Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By clive
  • 3 Post By Flippin' Ram
  • 2 Post By HUbison
  • 1 Post By Flippin' Ram

Thread: Local leaders officially reject Rams' plan for dome

thoey is offline Registered User

Local leaders officially reject Rams' plan for dome

I am sure there is a better place to put this, so please move if there is...

Local leaders officially reject Rams' plan for dome

The St. Louis Rams’ $700 million plan, now officially rejected by local sponsors, calls for 6,000 more seats in its “Super Bowl” layout.

Samantha Liss
    Reporter- St. Louis Business Journal

Local leaders have officially rejected the $700 million upgrade plans to the Edward Jones Dome. The Business Journal reported last week the plan would be rejected.

On Friday the Rams will receive a letter from the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission (CVC) that informs the football organization that the city, state and county have no intention of upgrading the Edwards Jones Dome to make it a top-tier facility, a requirement of the original 1995 lease.

In a letter dated July 3, which will arrive Friday, the CVC President Kitty Ratcliffe writes, “it would not be prudent to implement the Edward Jones Dome improvements suggested in the arbitrators’ March 20, 2013, Final Award.”

The two parties could not agree on the extent of the upgrades earlier this year and were sent into arbitration. Three arbitrators sided with the Rams' $700 million plan, and ordered the CVC to pay the Rams $2 million legal fees and other costs tied to the arbitration.

If no upgrades are made to the dome, the Rams can move forward on a year-to-year lease beginning March 2015.

The CVC’s letter says the city, county and state are “open to dialogue” and “remain committed” to working with the Rams under the terms of the lease.

Missouri Governor Jay Nixon is now negotiating with Stan Kroenke, Rams owner, to keep the team in Missouri.

This space for rent...

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Local leaders officially reject Rams' plan for dome

This is actually old news. Those of us who live in Missouri have heard about this since last March.

The CVC must have finally sent an official letter or something.

thoey is offline Registered User

Sorry, when I saw it, I double checked the date and it said 5 July, so thought it was new.

Mods can delete if it is old news.
    This space for rent...

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

It is current, it's just the "official notice" letter. It was said last week it would be going to the Rams today. Now it is Stan's move on what to do next, if anything.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

clive is offline Registered User

Rams move to London back on?
    RamDez and sephjnr like this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Your move Stan. Time's running out and I'd like to see our Rams get a stadium that lives up to the tier of the Superdome or Lucas Oil Stadium.
    RealRam, MoonJoe and THOLTFAN81 like this.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Your move Stan. Time's running out and I'd like to see our Rams get a stadium that lives up to the tier of the Superdome or Lucas Oil Stadium.
    Kroenke needs to make a deal

• BY BERNIE MIKLASZ

About Rams owner Stan Kroenke, stadiums, the CVC, and Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon: Same as it ever was. The Rams have little or no real leverage. There is no credible, NFL-approved stadium plan in Los Angeles. The league controls the LA market and wants to eventually collect lucrative fees to put an expansion team (or teams) there. The Jacksonville Jaguars have staked out London as a potential long-term destination.

Kroenke will have to make a deal here, and I believe that will happen. There needs to be a long-term stadium plan for St. Louis. Kroenke, Nixon and the NFL will eventually hammer out an agreement. But nothing substantive will occur until Kroenke conveys a sincere desire to participate in the project.

Wash, rinse and repeat.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

About Rams owner Stan Kroenke, stadiums, the CVC, and Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon: Same as it ever was.
    Be truthful.....can anyone over the age of 35 read that without having the Talking Heads come to mind?
    RamDez and RosieJones like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RosieJones is offline Registered User

The Rams will in all likelihood stay in the Saint Louis area but end up in the burbs somewhere.

Look for the Rams version of Cowboys stadium to be built here before you know it.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I think Kroenke will be willing to put money a new stadium once we're capable of filling the Edward Jones Dome 3/4s to maximum capacity. That includes grossly outnumbering fans of teams like the Packers and Steelers, god I dread seeing that dome filled with hideous road fans and I certainly hope we don't see the stadium packed with Bears fans this season come the last quarter of the season.
    Last edited by Flippin' Ram; -07-07-2013 at 02:34 AM.
    hawaiianpunch likes this.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    I think Kroenke will be willing to put money a new stadium once we're capable of filling the Edward Jones Dome 3/4s to maximum capacity. That includes grossly outnumbering fans of teams like the Packers and Steelers, god I dread seeing that dome filled with hideous road fans and I certainly hope we don't see the stadium packed with Bears fans this season come the last quarter of the season.
    In order for this to happen, the CVC and the RAMS will have to change the rules on how many games a non-PSL holder can buy tickets for. They would also have to set some rules on PSL holders using their tickets, or making sure they sell them to RAMs fans. I understand it would be hard for a PSL ticket seller to know who they are selling tickets to, but they would probably be more attentive if there was a threat of voiding their PSL rights.

For those that are not aware, when PSLs were first sold, it wasn't quite the legit "lottery" that it was supposed to be, and a large percentage of mid and lower level PSLs were sold to "people" that weren't real fans. Most of these are sold on places like stub-hub. These tickets are not available for gameday sales, or for people to buy when tickets go on sale. That is also another reason why the Dome has such a low attendance level, because these tickets aren't used by the owner unless there is bragging rights to be at the game. Of course, if the owners can make a profit by selling to visiting fans, that's better than bragging about being at said game.

gap

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Kroenke needs to make a deal

• BY BERNIE MIKLASZ

About Rams owner Stan Kroenke, stadiums, the CVC, and Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon: Same as it ever was. The Rams have little or no real leverage. There is no credible, NFL-approved stadium plan in Los Angeles. The league controls the LA market and wants to eventually collect lucrative fees to put an expansion team (or teams) there. The Jacksonville Jaguars have staked out London as a potential long-term destination.

Kroenke will have to make a deal here, and I believe that will happen. There needs to be a long-term stadium plan for St. Louis. Kroenke, Nixon and the NFL will eventually hammer out an agreement. But nothing substantive will occur until Kroenke conveys a sincere desire to participate in the project.

Wash, rinse and repeat.
    Howard Balzer

A few things about these stories and opinions confuse me, and all will be discussed this morning on Pro Football Sunday from 9-Noon on 590 KFNS (streaming at 590theman.com):
    * The CVC was never going to be the entity that paid for anything. They would have to raise the money from the city/county/state. Don't you think if there is a new stadium that plenty of taxpayer money will be needed to get it done?

*No one knows how much money Kroenke is willing to commit to a project. Everyone knew the CVC couldn't pay for the entire renovation. So, how will a new stadium that costs more be paid for? The average team contribution for new stadiums and renovations in the NFL has been around 50 percent. Did Kroenke communicate to the CVC that he would refuse to contribute to the renovation? Or was the last 18 months merely a dance that had to be experienced in order to fulfill terms of the lease and so Kroenke could get to the year-to-year he wanted on the lease?

*It's good that Gov. Nixon will be the point man, but he still has to find out what Kroenke's end game is? If it is a new stadium, it also makes Demoff look bad for all his comments about how important it is to have the facility renovated and be downtown to attract other events.

*If a new stadium is what's wanted, will it be a dome, open air or retractable roof? The latter is most expensive. And where it will be? Fenton is talked about a lot, but will that site attract other major events?

*Finally, the notion that L.A. is dead is a fallacy. Why? Because Kroenke has the ability to build the stadium himself if he wanted. He could possibly do that, making a deal with the NFL not to pay a relocation fee. So L.A. is a possibility for Kroenke to build a stadium there. Thus, he has leverage. Gov. Nixon and Co. can't negotiate with Kroenke belieiving he has no options.

Well Bernie - take that ..

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    the notion that L.A. is dead is a fallacy. Why? Because Kroenke has the ability to build the stadium himself if he wanted. He could possibly do that, making a deal with the NFL not to pay a relocation fee. So L.A. is a possibility for Kroenke to build a stadium there. Thus, he has leverage.
    Time to beat the dead horse because it seems like he's still kicking
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I have been to the dome and I really like it. Sure it's not new but it is still nice.

As far as that lease goes I don't understand how they ever thought they could live up to those continual upgrade terms.

It looks to me like Stan wants a new stadium and he seemingly holds all the cards as to where that stadium will be.

clive is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by clive View Post
    Rams move to London back on?
    Looks like the Jaguars will be moving to London.

Mohamed Fayed completes sale of Fulham to Jacksonville Jaguars' billionaire owner Shahid Khan - Telegraph