Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Little agrees to restructure contract to remain a Ram

Little agrees to restructure contract to remain a Ram
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/27/2008

The Rams have reached agreement on a contract restructuring with defensive end Leonard Little that will keep him with the team in 2008.

Little was due a whopping $7.17 million roster bonus Saturday that would have left him with a cap count of $9.532 million against the Rams’ 2008 salary cap. That fueled speculation that Little, who turns 34 next season, would be a cap casualty before the end of this week.

But the restructuring treats the $7.17 million roster bonus as signing bonus, meaning it can be spread out over the remaining two years of Little’s contrract. As such, only half of the total — $3.585 million — counts against the Rams’ cap for the 2008 season. (The other half will be added to Little’s ’09 cap total.)

The restructuring lowers Little’s 2008 cap count to just under $6 million, freeing up an additional $3.585 million this year to re-sign players or sign new players in free agency. The restructuring gives the Rams more than $10 million in cap room.

Little missed nine games last season because of a toe injury that required surgery. Little was in St. Louis on Monday to have the toe examined by Rams doctors. The check-up showed that Little is ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation.

As recently as Monday, it looked as if the Rams were strongly considering releasing Little. But league sources said Little and the Rams reached agreement Wednesday on the restructuring.
    Once again, Bernie's right on top of another story...

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Little restructures contract to remain a Ram

Wow this is good news. 3.585 million is a whopping amount of money to help in the free agency.

Some reason, I still think we should draft Gholston to play on the otherside of Little if Long isnt there...now that we have money, we can add a player via FA.

Lets hope Bruce agrees to the same kind of deal

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Well, that's a fair way to do it, and it is probably in the best interests of all parties. This doesn't cost Little a dime because the signing bonus is guaranteed money, and we can't afford to lose our best pass rusher right now.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

SWEEEET, That just made my day. Hope he gets himself back to pro bowl form & draft a young stud for the other side to form a great set of bookends.

BEER is offline Registered User

Talking Re: BREAKING NEWS: Little restructures contract to remain a Ram

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE View Post
    SWEEEET, That just made my day. Hope he gets himself back to pro bowl form & draft a young stud for the other side to form a great set of bookends.
    With Long or Vernon on the other side, definite Pro bowl for Little.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

This is great news! Ok Bruce your next.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Leonards cap hit this year is nearly 6 million (5.945mil) this year. By changing it to a signing bonus we will have to pay Leonard 3.6 million (3.585 mil) in 2009 even if we decide to get rid of him due to injury or performance. This is not a good move even if he would come back and get 10 sacks this year it don't make us a better team and SuperBowl contender in 2009. 2009 is what we need to plan for we need to improve this year and be ready to make a run in 2009. We needed to spend that 6 mil this year and 3.6 mil next year on a player that would be a near shoe in to be a big contributor in 2009 as well as 2008. This is a bad gamble for for the future of this organization.

I really think by making this move the team is trying to please the fans. I think Little might help us this year but signing him is not good for our future. This might be a stretch but lets say Leonard helps us win two extra games all by his self will we be superbowl contenders this year because of that? I don't think so.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -02-27-2008 at 10:25 PM.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I still don't like this at all. 6 mil in cap space for an injured 34 year old DE who will need to be replaced soon anyway? I would have preferred to cut ties with him now and save the money while we could. Will he return at 100% next season? If he does will he ever have a 10+ sack season again? I hope this doesn't deter us from getting Chris Long or Gholston with our first pick, but it probably will. Jake Long seems almost a lock now. I also hope that doesn't mean Bruce is the one getting the axe. If they chose Little over Bruce they're crazy.

St.Louis Ram 56 is offline Registered User

Awesome News, On Both Bruce and Little

Ramer is offline Registered User

This is great news, I always liked Little. Now lets sign Bruce.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Exactly what you've all been saying, if we can do this for Leonard Little, we can CERTAINLY do it for the future HoF player, Isaac Bruce..Let's get it done FA!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Keenum is offline Registered User

Good, I like it. Now it's time to get Bruce's agent in there.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    I still don't like this at all. 6 mil in cap space for an injured 34 year old DE who will need to be replaced soon anyway? I would have preferred to cut ties with him now and save the money while we could. Will he return at 100% next season? If he does will he ever have a 10+ sack season again? I hope this doesn't deter us from getting Chris Long or Gholston with our first pick, but it probably will. Jake Long seems almost a lock now. I also hope that doesn't mean Bruce is the one getting the axe. If they chose Little over Bruce they're crazy.
    Your point can easily be turned around and made to cut Bruce. Little is not done in the NFL. Sure you can cut him and then watch him play with the red, white and blue (pats). I guess the Giants should of cut Straham since he was OLD and had some injury woess the previous year???

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Leonards cap hit this year is nearly 6 million (5.945mil) this year. By changing it to a signing bonus we will have to pay Leonard 3.6 million (3.585 mil) in 2009 even if we decide to get rid of him due to injury or performance. This is not a good move even if he would come back and get 10 sacks this year it don't make us a better team and SuperBowl contender in 2009. 2009 is what we need to plan for we need to improve this year and be ready to make a run in 2009. We needed to spend that 6 mil this year and 3.6 mil next year on a player that would be a near shoe in to be a big contributor in 2009 as well as 2008. This is a bad gamble for for the future of this organization.

I really think by making this move the team is trying to please the fans. I think Little might help us this year but signing him is not good for our future. This might be a stretch but lets say Leonard helps us win two extra games all by his self will we be superbowl contenders this year because of that? I don't think so.
    I guess the Giants should of done the same regarding Straham?

Who would you get if you cut Little that will bring the Rams a championship in 2009. If it's that easy please let us know which player. Like it or not Little will be the best DE on this team next year and probably next year no matter who Rams draft this year. Do not under-estimate his ability due to recent injuries. R. WHite(GBP), R. WHite(Dal), M. Straham(NYG), won a championships and played some of their best ball as they approached 40y/old.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    I guess the Giants should of done the same regarding Straham?

Who would you get if you cut Little that will bring the Rams a championship in 2009. If it's that easy please let us know which player. Like it or not Little will be the best DE on this team next year and probably next year no matter who Rams draft this year. Do not under-estimate his ability due to recent injuries. R. WHite(GBP), R. WHite(Dal), M. Straham(NYG), won a championships and played some of their best ball as they approached 40y/old.
    Bruce has never had a such a huge dropoff in his production like Little has and is one of the best recievers of all time. Little has had one good year in his last 4 and has nowhere near the talent level of StrahaN and White. Horrible comparison comparing Bruce and Little. Do you realize Little is the 3rd highest paid Ram behind Bulger and Holt? Please someone tell me how Little is worth that? Did you not see him play last year BEFORE the injury?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-27-2008, 09:25 PM