throwback week

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By laram0
  • 2 Post By rNemesis
  • 1 Post By GROUND DOG 39

Thread: Lloyd happy to be with a team that wants him ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Lloyd happy to be with a team that wants him ..

BY KATHLEEN NELSON Thursday, October 20, 2011

Wide receiver Brandon Lloyd hit the ground running. And catching.

Lloyd hopped on a plane after his trade to the Rams from Denver and spent Tuesday, normally an off-day around the NFL, reacquainting himself with the offense in which he thrived last year. Lloyd spent the day with offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who coached Lloyd for two years with the Broncos and got the best out of him, a league- leading 1,448 receiving yards last season.

As a native of Blue Springs, Mo., and an alum of the University of Illinois, Lloyd finds himself on something akin to home soil and ready to fill a big role with the Rams.

"It's definitely good to be back closer to home," Lloyd said. "Most importantly, it's good to be on a team which values my services. I'm excited to get out there. I was surprised at how much I was able to recall from a couple years ago. It felt really smooth."

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo agreed, saying, "It looked like he didn't skip a beat, kind of stepped in there and looked like he had been in there for a month. It will take some work to get the timing down, but he does know the system."

Lloyd is an old hand at getting the timing down. Only once in his career has Lloyd worked with the same QB the entire season, 2007, with the Redskins and Jason Campbell. So, whether A.J. Feeley or Sam Bradford gets the call Sunday against the Cowboys seems irrelevant.

"I'm pretty used to switching around," he said with a hearty laugh. "So it doesn't matter who the quarterback is."

Lloyd became expendable to the Broncos because new coach John Fox prefers a run-oriented attack, because of their 1-4 record and because Lloyd is in the final year of his contract. Both sides were ready to turn the page, but Lloyd was reluctant to express any bitterness at being dealt for a fifth- or sixth-round pick.

"I'm not going that far," he said. "I'm just saying my services are valued here, and I'm excited to play here."

A reputation as a malcontent or brooder has dogged Lloyd through three seasons with the *****, two in Washington, a year in Chicago and his first in Denver, when he was inactive for 14 games. His most productive season before last year was 2005, when he caught 48 passes for 733 yards in San Francisco.

The Rams hope that with experience comes maturity, something the receiving corps here is desperately seeking. Before Lloyd, 30, and Mark Clayton, 29, took their first reps in practice Wednesday, the Rams' receivers averaged 23.4 years of age. The group is looking for leadership.

"That's how I was looking at it when I was coming here," Lloyd said. "It's not an issue of talent. It's an issue of focus and understanding and what's trying to be accomplished with the plays that are being called. Once they grasp that, they have enough athletic ability to do what they want to do. I think that's my role: To show these guys how I have prepared and how I train, how I study and how I play in the games. That should help them in their careers."

Clayton said the Rams' young receivers should heed Lloyd's example on the field.

"I've seen him since he came in the league, actually looked up to him as far as his route-running, his technique," said Clayton, a seven-year veteran. "He runs routes like I like to run routes. It's fast, we're not stopping. It's full-speed, turn and go. Nobody's going to be able to catch up."

CLAYTON, JOHNSON RETURN to practice

Clayton and defensive back Marquis Johnson practiced for the first time since being removed from the physically unable to perform list. The two can practice for up to three weeks before the Rams decide whether to activate them or place them on injured reserve. Clayton seemed in a hurry to be activated, perhaps against the Cowboys.

"I feel pretty good about being able to play on Sunday," he said, saying Wednesday "was cool. We'll see how it goes and then get up (Thursday) and see how my knee responds. Roll out. Do it again and put another one away."

Spagnuolo was more reluctant to assess their performances or availability.

"You tread lightly because you're talking about knee injuries," he said. "So hopefully they have no setbacks."

Both offensive tackle Rodger Saffold (fibula) and running back Cadillac Williams (thigh) returned to practice after undergoing MRIs on Monday that revealed bruises. Other than Bradford, the only player who did not practice Wednesday was defensive end C.J. Ah You, who developed an infection after doctors removed pins from his wrist last week.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Lloyd happy to be with a team that wants him ..

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    BY KATHLEEN NELSON Thursday, October 20, 2011

Spagnuolo was more reluctant to assess their performances or availability.

"You tread lightly because you're talking about knee injuries," he said. "So hopefully they have no setbacks."
    I get it we want to be smart with guys returning from injury. But Coach we are 0-5 and need to start winning now. If this guys can go they need to play. I'm guessing your job depends on it.
    hawaiianpunch likes this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'm not sure it quite depends upon it, but to have any chance whatsoever at making a run, we need to win this week. I doubt we'll make that run, but at this point, in my mind, we can go 11-5 until we lose that 6th game.

I just want the two vets out there because they'll actually grab what Sam throws to em. We wouldn't be 0-5 if we just did that.
    I believe!

rNemesis is offline Registered User

No question, Sam needs to play this week if he's even 70%, which is better than Feeley's 100% ! And to hell with the season, we just need to win a darn game first before we talk about making a run. WIN A FRICKIN FOOTBALL GAME!!
    bruce4life and hawaiianpunch like this.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

Another good point Brandon Lloyd after watching his highlight videos is that he can catch the ball wherever thrown. He has Unbelievable catches and IMHO is the most underrated receiver and has been for a long time. Brandon Lloyd said something classy at stlouisrams.com which was " I think this team is a talented group and there are good athletes here. This team is better than the current record they hold. Bringing a guy like me in I hope i can help as a veteran show the young guys how i train and how i go through my progressions as a wide receiver." As classy as that was i believe he was being very generous because of how we played but thought he was kind of right. Rams are a talented bunch that just have to put the peices together. Spagnolo kind of sounds like his still waiting for next season.

He has to put both of them and and get them going. Sometimes you have to run before you can walk, but in this case, we have to sprint and get a W.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -10-20-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling or grammatical error

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

He certainly doesnt seem like a cancer to me, but all players usually say all the right things when their first traded.? I really cannot see him being a problem as long as he is in the starting line-up.? I love the way he goes up and snatches the ball from the air. I think Brandon will be raring to go, now he has a QB like Bradford throwing to him.! WIN WIN situation.? Im really starting to see hope the Rams can turn this season around, so its not a total failure.! Hopefully building some momentum for next season.?
    GO RAMS
    hawaiianpunch likes this.