldberg as starters. Our center is a former practice squad player who started his sixth game today. Our blind-side tackle is playing only his second game at the position after spending a few years on the other side of the line. Injuries to Pace, Incognito, and now Setterstrom force you to make these kinds of moves, and in the end they kill us. We cannot consistently win battles in the running game, and we nearly broke our quarterback in two last week with all of the hits he took. When you're forced to start marginal players due to injury, your team will suffer. It's a simple truth.

2. Playcalling: It would seem our offensive coordinator (with an unknown amount of influence from the head coach) is attempting to protect our offensive weaknesses along the line by calling an uber-conservative game. We've probably run more quick hits to the wide receiver than we have any other type of completed pass route this season. Unfortunately, someone needs to inform our coaching staff that there are ways to get the ball out quickly that actually result in gaining yards down the field. The Rams began to lean on the run today, and Steven Jackson also began to step up. But the unimaginative playcalling that refuses to look anywhere downfield until it's too late is destroying this offense's chance to stay in football games. Our longest completed pass of the day today was 18 yards.

3. Halftime adjustments (lack of): When your football team consistently gets destroyed in the third quarter for three weeks in a row, I think it's safe to say that something isn't being done right in terms of halftime adjustments. What are we doing that's working, and what isn't working? How can we change our gameplan to reflect what the opposition is doing well and what we've been able to exploit? How has our line played, and what corrections can we make to stop any errors we see? Do we need to incorporate more play-action due to our success running the ball tdoay? Do we need to intentionally roll the pocket at times to try and help our line? Do we need to try some deep in or out routes at some point during the game, or should we keep calling quick hit passes that don't take advantage of our players' abilities? Is anyone on the coaching staff asking these questions?

4. Turnovers/Ball security: I don't know what got into the Rams' water recently, but for a team that supposedly has switched from a risk/reward philosophy to one of protecting the ball, we sure haven't done a good job of it this season. This is really one of the most important aspects of the game of football - being able to finish off drives with points instead of simply giving the ball back to your opponent. Once again the Rams made some costly turnovers today, this time primarily through the air by Marc Bulger who just did not look like he was on the same page with his receivers at times today. We continued to see fumbling problems from Steven Jackson, though in large part he stepped up and was a positive for the day.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

blood85 Guest
    I also think the defense got tired because of our horrible offense. I mean 3 shut out quarters and only 1 field goal to show for our "scoring", if you want to call it that.

Had It not been for Ot's recovery, we would have been shut out against the "mighty" Bucs Offense. We are in serious trouble.
    Last edited by Nick; -09-23-2007 at 05:13 PM.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Too many problems to list, I think.

Play calling is absolutely horrible. What is it with those quick outs? You cannot tell me Bulger can't see the tight coverage when he gets to the line, yet he STILL throws it for a big, whopping 2-foot gain. Stupid.

What ever happened to throwing the ball DOWNFIELD? ..oh, that's right, our only speed guy was lost to the Eagles, who had what today? ..about 205 yards IN THE FIRST HALF and a new NFL record!!! But we couldn't keep him because we have the great Bennett, Bruce and Holt. I don't want to say, "I told you so", but, I told you so. We simply don't have a WR that can run by anybody, and nobody that scares any CB. ...but when you never throw one downfield, I guess you don't need him.

Offensive line is beat up, but you can't blame them for all the woes of this offense. The healthy ones, namely Klop, Jackson, Leonard are blocking about as well as the ones that aren't playing.

What I don't blame is the defense, because for 3 quarters, they played quite well. The corners were great, and the D line played fairly well. But when your over-hyped offense is constantly kicking the ball away, or fumbling, or throwing int's, it wears you down.

I see nothing from this team that gives me hope for this season. No talent, no fight, no brains, and no heart. I was wrong, dead wrong. I thought this team was a 9-7, or possibly a 10-6 team. I also thought we'd be 2-1 right now, at worst. Now we get to go to Dallas for another azz-whoppin'. I can't wait. Luckily, I'll be on the golf course and I'll miss it. In fact, I've decided to not waste another Sunday on this team this year. I've got better things to do.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Spiderwolf is offline Registered User

What else?? How about a new Quarterback! Bulger is a horrible horrible quarterback. Ever since the Rams dumped Warner nd inserted Bulger, this team has gone downhill. Bulger CANNOT put points on the board. Thats where you start.

