RamWraith is offline Registered User

Long, Avery will be Devaney's test cases

By Bryan Burwell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Monday, Apr. 28 2008

By the end of the biggest weekend of his professional life, Billy Devaney still
    looked rather tidy. Not a hair out of place. Hardly a wrinkle in his
    stone-washed jeans or his tan pullover shirt, not a speck of dirt on his crisp
    white and red running shoes.

But you could see it in the eyes of the Rams' new executive vice president just
    how exhausted he was early Sunday evening after overseeing his first NFL draft
    as the franchise's de facto general manager. The diminutive personnel man stood
    in the front of the team's auditorium after the seventh round and his red,
    puffy eyes seemed a million miles away. Only a few feet away, coach Scott
    Linehan stood near the podium with a big, refreshed smile on his face, while
    Devaney stood on the opposite side of the podium with an expression that reeked
    of exhaustion.

"I feel just as tired now as I've ever felt," said Devaney.

That's what pressure does to you. Football Saturdays and Sundays are the truest
    proving ground for players and coaches to assert their greatness. For personnel
    men like Devaney, draft weekend is a condensed 48-hour trial by fire.

So what can we cull, if anything, about Devaney and the direction he's taking
    the Rams after this weekend?

We can judge his style almost immediately, but we'll have to wait awhile to
    determine what sort of taste he has as a talent evaluator. We know that in some
    cases (see: Chris Long over Glenn Dorsey), Devaney might be a bit too cautious
    for his own good. In other cases (making trades in the fourth and fifth rounds
    to move up 11 and nine slots), he showed a sharp aggressiveness to get two
    targeted players who might not have been there if he had sat tight.

The first-round grade for the Rams will be determined over the course of Long
    and Dorsey's careers. Whether Long becomes a defensive terror as a pass rushing
    defensive end for the Rams, it won't be his Hall of Fame father's shadow that
    he'll necessarily be measured by. It will be the potentially daunting shadow of
    LSU defensive tackle Dorsey, who was drafted three slots later by the
    cross-state rival Kansas City Chiefs, and the player most Rams insiders will
    tell you was the top-rated player on their draft board.

Devaney's eye for talent will be measured by that comparison as well. And for
    his sake, he'd better hope that Long is the stud that he thinks he will be, or
    at the very least that Dorsey isn't the second coming of Warren Sapp that the
    rest of us think he will become.

You can't make that determination overnight, but you can be sure that a lot of
    people want to. I can't wait to see how this plays out, and I'm anxious and
    hopeful that Howie's kid grows into a pass-rushing, run-stuffing monster.

Yet this much we know: Devaney's style is clearly unconventional. He apparently
    ignored his own draft board in the first round to take Long. Then in the second
    round, he ignored conventional draftnik wisdom when, with the 33rd overall pick
    and with absolutely no other wide receivers off the board he determined
    that the best receiver in the draft class of 2008 was 5-foot-11 speedster
    Donnie Avery.

Picking Avery is going to be one of those deals that will either make Devaney a
    certified genius or subject him to a double-barreled second guess by the entire
    pro football world, because so many far more recognizable wide receivers were
    still on the board. So if Avery doesn't become the big-play deep threat and
    home run-hitting return man Devaney thinks he is, there won't be any excuses
    about "well, we wanted to take Player X, Y or Z, but they were already gone."

But if he's right and in a Rams offense that is in dire need of a
    breathtaking speed receiver, we should find out Avery's value almost
    immediately Devaney will look like the kind of guy who fearlessly walks to
    the tune of his own music.

The Rams are betting that their future and Devaney's will be full of
    promise and prosperity that began with the draft class of 2008

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Long, Avery will be Devaney's test cases

After the season ended, I was a bit worried about putting my trust into the front office and the coaches. But we went and got Saunders and Devaney. Two masterminds when it comes to the game. I put my trust into these two men. I don't think they would let us down.

We got two receivers this year, which is one more than I though. I'm not complaining. Even if Avery doesn't make the catch, he still needs to be covered, making it one less player on the actual play itself. I think Avery will be our deep threat, he's incredibly fast. I like that. So does Saunders.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Ahhh moose, you are forgetting something. Devaney drafted Ryan Leaf. Ahead of Peyton Manning.

I know I say this all the time but the draft really is a crapshoot. One never knows how these "kids" are going to turn out. Chris Long was a safe pick, so they say. He did have a rather impressive collegiate career. Hope it translates to a very productive NFL career. Same as Avery.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Yet this much we know: Devaney's style is clearly unconventional. He apparently
    ignored his own draft board in the first round to take Long. Then in the second
    round, he ignored conventional draftnik wisdom when, with the 33rd overall pick
    and with absolutely no other wide receivers off the board he determined
    Donnie Avery.
    ignored his own draft board in the first round to take Long
    Yeah we should of taken McFadden, he was also rank higher then Dorsey. Wow..

he determined
    Donnie Avery.
    No not at all, he made a statment the Avery is the best fir for the Rams. I bet one or two WR in this draft will have issues outside of football.

Ahhh moose, you are forgetting something. Devaney drafted Ryan Leaf. Ahead of Peyton Manning.
    Devaney will never draft a guy that smoked weed and lied about, because of Ryan Leaf. All the skills, with issues.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post

I know I say this all the time but the draft really is a crapshoot. One never knows how these "kids" are going to turn out. Chris Long was a safe pick, so they say. He did have a rather impressive collegiate career. Hope it translates to a very productive NFL career. Same as Avery.
    Peyton Manning was the very first pick of that draft, and Devaney was a small part of the team that took Leaf second.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by helorm341 View Post
    Peyton Manning was the very first pick of that draft, and Devaney was a small part of the team that took Leaf second.

I stand corrected....again.....lol

Thanks helo