Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RockinRam

Thread: Lloyd catches TD pass after changing play ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Lloyd catches TD pass after changing play ..

BY JIM THOMAS STLtoday.com | Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 12:00 am

Despite all the game-planning that takes place in the NFL, the difference between winning and losing often comes down to improvising. So it was on Brandon Lloyd's 8-yard touchdown catch late in the second quarter Sunday against New Orleans.

"You guys are going to laugh," quarterback A.J. Feeley said when asked to describe the play. "Because the play was called differently. As we broke the huddle, (Lloyd) was like, 'I'm running this.' I was like, 'All right.' Which rarely happens. We've never done that, never happened all year long."

The improv worked, giving the Rams a 17-0 lead. With Lloyd cutting inside Saints cornerback Patrick Robinson, Feeley got the ball out quick, before safety Malcolm Jenkins could arrive with help. What was offensive coordinator Josh McDaniel's reaction to the play?

"He just looked at us and shook his head," Feeley said.
    "But he's played with Brandon before and Brandon has a great sense of the game and a good feel for running around."

Sacks and more sacks

Playing with the lead, and making a team one-dimensional by stopping the run, can do wonders for a pass rush. Such was the case for the Rams. In the Saints' previous 88 regular-season games under coach Sean Payton, they had never given up more than five sacks in a game. That changed Sunday when they gave up six sacks to the Rams, including a career-high three by Chris Long. Laurinaitis, Robert Quinn, and Fred Robbins had one each.

Ram-blings

Hall got poked in the eye and tight end Lance Kendricks suffered cramps; those were the only injuries reported by the Rams. ... Pregame inactives for the Rams were: QB Sam Bradford (ankle), WR Danario Alexander (hamstring), CB Justin King (groin), RT Jason Smith (neck/concussion), LB Brady Poppinga (calf), DT Darell Scott (concussion), and RB Jerious Norwood. ... With 191 yards from scrimmage Sunday, Jackson passed Marshall Faulk for third on the Rams' career list. Faulk had 11,030 yards from scrimmage as a Ram; Jackson now has 11,150.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Lloyd catches TD pass after changing play ..

It's always smart when it works

It's a good thing it worked too, huge boost to the team at that point in the game.

shower beers is offline Registered User

That's something that seemed to be missing from our squad too; a veteran's understanding of the game. As long as he doesn't go overboard that is

Great to have someone with those instincts. Can't wait for Bradford to start throwing him the ball!

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Even more than the play call and the touchdown catch I think Lloyd's two big misses early on helped the team the most. Yes I wish AJ hadn't overthrown him but just proving we have a deep threat and a deep threat that can beat you made the Saints respect our passing game. Something we haven't had in awhile.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    It's always smart when it works
    And dumb when it doesn't. Isn't life so funny sometimes?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    Even more than the play call and the touchdown catch I think Lloyd's two big misses early on helped the team the most. Yes I wish AJ hadn't overthrown him but just proving we have a deep threat and a deep threat that can beat you made the Saints respect our passing game. Something we haven't had in awhile.
    Very true. Steven's 159 yard game in which he got 2 TD's and averaged 6.4 YPC prove it.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    One thing's sure on those two plays - Brandon Lloyd was open with no one in front of him both times .. It's been a while since we've seen that from any of our receivers except the one time this year our other Brandon got open and scored on a busted coverage .. My favorite was Lloyd's two handed snatch on the sideline giving us the critical 1st down we so badly needed. That was truly a great catch - the Saints didn't even think about challenging it.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I remember the last time this team had a player with great instinct and knowledge of the defense...cough...Marshall Faulk...cough.
    live4ramin likes this.