RamWraith is offline Registered User

Long in awe of his deal with Rams

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Wednesday, Jul. 23 2008

The dollars would be big, Chris Long realized. Yet when the papers were slid in
    front of him Tuesday afternoon at Rams Park, Long couldn't help being slightly
    dazed.

"I can't comprehend those numbers," said Long, the Rams' first-round draft
    choice in April. "I can't grasp what all those numbers really mean on a
    day-to-day basis."

Those numbers? Long's contract covers six years — the final year is a club
    option — and is worth $56.5 million. Of that total, $29 million is guaranteed.

Despite his temporary bewilderment, Long didn't hesitate before signing on the
    dotted line. St. Louis' newest multimillionaire knows exactly how he'll start
    spending his money ... and it won't be at an automobile dealership or in a real
    estate office.

Instead, the beneficiaries will be Howie and Diane Long.

"I've got some debts to pay off with my parents," said Long, a 6-foot-3,
    279-pound defensive end from the University of Virginia who was the second
    overall pick in the draft. "Growing up and living in your college town, you
    tend to accumulate a bit of a debt to your family. They're going to try not to
    accept it, but I'm going to pay it."

The completion of Long's deal came more than two months after the No. 3 overall
    selection, quarterback Matt Ryan, signed with Atlanta. The first overall pick,
    tackle Jake Long, signed with Miami in the week preceding the draft.

"My concern was just to get in to camp on time," said Long, 23. "I had to just
    have faith that ... it was going to get done in the fashion that I hoped for.
    And it did. Really, once the ball got rolling, it was over quickly."

Long's agent, Marvin Demoff of Los Angeles, met several times with the Rams'
    negotiators — president of football operations and general manager Jay Zygmunt
    and his assistant, Samir Suleiman. A deal was struck Saturday night, five days
    before players were to report to Concordia University in Mequon Wis., for camp.

"We felt it was really important to have this done and not have it last until
    the last minute," coach Scott Linehan said. "A lot of guys have gone to the
    wire (in the past), and that kind of slows you down. It worked out great for
    the timing."

Long will line up with the first team Friday at the opening practice; he
    already has been designated the starter at right end. Still, Long knows that he
    isn't guaranteed that job, no matter his draft status or how much he's being
    paid.

"I said that from Day One," Long said. "I appreciate Coach Linehan's belief in
    me as a player, as evidenced by him even making the pick. And I'm very
    appreciative of (being named a starter). But I fully recognize that I have to
    earn that spot."

Long also recognizes that the intensity at training camp will be dialed up
    considerably from June's full-squad minicamp, where he got his first taste of
    NFL competition.

"That's the way football goes: The nearer you get to the first game, the more
    the intensity goes up," he said. "I try to approach every situation in an
    intense fashion when I step on the field. I may not know everything yet — I'm
    working on that — but one thing I will be is hard-working.

"I just can't wait to get out there and show that."

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Long in awe of his deal with Rams

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    "My concern was just to get in to camp on time," said Long, 23. "I had to just have faith that ... it was going to get done in the fashion that I hoped for. And it did. Really, once the ball got rolling, it was over quickly."
    Nick, I hope you read that line. See why I felt like Long's signing came a bit late? He wasn't concerned about the money(and is even shocked by how much it is), his only concern at this point is proving his draft status and locking up the left side of our opponent's lines.

Just from this article you can see what a great kid we got in Long. He's amazed by how much his contract is worth, he wants to spend the first of his money in paying his multimillionaire parents back, and his only concerns were to get to camp and win the spot that he was already promised, because he knows that the NFL is about hard work and putting in the time, not about getting paid to play. He loves the game and I can't wait to see him on the field.

keith m. klink Guest

yep , ditto TEKE ! this kid has enough moral character for a whole team. this kid will take off plenty of the tarnish that has come the NFL way that others have caused , this isn't just a feel good kinda thing . his parents deserve more credit than they have gotten , and this statement showed that . this should be every parents model for the REAL STUDENT ATHLETE.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    yep , ditto TEKE ! this kid has enough moral character for a whole team. this kid will take off plenty of the tarnish that has come the NFL way that others have caused , this isn't just a feel good kinda thing . his parents deserve more credit than they have gotten , and this statement showed that . this should be every parents model for the REAL STUDENT ATHLETE.
    I also agree, great kid, but not surprising Howie is a pretty good guy also, I hope he has a long successful career as a Ram.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Looks like a really good deal for us, too.

Here's how the top of the draft shakes down:
    1. Jake Long: 5 years, $57.5 million, $30 million guaranteed...Average = $11.5 million/year
    2. Chris Long: 6 years, $56.5 million, $29 million guaranteed...Average = $9.4 million/year
    3. Matt Ryan: 6 years, $72 million, $34.75 million guaranteed...Average = $12 million/year
    4. Darren McFadden: 6 years, $60 million, $26 million guaranteed...Average = $10 million/year

Kudos to the front office for getting it done and to Chris Long because it gives us that much more cap space to improve the team with over the next few years.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Just from this article you can see what a great kid we got in Long. He's amazed by how much his contract is worth, he wants to spend the first of his money in paying his multimillionaire parents back, and his only concerns were to get to camp and win the spot that he was already promised, because he knows that the NFL is about hard work and putting in the time, not about getting paid to play. He loves the game and I can't wait to see him on the field.

Yes siree, absolutely!

Great to know of Long's character and eagerness to prove himself worthy of the Rams selection. May his football talent as our DE be strong, productive, and consistent. As JKramsfan said, "...I hope he has a long, successful career with the Rams".

RealRam is offline Registered User

This is old news (NFL Draft Day minus one) but in case someone hasn't seen this video on C Long's class and character:

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Chris Long

Keenum is offline Registered User

Sounds like a classy guy we got. Hopefully we'll get to hear more about him as he spends more time with the team.