Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RealRam is online now Registered User

Re: List the problems thread

Interesting commentary Tony. Maybe Coach Linehan's decisions have been downright poor, failing to upgrade the team where it was / is required, choosing the wrong players or, as you said, the right players for the wrong position (projects). Et cetera.

True, the fact of the matter is that we are winless after 3 weeks. But I believe (I honestly believe, not just because it is a 2007 wishful slogan) ... that there are some indicators of, not only potential, but positive moves and plans of improving and I dare say, of winning.

I wasn't too excited about welcoming Coach Linehan but I support him, albeit relatively speaking as results are challenging enough. I so wanted to see us win today. I admit I can only slowly shake my head in disbelief right now. The Rams offense is simply too strong to leave the game with ... 3 points?!?

It's going to be interesting to see how this team rebounds. -- Fat Pang

eldfan is offline Registered User

playing calling, turn overs. 3 Spoon to small for mlb, Bad draft picks over the years. These guys are not ready to play week in and week out this year. Thats starts with the head coach and end with the head coach.
    :ramlogo:

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FatPang
    Haven't seen this game yet, so I'm commenting at a disadvantage.

What I would say perhaps is that the rash of injuries and our current won-loss record may be affecting Olson and Linehan's confidence in terms of taking more shots down the field. If this is the same scheme Linehan ran in Minnesota and theres no reason to think it isn't then we have to assume that the plays are in the playbook and that he's willing to use them.

On that basis, not only do you have to ask questions of the coaching staff but you also have to question the performances of our offensive mainstays. I believe that they have been hamstrung by an injury ravaged line and that this is our key issue.

Defensively, it would seem that we have questions surrounding specific players rather than the scheme itself.

Its going to be interesting to see how this team rebounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    I think it's more than that Fat Pang.

The offensive performance of the first unit in Pre-season (4 games) carried right on over in the regular season.

I have other problems with the team. Run-stuffers are certainly easier to acquire than good pash rushing DL. We take Carriker and try to MOVE and MOLD him to NT. I think with First round picks, you're better off not moving people are using them as projects. Carriker was a good DE, and we've made him into a project. I don't know how much Linehan knows about Defense.

Klop and Byrd are both worrisome picks.

I thought the decision to pick up the N.O. Running back that can't block was fool-hardy and shows bad decision making. We have actual needs and don't need another project - and certainly don't need another player on offense that can't block.

We let Kevin Curtis walk away?

It goes beyond what we saw today - and question the direction of the entire team.
    I think Fat Pang hit the nail on the head.

The preseason is the time to try new things and get some new players in. So the starters never really get a rhythm, I think it's hard to say it's as simple as it just carried over.

We have had this discussion before and you still have never answered who we should have signed instead of Pittman. There wasn't anybody, so there is no use complaining about Pittman unless you have some names.

Kevin Curtis is hardly the answer to our offensive problems. He has one big game and now he would have been our savior? I don't think so. Go check his production from his first two games.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by supachump View Post
    Chavous is a liability. Remove him immediately.
    I second that. He's the most experienced guy in the secondary and was the reason that we lost the whiner game. You can say there was a whole game, you can say that Dante losing the punt lost it, you can blame the spike. However, Chavous had the opportunity and responsibility to tackle Gore on that 4th and 1. Could he stop him before the 1st down, no, but all he had to do was stop him and they still had 40 yards or so to go! Our defense is actually playing alright when they aren't hurt by turnovers on offense.

I'll take Todd Johnson over him easily at this point.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Perhaps Tony, I'd be a little more convinced if this is what we were seeing toward the end of last year. As it is, I think we're viewing the team from the lip of the hole they find themselves in and it colours everything else. Its understandable.

Picking up a fourth /fifth tight-end/FB/tweener (Hell I don't know, what is he?), whilst questionable isn't why we're 0-3. Curtis had one great game today but had been anonymous to this point. Klop's growth has been retarded by the pick up of McMichael, Byrd has temperament issues and yes I'm not a fan of switching players positions (Carriker) but we were all extolling his potential at the spot before the season began.

Ditto Witherspoon who attracted some nice reviews last year.

So, I have to think lay the lions portion of the blame at the collpase of the offensive line which just got a hell of a lot worse now with Setterstrom out. This is the kind of thing you just can't cater for. It leaves your QB open to a beating, fails to open holes for your RB, and leaves your defence in crappy field position.

Playcalling?

I would argue that no amount of scheme can cater for a lack of healthy bodies on the O-line.

ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I could probably name more, but IMO these are the biggies...

2. Playcalling: It would seem our offensive coordinator (with an unknown amount of influence from the head coach) is attempting to protect our offensive weaknesses along the line by calling an uber-conservative game. We've probably run more quick hits to the wide receiver than we have any other type of completed pass route this season. Unfortunately, someone needs to inform our coaching staff that there are ways to get the ball out quickly that actually result in gaining yards down the field. The Rams began to lean on the run today, and Steven Jackson also began to step up. But the unimaginative playcalling that refuses to look anywhere downfield until it's too late is destroying this offense's chance to stay in football games. Our longest completed pass of the day today was 18 yards.
    If i see that play to Torry or Issac next week im going to fly to Dallas and ring Olsen's scrawny neck. Neither Torry nor Issac are known for their abilities to run after the catch. Its a rediculous play that shouldve been thrown out a year ago. Olsen and Linehan have had a year and 3 games to figure out that play is worthless. They say its designed to bring the corners down closer to the line to allow our WRs to get behind them for big plays... it doesnt work, find something that does.

Truth is offline Registered User

To win:

- No throw ball to other players
    - No drop ball on ground for others to find
    - Kick ball through little sticks at end of field
    - No let other team score points
    - Play nice with team mates
    - Have good plan to win game
    - No be afraid to change plan when not work
    - No do things to make stripey men with yellow cloth mad
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Spiderwolf is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    You know, I'm getting tired of "Bulger Sucks." That statement doesn't even make logical sense. The man has been one of the top rated Quarter Backs in the league almost since his first season starting.

Please, next time, use logic, or don't post. I get enough of people who can't use simple logic on a day to day basis without getting it here.
    Get tired of it all you want. The guy simply cannot put points on the board. I dont care how high he is rated, if you cannot get into the end zone. you have a problem. The Rams have been my team for 45 years pal, and I stand by what I said. Once Warner was let go and Bulger took the reigns, this team has had trouble scoring. Ive never liked Bulger. He cannor get the job done. He has had 3 or 4 years now and he seems to get worse every year. You can throw all the stats at me you want, but the bottom line is he cannot put points on the board!!

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I may be incorrect on this and if I am someone please correct me, but I don' think that Carriker was fully moved over. If I remember reading around the draft time when the idea came up, it was pointed out that even though he had the title of DE he lined up over the center/guard. So that would mean that he has some experience at playing NT.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Thought I would re-open this thread seeing how some really thought our defense was not an issue. Anyone think that they still aren't a problem.
    Last edited by RamWraith; -09-30-2007 at 05:24 PM.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Of course, our DEF is a problem. Stats can be very misleading and with us always behind and as no offensive threat - teams were running against us so much. So, the stats we skewed - if a team is always trying to run on you, they'll get less yards (than by passing on you).

Our Defense sure is a problem.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Complete mental breakdowns, poor playcalling,Too many injuries to overcome, players not playing up to par....the season is now officially over.

Dcowboys1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    how the heck do you figure Haslett as over rated? The D played very well today, they just ran out of steam
    I dont think allowing 504 yards of total offense is "playing very well"

lmao

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

I would say our biggest problem is our pass rush. We cannot get pressure on the Qb without bringing extra men. That definatly needs to be changed. I dont really think it is the players as it is the play calling. Carriker, hall, and little ar egreat rushers the calling just sucks. Our CB's are not consistent. they do well in the 1st quarter and then after that they cannot be relied on. And also Jeff missing field ghoals is really killing our momentum.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dcowboys1 View Post
    I dont think allowing 504 yards of total offense is "playing very well"

lmao
    Might want to check the dates on the responses you're quoting. Just a tip for the future!
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast