Locker Room Quotes
Friday, October 22, 2004

QB Marc Bulger

(On playing with WRs Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce)
“You look around the league and some teams have no one to throw to, I’m blessed because I have two Pro-Bowl guys, plus I have all these young guys coming up, plus I have Marshall (Faulk) in the back field. I’m really fortunate to not only have those guys, but everyone else. (Holt) and Bruce are right there, they are 1a and 1b in my book. I think every quarterback is going to pick their own guys, but I think some guys would like to take (the receivers) from me.”

(On the Dolphins)
“Not too many guys in the league buy into records. You play Tampa Bay, and they have lost all of those close games, and our (game) was a close one. Miami has played all close games. Their defense keeps them in a lot of games, so it’ll be our job to score some points.”

(On the Dolphins defense)
“I think they are first against the pass and third overall. That group has been together a while, a lot like last week (against Tampa). Those corners are real confident. They’re up front, they have good linebackers, and they are solid all the way around on defense. You enjoy the challenge. It’s nice that we have been able to move the ball against (Tampa and Seattle) helps. San Francisco, someone like that, even though their records aren’t good, they still have good defenses. (Their secondary) has a lot of different looks that look the same. They do it well because they’ve done it for so long. They also get that rush up front, similar to Tampa a couple of years ago, and they bank on the fact that they are going to get to you. They’ve done a good job of making quarterbacks move around a little bit and throw, and those corners stay all over the receivers like a blanket.”

(On the Rams success in the fourth quarter)
“There are some adjustments that you make in the second half. I think it just says something about the guys, not me in particular, but guys getting open, guys blocking when we have to make plays. Our character has shown and guys have stepped up and made plays. Everyone seems to dig a little deeper and play extra hard for whatever reason.”

(On similarities to last season)
“You would like to start out quick, but that’s not always the way it works out. Sometimes you can get a spark, and maybe Seattle sparked us this year. But we are not looking down the road, by any means. It’s going to be nice to get some guys back after the bye week. I think we know what’s at stake. We want to get to 5-2 and keep our lead in the division.

K Jeff Chandler

(On his strengths as a kicker)
“I like to think that my leg is pretty strong, but I have yet to prove that really. So it would be nice for me to go out there and prove that. I think I’m pretty accurate too. I think I’ve proved that in college and in my short time in the pros so far, hopefully I can show that on Sunday.”

(On what he has been doing in recent months)
“I’ve been kicking and working out. I’ve been doing a lot of running, and stuff to, basically, stay game ready so if this opportunity did come, I would be ready. Ever since being cut in the preseason by Jacksonville, it has kind of set me back, so I had to look at things and re-evaluate where I was. I think I’ve done that and I’ve put myself in a pretty good position right now.”

(On getting called for the try-out on Tuesday)
“I was excited. I knew there was a chance that Jeff (Wilkins) might not kick this weekend, so there was a job opening. Sometimes you go into these workouts and they are just trying to see who is out there. So this is a good opportunity for me to get my name back out there. I know this will probably be for a week, but hopefully I can take this further.”

WR Shaun McDoanald

(On his punt returning)
“I think if I get some time back there, where I can get the ball in my hands, and the guys block like they did (against Tampa Bay), we’re going to have a lot of returns. I think I’ll be able to find a lot of spaces to run through.”

(On his confidence)
“I think confidence helps a lot whenever you are plying a sport for any position. When you feel confident, you feel like you can do it, you are going to play a lot better, than if you are second guessing yourself. I’m real confident back there, if a punter punts a good ball that we can return, that we will be able to get a good return and set up a score.”

(On what he expects from Miami)
“Everyone in the league is desperate for a win. They are desperate for a win, and we’re 4-2 and desperate for a win. Every game you need to go in and fight, because every team has talent, so any team can play like Super Bowl champions any week. It’s going to be real tough on the offense, because their defense is playing as good as anyone out there. It’s going to be a good challenge. They have a lot of athletes out there making plays. Their corners will get in your face. They play a lot of bump-and-run, so it’s going to be a real physical game.”

OT Orlando Pace

(On playing the Dolphins)
“Every week you just try to go out and win a ball game. I know they are trying to get their first win, so they are going to come out and play hard. They are playing at home, so we are going to take their best shot. We still have a lot of football left to play, and go down there and look at it like a business trip, and try to make it happen.”

(On Miami’s defense)
“It probably is (one of the best defenses we’ve faced). They have a lot of veteran players on that side of the ball, so we will have to be on our game. They are going to come out and fight. Their defense is one of the top defenses in the league, and we understand that. We are going to go out there and put on a good performance.”

(On the similarities between this year and last year)
“The biggest thing was, when you start the season 1-2, what we learned from last year is not to panic. Guys in this locker room and this organization did a great job not panicing, knowing what type of team we have in this locker room. The job is no where near being finished now. We still need to go out, play, and play well.”

(On QB Marc Bulger)
I think Marc is doing a great job. I think, each week, everyone is getting better, along with Marc. He is doing a great job of getting the ball to the receivers so they can make the big plays. We just need to continue that throughout the week.”

WR Isaac Bruce

(On playing the Miami Dolphins)
“We realize that they are a dangerous team. They have one of the better defenses in the league. We are going to go in their with that mindset, and make sure we respect them. We will definitely respect them, as a team and as a whole. This is the NFL and anything can happen, we’ve all seen that before.”

(On the Rams confidence)
“On a week-to-week basis, I think we are playing good. Our confidence level is pretty high, with all of these young guys making plays. You can just look at the growth of Shaun McDonald, and the way he’s, from week-to-week, is making big plays, although that punt return got called back.”

(On Miami’s defense)
“It’s fun to go out and test yourself against top ranked defenses in this league. I think they have two of the better corners in the league, so it’ll be interesting to see what kind of talent is going to be out there on Sunday for us, and how we respond to it.”

(On Dolphins’ CBs Patrick Surtain and Sam Madison)
“They are good cover guys. They stick and stay, and they can run with receivers down the field, which is important in this league. They have a really good change of direction, so it’ll be a challenge for us.”