Spiderwolf is offline Registered User

You are absolutely right. This team is horrible and a complete mess. We will be 0-4 after next week. Im so disappointyed as I thought this might actually be a decent year, but yea, I see no hope at this point.

Tony Soprano Guest

If those two tight ends don't play at NFL starting level - get rid of them NOW!

From what I've seen (limited) Klop can't block. Byrd has his own problems.

The Rams nurtured Kennedy and how many other high draft pick Def lineman and it killed the team. If they can't play, they can't play.

That philosophy of having offensive weapons with such obvious liabilities concerns me.

No team can afford to Have RBs and Tight Ends that can't block.

Last edited by Nick; -09-23-2007 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Language

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

You know, I'm getting tired of "Bulger Sucks." That statement doesn't even make logical sense. The man has been one of the top rated Quarter Backs in the league almost since his first season starting.

Please, next time, use logic, or don't post. I get enough of people who can't use simple logic on a day to day basis without getting it here.

ScottD413 Guest

Along with Chillar, Pisa, Spoon in the middle and an ineffective Carriker (kid is not ready for this position yet).[/quote]

It's not Carriker's fault. The Rams drafted a good DE and told him to play DT. It was a horrible decision. This is the same staff that drafted Brian Leonard when we didn't need another RB, and then when Jax is off the field, they run Travis Minor.

The whole coaching staff is the problem. The playcalling is terrible, the D scheme is terrible, and Linehan doesn't prepare this team to play 60 minutes.

Also, maybe Jax should have played in the preseason. He has looked subpar. It took 30 carries to get him a 100 yard game. He needs to stop filming commercials and running his mouth about how many records he is going to break and start playing football! STOP DANICING AROUND!! YOU AREN'T BARRY SANDERS!! HIT THE HOLES!!

We are a laughing stock. There is no excuse for an offense with this many weapons to be so bad. It's the playcalling and Linehan's offensive scheme in general. It's garbage!

And lets not forget the front office. Every year there are available players on D that we could get either with a trade or with FA if we would just spend some cash. All we do year after year is try to build the team through the draft...but we never draft the positions we need, or we draft them and then play them as rookies and they arent ready!

ARRRRRRGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS SO DAMN FRUSTRATING!!!!!

ScottD413 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderwolf View Post
    What else?? How about a new Quarterback! Bulger is a horrible horrible quarterback. Ever since the Rams dumped Warner nd inserted Bulger, this team has gone downhill. Bulger CANNOT put points on the board. Thats where you start.
    That is rediculous! Bulger is one of the leagues best QBs. This post only shows that you have a very limited knowledge of football.

I know he threw 3 ints today, but we are all entitled to a bad day now and then. Also, if Olsen would call a decent play every now and again that would help.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Haven't seen this game yet, so I'm commenting at a disadvantage.

What I would say perhaps is that the rash of injuries and our current won-loss record may be affecting Olson and Linehan's confidence in terms of taking more shots down the field. If this is the same scheme Linehan ran in Minnesota and theres no reason to think it isn't then we have to assume that the plays are in the playbook and that he's willing to use them.

On that basis, not only do you have to ask questions of the coaching staff but you also have to question the performances of our offensive mainstays. I believe that they have been hamstrung by an injury ravaged line and that this is our key issue.

Defensively, it would seem that we have questions surrounding specific players rather than the scheme itself.

Its going to be interesting to see how this team rebounds.

Tony Soprano Guest

I think it's more than that Fat Pang.

The offensive performance of the first unit in Pre-season (4 games) carried right on over in the regular season.

I have other problems with the team. Run-stuffers are certainly easier to acquire than good pash rushing DL. We take Carriker and try to MOVE and MOLD him to NT. I think with First round picks, you're better off not moving people are using them as projects. Carriker was a good DE, and we've made him into a project. I don't know how much Linehan knows about Defense.

Klop and Byrd are both worrisome picks.

I thought the decision to pick up the N.O. Running back that can't block was fool-hardy and shows bad decision making. We have actual needs and don't need another project - and certainly don't need another player on offense that can't block.

We let Kevin Curtis walk away?

It goes beyond what we saw today - and question the direction of the entire team.
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -09-23-2007 at 09:16 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast