MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

A Little Closer Look at Keith Toston ..

Quote:
    East-West Shrine Game: Keith Toston (Oklahoma State) showed a well rounded game today. He stays low, showing great patience and vision every time he carries the ball, as he smoothly glides across the field while getting five-seven yard carries regularly in practice today. He is a very agile back, and can maneuver his way through trash at the line of scrimmage. His feet are outstanding and he runs under control even though he can make ankle-breaking cuts on a dime. Toston even showed some toughness today because Chris Thomas (DB - Air Force) was crushing players today, but he could not make Toston lose his feet. His low center of gravity and balance was surely making NFL scouts drool. Draft Guys (01.20.10)

East-West Shrine Game: Keith Toston (Oklahoma State) impressed me once again with his lightning quick stutter step. His leg drive after contact and his ball security was top notch as several defenders were trying to strip the ball away from him but to no avail. He has great body control and balance. Toston spun away from contact, and then used an arm bar to keep Dexter Davis away. He also has the ability to spin when trying to pick up extra yardage after already being wrapped up. Even though hes not the biggest back he does run with adequate pop. Its advisable not to blink when Toston is on the field because he can get to the second level in a hurry. Draft Guys (01.19.10)

East-West Shrine Game: Keith Toston (Oklahoma State) was the most explosive running back on the West team. He showed good quickness after the handoff, and good inside/out ability. Toston would not try to bounce his runs outside, but when he was in the second level of the defense hed cut towards the sidelines and turn on the speed; solid footwork and natural instincts for running the football. Draft Guys (01.18.10)

Quote from Oklahoma State Cowboy Football :

Keith Toston
    Height / Weight:
    6-0 / 214
    Position:
    RB

A senior running back coming off a very productive junior season ... A physical but fast runner ... Should end his career firmly entrenched on OSU's career rushing charts ... Has 1,507 career rushing yards entering 2009 ... Averages 6.1 yards per rush for his career ... Has 16 career rushing touchdowns to rank No. 13 all-time at OSU in that category ... Has three career 100-yard rushing games, including two in 2008 ... Overcame a season-ending injury in 2007 to become an important offensive weapon in 2008.

2008 (Junior): Averaged 6.7 yards per rush as a junior with nine scores ... His yards per carry led all OSU running backs ... Ran for more than 100 yards in consecutive games with 132 yards and two scores against Missouri State (on just 11 carries), and 114 yards and two touchdowns against Troy ... Ran nine times for 59 yards against Texas A&M ... Scored a TD in six games ... Ran for 78 yards and two scores against Houston ... Had 12 rushes for 56 yards against Baylor ... Showed big-play ability with a 56-yard run against Missouri State for OSU's third longest run from scrimmage ... Had a 28-yard run against Houston, a 26-yarder against Troy, a 23-yarder vs. Iowa State, and a 20-yarder vs. OU ... Ran for 28 yards in the bowl game, including a 16-yard run ... Had a 29-yard reception against Missouri State and caught a 12-yard pass vs. Troy.

2007 (Sophomore): Played in 11 games before suffering a season-ending knee injury at Baylor... Had a healthy five-yard average per rush and also caught eight passes ... Was in the starting lineup for games against Florida Atlantic and Troy ... Ran for 53 yards on nine carries against Troy and carried 11 times for 49 yards with a touchdown against FAU ... Had a 24-yard pass reception against Kansas and caught two passes for 24 yards against Texas A&M ... Also had two receptions for 22 yards against Texas.

Report from Philly.com Sports:

Scouting Report
    A backup through his first three years at Oklahoma State, Toston was given a lot more of the workload as a senior due partly to Kendall Hunter's injury-plagued season and he took advantage. Toston ranked second in the Big 12 with 1,218 rushing yards and led the conference with 5.4 per carry. His 227 rushing attempts in 2009 were only 19 fewer than the previous three seasons combined. Toston's production clearly was a big key to the Cowboys posting a second consecutive 9-4 season even with Hunter often sidelined and quarterback Zac Robinson having his worst season in three years as the starter. What Toston lacks in agility and natural talent he makes up for with determination and good football smarts. Plus, he's an excellent blocker as well as a competent receiver - he had 25 catches for 261 yards in 2009. All of those qualities should lead to Toston making an NFL roster even though it's very possible he doesn't get picked until the late rounds or goes undrafted. The all-Big 12 first teamer even threw a touchdown pass in the Cotton Bowl for Oklahoma State's only points in a loss to Mississippi. He only received 10 carries in that game and 10 in the regular-season finale at Oklahoma, and the Cowboys lost both.

One thing about Billy, Spags, and the scouts they have scouring the country for talent, is they apparently never rest .. They are constantly on the hunt to find hungry young players with good character who love the game and will give it their all.

Could be this kid Toston will surprise - it's way too early to make predictions regarding how well his talent will transition to the NFL, but he'll certainly bear watching during the preseason games. He's tough, durable, can both catch and block (pick up blitzes), and has a penchant for taking it between the tackles rather than trying to take it outside. Although he's clearly not a home run threat, he does have exceptionally quick feet and a lightning fast ability to change direction in traffic. He may turn out to be just what the Rams need to keep the chains moving while allowing our D valuable rest time .. Thoughts??

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: A Little Closer Look at Keith Toston ..

I personally like the kid, and hope he becomes a good back-up.

But there's a reason why he was an UDFA, so my hopes aren't too high...

Best of luck to him.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    But there's a reason why he was an UDFA, so my hopes aren't too high...
    Likely his rather pedestrian 40 yd dash time - 4.60 & 4.62 ..

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I remember seeing somewhere that there are more undrafted players in the league than 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th round players, so that doesn't scare me off in the least. Undrafted players come out of nowhere every year. Hopefully we just found a diamond in the rough and he becomes a great backup to Jax.
    I believe!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I remember seeing somewhere that there are more undrafted players in the league than 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th round players,
    Wow! That is pretty amazing, if true. I saw Toston play somebody this past year and he looked impressive overall. 40 yard dash times for RBs don't mean as much to me. Lotta great RBs never were all that fast in the 40. That drill is a better guage for other positions anyway.

WHAT SAY YE?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Wow! That is pretty amazing, if true. I saw Toston play somebody this past year and he looked impressive overall. 40 yard dash times for RBs don't mean as much to me. Lotta great RBs never were all that fast in the 40. That drill is a better guage for other positions anyway.

WHAT SAY YE?

Depends. 40 yard dash might not be the best measurement of a running back's abilities and future production, but it does measure some things.

For instance, if wondering if a certain RB has the speed to turn the corner and burn the defenders, it's logical to look at their 40 times. If a back runs a 4.28, it's safe to say that they will have more success turning the corner and being a home run threat rather than a RB who strains himself and still only runs a 4.56.

Now, there's also a thing called "game speed" which most people are familiar with. An example of a player with game speed but lacks "pure speed" is Jerry Rice. He wasn't a fast guy, but come gametime, he made people miss, and he just looked faster than the guy next to him.

Now, Toston might have good game speed. And more power to him, considering he ran a way below average 40 yard dash. But, my hopes aren't too high yet.

Considering he ran a 4.60 yard dash, the reports of him being agile and elusive and powerful better be true for him to have a better chance of succeeding and making the roster.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I'd have liked to see more of his "faults" to get a better picture. Like Rockin said there's a reason he went undrafted and it wasn't just a slow 40. He ran a faster one than Knowshon I think, or one very similiar. Not ever seeing the guy play in person, but listening to his report. I'd have to say that his lack of production, lack of explosiveness, seeming inability to truly stand out and the fact that runningbacks aren't considered as valuable if they aren't exceptional at something, is the reason he went undrafted.

We'll see how the guy does and I certainly love a back who keeps his feet and has quick hips. I'm rooting for the guy, the more players we have that step up and assume roles, the less needs we will have. Not to mention less "professional analyst" and fanboys roasting the FO for not swooping down on every name that hits the market because we "lack so much talent"...

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Toston was a sleeper in the draft. I see him making the team.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

This kid sounds exciting. I was watching some film on him and he looks pretty electrifying. I hope he makes the team and sits under Jackson. He can learn and possibly get a play in every now and then.