Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Systemlangstaff is offline Registered User

A little news report - McDaniels as OC?

If Shurmur goes to Cleveland, McDaniels may go to St. Louis
    Posted by Michael David Smith on January 10, 2011, 7:57 PM EST
    Kansas City Chiefs v Denver Broncos

Former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels thought he’d spend the next few years tutoring 2010 first-round draft pick Tim Tebow. Instead he may end up tutoring first overall pick Sam Bradford.

With coaches around the league changing jobs, one particular coaching move could result in McDaniels becoming the offensive coordinator in St. Louis, where Bradford would run his offense.

We previously noted that Pat Shurmur, the current Rams offensive coordinator, is believed to be the favorite to get the head-coaching job in Cleveland. Jason La Canfora of NFL Network tweets that that’s what many expect, and if that were to happen McDaniels would be likely to replace Shurmur.

McDaniels is also a candidate to become the next offensive coordinator in Minnesota, although it appears that St. Louis is a more likely destination — at least if that job becomes open.

hmmmmm. let the thoughts pour in.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-10-2011 at 10:22 PM.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Re: A little news report

Quote Originally Posted by Systemlangstaff View Post
    hmmmmm. let the thoughts pour in.
    I just threw up in my mouth.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-10-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm not sure what to think. On one hand, he's had success as an NFL offensive coordinator and I'm sure he'd help Bradford's development. On the other hand, his background is in a different offensive system and the Broncos videotaping incident leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. If Devaney/Spags interview McDaniels and feel he's qualified and are satisfied with his character as a coach, I'll probably be fine with that.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

I don't like McDaniels as a coach, but I think he has had great success as a coordinator. I really don't like Childress, and think the amount of criticism his ex teammates gave him was pretty telling of the type of person he is (ie. not talking to some players at all during last season, players quitting on him and calling him a bad coach). The other option of coordinator would be the offensive coordinator currently on the Vikings, who is going to be let go soon.

I think McDaniels would be able to help Bradford, and develop Amendola even more. I just don't like how it's a completely different scheme. I would really like to have Shurmur return and build upon what he did this year, with more talent and more understanding of the scheme. I would be happy for him getting the Cleveland job, but short turn it will probably hurt the Rams.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If Devaney/Spags interview McDaniels and feel he's qualified and are satisfied with his character as a coach, I'll probably be fine with that.
    Me too, but I'll still have reservations. McDaniels can't seem to stay away from controversy and pretty much left Denver a mess.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Can't say I would be too excited about that.... but not too unhappy either.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I don't really see where they mention any evidence of this, or any source at all, other than a tweet?

I think I'll believe it when I see it at this point.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

No. I know he'd only be a coordinator, but he completely ruined Denver. The videotaping scandals would only bring controversy we don't need. Plus, I don't want Bradford to turn into another Cutler in terms of his habits. We can do better than him.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ramendola16 View Post
    Plus, I don't want Bradford to turn into another Cutler in terms of his habits.
    What habits? McDaniels never got the chance to coach Cutler due to their falling out after the rumored Matt Cassel trade. That situation won't be repeating itself here, as the Rams aren't going to be entertaining thoughts of trading Bradford and McDaniels loves Bradford, according to Peter King.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Me too, but I'll still have reservations. McDaniels can't seem to stay away from controversy and pretty much left Denver a mess.
    I think he would be fine as OC Spags want let that kind of stuff in Denver happen in St Lou.
    :ramlogo:

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I prefer him more than Childress.

Plus, I also prefer his offensive scheme over Shurmurs version of the west coast offense. To see Bradford put up big numbers like Orton would be really nice, especially when we will be adding some young talented receiving options.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    What habits? McDaniels never got the chance to coach Cutler due to their falling out after the rumored Matt Cassel trade. That situation won't be repeating itself here, as the Rams aren't going to be entertaining thoughts of trading Bradford and McDaniels loves Bradford, according to Peter King.
    I was sort of referring to the whole falling out incident. And while I know it's highly unlikely, I doubt many Denver fans expected that Cutler would be leaving either. I just don't want to even flirt with that possibility.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

If I can put my Patriots bias aside, I think McDaniels would be a great addition to our team. Like him or not, he has one of the brightest offensive minds in the NFL. I mean, Orton had no business being one of the top QB's in the league, especially with the rag tag group of wide outs they had. Don't tell me Brandon Lloyd all of a sudden reinvented himself- no, Josh McDaniels deserves all the credit. I think he would provide an excellent balance to Spag's conservative style. And sure, would hate to disrupt Sam's development, but I don't think it will. There might be a slight lull, but I believe McDaniels' scheme provides a much higher ceiling than Schumur's PWCO.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I would like the hire. The only problem I have is Bradford already changing offensive systems, but its early for him so hopefully whoever the new coordinator is (if Shurmur leaves) he will be in that system for a while.

McDaniels offenses have always been good he was the OC in Tom Brady and Randy Moss's record breaking season. Kyle Orton has his best year and through the first half of the season he was on a record breaking pace in terms of passing yards. Shurmur Haters should love him because his system is more downfield oriented, so it requires at least one or two deep threats. TEs aren''t used as much in the passing game. McDaniels like Shurmur was originally a QB coach so that also helps Bradfords development. McDaniels picking personal has been horrible, do have his practices as a head coach in general, but his QBs and offenses have always performed and I respect that. If the Rams sign him I would like the signing, Childress also intrigues me because he is also a QB coach and brings the continuity factor

Trevor is offline Registered User

Rather have Mike Martz..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast