throwback week

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    cfh128 is offline Registered User

Re: A little news report

The only thing that bothers me is the fact that I can't ever remember a running back having much success in his offenses

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I would absolutely love if we got McDaniels as our OC to replace Shurmur. He has a history of great tutelege with QBs (Brady, Cassel, Orton) by seemingly getting the best out of each of them and adapting his system to fit their strengths and work with them. This may sound like a bad thing (but I don't think it is), but I prefer him over Childress because he flamed out so bad in Denver that he would probably have a hard time finding another head coaching job in the near future. Childress on the other hand could come here and have some success before jettisoning off for another job. I'm looking out for the future of our franchise here in Sam Bradford and we're going to need continuity in order for him to fully maximize his potential. Peyton Manning has had Tom Moore since he came into the NFL and I'd really prefer it if we had an OC that would be here for the long haul.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

La Canfora suggests Rams could pursue McDaniels

From Rotoworld:
    NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that the Rams may pursue Josh McDaniels as an offensive coordinator candidate if OC Pat Shurmur leaves for the head coaching job in Cleveland.

Shurmur is the favorite for the Browns' job. The Rams don't have viable in-house alternatives, and McDaniels would be an awfully interesting addition for Sam Bradford. "McD" has established a reputation for getting the absolute most out of quarterbacks, and Bradford would be his most talented pupil since Tom Brady. St. Louis' top competition would come from Minnesota.
    Very, very interesting. McDaniels did good things with Cassel and Orton, would love to see what he would do with Bradford. And i doubt you would see conservative play calling from McDaniels. Although this just seems to be speculation from La Canfora and not word from a source at the Rams or anthing like that

EDIT: whoops! Just seen a similar thread, could this be deleted please!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    The only thing that bothers me is the fact that I can't ever remember a running back having much success in his offenses
    Well the only thing i would say is that he hasn't been at a place with a true number one running back. New England and Denver both ran by committee

ramfan56 is offline Registered User

Re: La Canfora suggests Rams could pursue McDaniels

Like I said!! Lets all pray we get that little mad scientst with us!

Systemlangstaff Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    The teams we play are going to be looking for the run and dump system we've had over the last season, we need a scheme with deep threats involved, evidentially giving SJ more success and taking a load off his shoulders.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

What I really do like about this premature crop of potential OC's is that so far, we've really only heard brand names enter the discussion. Guys like Childress and McDaniels are proven NFL commodities as co-ordinators, and it excites me that they're being mentioned as logical successors to the position. I know that the Saunders experiment really didn't work out, but I blame that as much on the Linehan regime as I do on any other factor. I like that guys who really know how to make an NFL offense 'go' are being paid serious lip service. As much of an oxymoron as 'serious lip service' appears in print, it's all we have to work with at this time.

I'm still all in favour of keeping Shurmur for Bradford's sakes. If he is to leave, I think the fact that two touted and successful OC's are in the mix to continue to assist Bradford's development is a major plus.

Tony Banks Guest

Maybe it's a case of McDaniels not being ready to be a head coach, but being ready for a coordinator's position. I can't say I'd be too upset if we took him. I'm not sure I like the idea of Chilly. I think Minnesota became more of a disaster on his watch than Denver did on McDaniels'.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd be okay with it, if DeSpags is comfortable with him. However, at first glance, it seems the Chiefs OC position might be the more comfortable fit for McDaniels.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rammiser is offline Registered User

The thing that scares me is if this happens Bradford will already be in his second system. What happens if the Rams dissapoint next season and Devaney decides to fire Spags? Then Bradford will be going into his 3rd system in as many years. Look at the track record for this type of thing happening to young qb's and stunting their growth. If we bring in a new coordinator it has to be in the same system. We can't afford to change systems year after year and expect Bradford to grow leaps and bounds. I am no Shurmur fan but keeping Bradford in a system he knows while he learns the NFL qb ropes is more imprtant to me right now.
    Just Fix It

richtree is offline Registered User

I am not a Pat Schmur fan based on what he has done here with the Rams. McDaniels made Kyle Orton and Brandon Lloyd look like a passing machine. I would imagine he would get the most out of Bradford and SJax with a young recieving core. I would take it if Bradford feels comfortable with him.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ramendola16 View Post
    I was sort of referring to the whole falling out incident. And while I know it's highly unlikely, I doubt many Denver fans expected that Cutler would be leaving either. I just don't want to even flirt with that possibility.
    The Rams wouldn't be, since McDaniels would be just a coordinator and wouldn't have final say over personnel decisions. But again, King seems to indicate he loves Bradford.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    This may sound like a bad thing (but I don't think it is), but I prefer him over Childress because he flamed out so bad in Denver that he would probably have a hard time finding another head coaching job in the near future. Childress on the other hand could come here and have some success before jettisoning off for another job.
    See, I would actually argue that the other way. McDaniels is young and may not have been ready for the responsibility. If he finds consistent success again as a coordinator, he's going to be brought up for bigger opportunities.

Holt Your Horses is offline Registered User

Re: A little news report - McDaniels as OC?

I would not mind this at all if Shurmer is gone. McDaniels never seemed afraid to do what he felt necessary to win. As a head coach this cost him with decisions regarding his roster, but as a coordinator it can be a tremendous asset. It all goes back to playing to win versus playing not to lose. I get the sense from the games he coaches that he plays to win. I like his fire, and his players seem to play for him. Couple that with Spags even keel/team centric approach and maybe they could work some magic.
    Defence Wins Championships

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

My pro/con scale is almost evenly balanced:

Pro:
    Has had a lot of success as an offensive playcaller.
    Seems to really work well with the passing game.
    Probably a better coordinator than HC.

Con:
    Don't like the whole videotaping thing.
    New system for Bradford to learn.
    May view his next OC job as a stepping stone to get a second HC gig.

Like many others here, I trust Spags and Devaney's judgment on this one.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

For the sake of Bradford and the rest of the offense I hope Perry Fewell has an absolute blinder of an interview today in Cleveland.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast