Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Little was right

From Greg Easterbrook's Tuesday Morning Quarterback column on ESPN.COM

Big Gamble That Worked No. 2: Trailing St. Louis 28-27, the Blue Men Group reached first-and-10 on the Rams' 32 with 17 seconds remaining. Their coaches gambled by sending Mack Strong up the middle, assuming the field goal was already within reach. Then Matt Hasselbeck spiked the ball to stop the clock, and on the disorganized play Seattle was called for not being properly lined up, moving the spot back to the St. Louis 36-yard line with four seconds to go. Had the call been a false start, 10 seconds would have run off the clock and the game would have ended. The replay showed both illegal formation and false start, but it was illegal formation the zebras called, and that penalty does not include a 10-second runoff. From the 36, Josh Brown hit a 54-yard field goal to win. Note about an ending more exciting than Seahawks fans would have cared for: With three minutes remaining, Seattle led 27-21 and had a third-and-4 on Les Mouflons' 11, St. Louis down to one timeout. Maurice Morris ran and crossed the first down marker; had he simply dropped to his knees, the game would have, for all intent and purpose, been over. But Morris tried to churn for an extra yard and fumbled. A moment later, Marc Bulger threw that highlight-reel 67-yard touchdown to Torry Holt, and the sweaty-palms finish was set in motion.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Little was right

I've looked at the replay half a dozen times in slow motion and don't see it. In fact, only one person on Seattle's team even moves after the snap (excluding Hasselbeck since he's spiking the ball), and that's left guard Chris Spencer. I don't see any pre-snap movement from anyone, and it's a shame that Easterbrook didn't point out specifically who moved when he made his claim.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

aff15loader is offline Registered User

Gotta hate those bad calls but what can you do about it? I just don't like it when it affects the outcome of the game (such as in this rams game and for the bengals) It was a bad call in the rams game but the Bengals were just robbed!

Large_Ant is offline Registered User

Not that anyone is using this alleged officiating mistake as an excuse or anything, but let's not forget the Rams offsides penalty that was never called that preceded the Seahawks timeout on 3rd & 3 which would have effectively ended the game as well.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Seattle Seahawks - 2004 & 2005 NFC West Champions

And we could talk about the pass interference calls that were given to the Hawks on third and long. and....

Quote Originally Posted by Large_Ant View Post
    Not that anyone is using this alleged officiating mistake as an excuse or anything, but let's not forget the Rams offsides penalty that was never called that preceded the Seahawks timeout on 3rd & 3 which would have effectively ended the game as well.

or we could talk about how the NFL is already in the process of changing the rule as it also should be a 10 second run off for an illegal formation. or...

SORRY this game does not sit well with me. It reminds me way too much of 2001 Super Bowl. MAKES ME SICK!!! next subject!

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Large_Ant View Post
    I said this in another thread, there were many bad calls for both sides. The pass interference on Tye Hill was ridiculous, just like the Little offside non call. There were so many "if's" in this game, it's just not worth going through them all. Fact is the Hawks came out in the second half and put a beating on us and won the game.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well now my head is really spinning. :x

Let's suppose that both a) Illegal Formation AND b) False Start penalties were called against the Seahawks (regardless of Hasslebeck calling for T.O. since the ball had already been snapped).

I would also like to assume that at least one in the army of officials would have seen Leonard Little c) clearly jump Offside and that he, the official, would have brought that up to the referee, Ed Hochuli during their all important -- make that crucial -- meeting.

Three flags, three penalties. Everyone in the stadium nervously awaits the verdict.

Wouldn't one of Seattle's penalties been offset due to Little's offside? If so, is it up to the Rams to decide which one?

What about the fumble between center and QB :O, a ball recovered by the Rams?

WOW. Good thing we have the bye-week to go back and forth on this.
    Last edited by RealRam; -10-17-2006 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Color

Chrome_CW is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    And we could talk about the pass interference calls that were given to the Hawks on third and long. and....
    Is that call or calls?? Because the 1st PI call was definitely PI, the 2nd call if anything was PI on Jackson - and this is coming from a Seahawks fan.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome_CW View Post
    Is that call or calls?? Because the 1st PI call was definitely PI, the 2nd call if anything was PI on Jackson - and this is coming from a Seahawks fan.
    I'll agree with that. Thanks for being objective. However, all of this what "ifs" is just counterproductive. Let's move on...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Let ... it ... go. -- Rambo

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I'm still upset, but there's nothing you can do. We all know we should've won, simple as that.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

There is always the chance of human error. Unfortunately for us the Human error cost us this time.

Bottom line is that it was a great game and it's time to move on.

After watching the game on NFL Replay (4th Qtr. only), I realized I had made a blundering mistake on how I thought the sequence of the last few plays went on Seattle's last drive. Post No. 8 here.

Especially thinking that Leonard Little's offside penalty happened just before the controversial penalty(ies). As in "three flags for three different penalties".

In the controversial and confusing context I mentioned the fumble between center and QB as well as Hasslebeck calling for time out (when in fact they were already out of TO's and he actually spiked the ball instead).

Sorry. Totally out of sequence. :\

'Let ... it... GO' -- Rambo - First Blood

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I'm still upset, but there's nothing you can do. We all know we should've won, simple as that.
    I understand what you're saying, Varg, but I can't honestly say we "should've won". We pounded them for 1 half. We looked great on both sides. But they destroyed us in the 2nd half, and we simply can't allow that to happen. The Hill call was horrible, but so was the Little non-call.

Bottom line, if our D stopped them, or at least kept them out of FG range on the last drive, then yea, we were the better team. However, when it mattered the most, their O beat our D. That is something we can't have.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast