RamWraith is offline Registered User

Little playing Monster position

Anyone catch Little lining up in the Monster Linebacker position, giving him a rage of gaps and dropping back into coverage. Basically giving us 4 linebackers and 3 down lineman.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Little playing Monster position

Rams benefit by moving Little::

By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    10/04/2004

Rams safety Aeneas Williams acknowledges the crowd after the Rams' victory Sunday night.
    (Gabriel B. Tait/P-D)

SAN FRANCISCO - Rams coaches have talked about moving Leonard Little around on defense for much of the season. On Sunday night, they finally did it.

Little, who has been a mainstay of the St. Louis defense at left end for the past three seasons, was moved off the line of scrimmage in what basically was a linebacker position for a few plays against San Francisco.

"It was a little changeup," Little said after the Rams' 24-14 victory at Monster Park. "They just put it in this week, to see how it was going to work out. I think we got pretty good pressure when we did run it."

Little was moved to the middle of the field on those plays, standing up a couple of yards behind the line of scrimmage.

"I'll do anything that's going to make this team get better and win," Little said. "They can line me up at safety, I do not care, as long as this team wins games."

Little recorded his second sack of the season, but it was from his usual left defensive end position. He also recovered a fumble - forced by linebacker Tommy Polley - for the Rams' first takeaway of the season.

Injuries limit Archuleta

Because of back and hamstring injuries, Adam Archuleta was replaced in the starting lineup at strong safety by Rich Coady. But Archuleta came in as part of the nickel and dime packages and was effective and active on defense. He was credited with five solo tackles, according to unofficial press box stats.

"I think it was just a matter of I didn't practice this week," Archuleta said. "And I think most coaches pretty much have a policy that if you don't practice, you don't play. So that's just the way it went. We had talked about it before the game, that that was going to be my role, and we would see how it felt."

Archuleta made it through the game without aggravating either ailment.

"It didn't get any worse, so I'm confident that Wednesday I'll be ready to go," Archuleta said.

Wednesday is the first practice day of the week.

Tercero and Garrett make debut starts

Offensive guard Scott Tercero and cornerback Kevin Garrett made their first NFL starts for the Rams. Tercero replaced Chris Dishman, who was a pregame inactive because of a sprained knee. Garrett started in the cornerback spot manned by Aeneas Williams last week against New Orleans.

With DeJuan Groce on the pregame inactive list for the second straight week with a sprained knee, the Rams decided to move Williams back to free safety and give Garrett a chance this week. Garrett has played sparingly this season - in fact he didn't play a down from scrimmage last week against the Saints. Tercero was a preseason surprise at tackle, but guard is his natural position from college.

Newson sits

Joining Groce and Tercero among the Rams' seven pregame inactives were: LB Tony Newson (ankle); CB Travis Fisher (forearm); DT Jimmy Kennedy (foot); and offensive guards Blaine Saipaia and Darnell Alford. Alford and Saipaia were healthy scratches. Newson, one of the team's special teams regulars, suffered a sprained ankle last week against New Orleans.

Among the inactives for San Francisco were WR Brandon Lloyd, a former University of Illinois star, and DE Andre Carter, who averaged 8 1/2 sacks in his first three NFL seasons.

Prime-time Mike

Sunday's victory was the Rams' seventh straight in prime time under coach Mike Martz, and fourth straight on Sunday night. The team is 11-5 overall in prime time under Martz, and 12-8 in such games since the move to St. Louis.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Anyone catch Little lining up in the Monster Linebacker position, giving him a rage of gaps and dropping back into coverage. Basically giving us 4 linebackers and 3 down lineman.
    Great observation, RW. I think this is what the coaching staff was wanting to work toward when they brought in D-Lew and Grease. Once Pickett establishes himself as an NT in this quasi 3-4 situation and D-Lew becomes more comfortable in that strong side DE spot, I think we will see more of this from Little.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tanus is offline Registered User

now this is what i like to see. being aggressive and trying out new things. about time marmie!

Uberman Guest

I swear to god . . . If little was a regular citizen he would be in JAIL right now . . . lucky for him he is one hell of a football player

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Misunderstood the post. Silly me.
    Last edited by ZigZagRam; -10-05-2004 at 01:36 PM.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Uberman
    I swear to god . . . If little was a regular citizen he would be in JAIL right now . . . lucky for him he is one hell of a football player
    Of course, at the same time, he might be able to redeem some of his social worth by turning into the MLB the Rams' identity is searching for.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

His trial is in February.

If he were not a pro football player, his trial would be in... February.

So, what's your point?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Little playing the monster is a brilliant idea......

Move Leonard Little to Monster.......BRILLIANT!!!!

Brilliant!!!

bluengreen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    His trial is in February.

If he were not a pro football player, his trial would be in... February.

So, what's your point?
    I think the point is that if he weren't a pro football player, he wouldn't be having a trial in February because he'd still rightfully be in jail for killing someone instead of out drinking and driving AGAIN.

I rather like the Rams, but Little is the most loathesome player in the NFL. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings by saying so.

I won't defend Little's actions, but I will correct your statement.

Little received a sentence within the guidelines for his first conviction. Any other first time offender with gainful employment would have received the same sentence. Likewise, his current charge is being handled within the rules applicable to everyone.

Whether Little is the most loathesome player in the NFL is certainly debatable. Jamaal Lewis certainly would get some votes in that category.

bluengreen Guest

Fair enough.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Leonard Little not the most loathesome player in the NFL...BRILLIANT!

RealRam is offline Registered User

LL is playing w/commitment & hopefully, with maturity. Expect another solid job at DE this yr.

I think Little is a good man. A couple of very foolish mistakes are in his life forever, but I perceive him to be essentially a good man learning to be better.

Right, Avenger, about Jamaal Lewis. He and Ray Lewis, those two are at the bottom of my list! :tough: