NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Long, but Great Story

Hi, everyone. I haven't logged on in awhile, but I want to share a great experience I had with you. I went to the Rams-Jets pre-season game last night. I am a high school baseball coach in NJ and the father of one of my players from about 5 yrs. ago is a lifelong friend of Billy DeVaney. We met up with Billy, his two brothers, his sister and a couple of other people in the parking lot about 2 hours before game time. Billy was very gracious, we talked for about 30 minutes and I got a picture with him. He is a very intense guy, and although polite, it was obvious he was a little anxious and pre-occupied with making his debut successful. Before he left, he gave me and his friend a pass to the luxury suite to watch the game. He then went into the stadium and we stayed for a bit longer with his family. His sister came up to me and asked if I'd like to have her field pass for pre-game- she had no interest in using it. I graciously accepted.

On the way to the field, I shook hands with Henry Ellard, now a Jets asst. Then got a picture w/Boomer Esiason who was covering the game. On the sideline, I took some pics and had a great exchange with Rams punter Donnie Jones- I said "Should have made the pro bowl last year Donnie- just a flat out disgrace" to which he replied "That's what I'M talkin' about!!" Just hung out and took everything in. As I'm walking back, I see a guy who looks very familiar, I realize it's Trent Green. I get a picture with him and chat for a minute. A VERY nice guy.

As I get back to the suite, my friend (who had not been on the field) says "There's someone I want you to meet". I go down to the last row of seats right up to the window, and it's Lawrence McCutcheon. He now works in the Rams personnel dept. I ended up sitting with him for a good half hour just talking about his playing days as he quizzed me on jersey numbers of the players back in his day. A cool experience. He's a very reserved guy, but friendly nonetheless.

During the game a bunch of people were in the box- a few people from the Rams personnel dept. plus family. Steve Spagnuolo's father and sister were there. Billy Devaney's entire family was there. A gorgeous woman came up to me and asked me if I wanted a cookie while commenting that she loved my authentic Kurt Warner jersey. It was Steve Spagnuolo's wife, Maria. On top of being absolutely gorgeous, she quite possibly might be the nicest woman on the planet- effusively gracious, hugging people, playing hostess and enjoying the experience. We talked for a good 15 minutes- where are you from, what made you become a Rams fan, etc. A very nice conversation which ended with her telling me to "Get in touch with Billy and I'll get you a ticket if you ever come to St. Louis." - An offer I'd never impose on her, but unbelievable nonetheless, since I had only met her 15 minutes earlier.

Talked to Billy's brothers throughout the night- they're both coaches in the state and we know a lot of the same people. A thoroughly enjoyable once in a lifetime experience punctuated by a Rams win. Hopefully, this is the start of a promising season.

Ramer is offline Registered User

Re: Long, but Great Story

That's a cool story.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Pretty memorable event for a preseason game. McCutcheon is a very nice guy. Met him in training camp as a free agent in 1979 and he was nice enough to loan me some money (actually gave it to me and never asked for it back). He went on to play in the Super Bowl that season and if I remember right, threw a touchdown pass on a halfback option play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Jesus man. Did you get to fly in the Airforce One and shake hands with Elvis Presley too?

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Hi, everyone. I haven't logged on in awhile, but I want to share a great experience I had with you. I went to the Rams-Jets pre-season game last night. I am a high school baseball coach in NJ and the father of one of my players from about 5 yrs. ago is a lifelong friend of Billy DeVaney. We met up with Billy, his two brothers, his sister and a couple of other people in the parking lot about 2 hours before game time. Billy was very gracious, we talked for about 30 minutes and I got a picture with him. He is a very intense guy, and although polite, it was obvious he was a little anxious and pre-occupied with making his debut successful. Before he left, he gave me and his friend a pass to the luxury suite to watch the game. He then went into the stadium and we stayed for a bit longer with his family. His sister came up to me and asked if I'd like to have her field pass for pre-game- she had no interest in using it. I graciously accepted.

On the way to the field, I shook hands with Henry Ellard, now a Jets asst. Then got a picture w/Boomer Esiason who was covering the game. On the sideline, I took some pics and had a great exchange with Rams punter Donnie Jones- I said "Should have made the pro bowl last year Donnie- just a flat out disgrace" to which he replied "That's what I'M talkin' about!!" Just hung out and took everything in. As I'm walking back, I see a guy who looks very familiar, I realize it's Trent Green. I get a picture with him and chat for a minute. A VERY nice guy.

As I get back to the suite, my friend (who had not been on the field) says "There's someone I want you to meet". I go down to the last row of seats right up to the window, and it's Lawrence McCutcheon. He now works in the Rams personnel dept. I ended up sitting with him for a good half hour just talking about his playing days as he quizzed me on jersey numbers of the players back in his day. A cool experience. He's a very reserved guy, but friendly nonetheless.

During the game a bunch of people were in the box- a few people from the Rams personnel dept. plus family. Steve Spagnuolo's father and sister were there. Billy Devaney's entire family was there. A gorgeous woman came up to me and asked me if I wanted a cookie while commenting that she loved my authentic Kurt Warner jersey. It was Steve Spagnuolo's wife, Maria. On top of being absolutely gorgeous, she quite possibly might be the nicest woman on the planet- effusively gracious, hugging people, playing hostess and enjoying the experience. We talked for a good 15 minutes- where are you from, what made you become a Rams fan, etc. A very nice conversation which ended with her telling me to "Get in touch with Billy and I'll get you a ticket if you ever come to St. Louis." - An offer I'd never impose on her, but unbelievable nonetheless, since I had only met her 15 minutes earlier.

Talked to Billy's brothers throughout the night- they're both coaches in the state and we know a lot of the same people. A thoroughly enjoyable once in a lifetime experience punctuated by a Rams win. Hopefully, this is the start of a promising season.
    great story,glad you had that experience,I passed you in the parking lot after the game,we waved at each other,I remember that because of the Warner jersey which is very cool,great jersey.

majorram is offline Registered User

Great story mate, you did well to talk to these guys i would of been speechless and stary eyed... Wow sounds amazing...

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Great story indeed! Sounds like you packed a lifetimes worth of Rams memories in one afternoon. Thanks for sharing.