MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Long is just beginning to learn with the Rams ..

End is just beginning to learn with the Rams
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    06/02/2008

Irked that his hottest new prospect turned the wrong way during a drill at Rams Park, defensive line coach Brian Baker marched up to Chris Long and spread his arms.

"Does this look like Virginia to you?" Baker blurted. "This is the NFL."

So goes the early ripening of the No. 2 overall selection in April's draft. Long, a 6-foot-3, 279-pound defensive end out of the University of Virginia, is getting pounded left and right — more mentally than physically — as the Rams rush to bring him up to speed.

"We've thrown a lot at Chris, and that was the objective," said coach Scott Linehan, who anointed Long the starter on the right side shortly after the Rams picked him. "He's seen a lot of offense since he's been here. Once that starts to click in with him, I know he's going to really take off."

Long, 23, acknowledged that he struggled at times during his first nine pro practices: three at minicamp and six in organized team activities.

"It's humbling," he said. "A lot of it flew by quick. But you see the big picture and you realize it's a cycle and you're starting over again."

Long is adjusting to a new spot — he played mostly on the left side in college — as well as a new scheme. Virginia ran a 3-4 defense; the Rams' base is a 4-3. Not to mention a large leap in the talent pool.

As he adapts, he's fighting a natural urge to think rather than react.

"You're always thinking until you get to that point where you know (your assignments) like the back of your hand," he said. "The sooner the better. But I don't anticipate getting to the point where (veteran linemates) Leonard Little is or La'Roi Glover is or James Hall is overnight. I'm just going to have to keep working."

The Rams also opted for a defensive lineman in the first round last year, taking Nebraska's Adam Carriker in the 13th overall slot. Carriker, who started all 16 games at tackle his rookie season, has become a trusted counselor to Long.

"It's great to have somebody with that perspective right next to me working," Long said. "He told me, 'They're going to ask more out of you.' And that's understandable. As the guy who was picked first by this organization this year, you know there's a bull's-eye on your back. You just have to give it the best you can give it."

After recording 14 sacks and 23 quarterback pressures last year for the Cavaliers, Long is learning quickly that raw ability isn't enough at this level. Even the smallest detail must be mastered, he explained. Seemingly fundamental tasks now are serious challenges.

"Your technique has to be flawless," he said. "Things you did in college don't work at the pro level."

Long concedes that despite his first-round status, he's a work in progress. "As Coach told me, 'We've gotten through the A's, now we can go to the B's. It's baby steps; just take it day to day,'" he said.

Progress has been gradual but notable, Linehan said.

"He looks a lot more comfortable just in little things like his stance and getting the call and relating it to the situation," Linehan said. "The bright spot for him is how fast he's picking everything up. He has absolutely no anxiety whatsoever about being out there."

Some might wonder whether Long is anxious about his financial situation, since Miami tackle Jake Long and Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan, the Nos. 1 and 3 picks respectively, have signed lucrative contracts. Not so, he insisted.

"I don't even pay attention to that," he said. "I haven't talked to my agent in a week and a half. I just go out and play ball; I'll worry about that when the time comes."

When a questioner challenged the sincerity of that response, Long laughed and shot back: "I swear to you, there's nothing I'd rather be doing than sitting in my hotel room with the phone off after practice. I don't worry about that stuff."

He offered two other assurances:

— That he'd be signed and on hand when the Rams assemble for training camp July 24 at Concordia University in Mequon, Wis. "I was never into that holdout business," Long said. "That's real important to me ... as a teammate more than anything."

— That no matter how hard and how often Baker drills him, he doesn't replay his position coach's words in his dreams. "No, I get my sleep in," he said. "Anyway, those would be nightmares, not dreams."

RamWraith is offline Registered User

End is just beginning to learn with the Rams

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Monday, Jun. 02 2008

Irked that his hottest new prospect turned the wrong way during a drill at Rams
    Park, defensive line coach Brian Baker marched up to Chris Long and spread his
    arms.

"Does this look like Virginia to you?" Baker blurted. "This is the NFL."

So goes the early ripening of the No. 2 overall selection in April's draft.
    Long, a 6-foot-3, 279-pound defensive end out of the University of Virginia, is
    getting pounded left and right — more mentally than physically — as the Rams
    rush to bring him up to speed.

"We've thrown a lot at Chris, and that was the objective," said coach Scott
    Linehan, who anointed Long the starter on the right side shortly after the Rams
    picked him. "He's seen a lot of offense since he's been here. Once that starts
    to click in with him, I know he's going to really take off."

Long, 23, acknowledged that he struggled at times during his first nine pro
    practices: three at minicamp and six in organized team activities.

"It's humbling," he said. "A lot of it flew by quick. But you see the big
    picture and you realize it's a cycle and you're starting over again."

Long is adjusting to a new spot — he played mostly on the left side in college
    — as well as a new scheme. Virginia ran a 3-4 defense; the Rams' base is a 4-3.
    Not to mention a large leap in the talent pool.

As he adapts, he's fighting a natural urge to think rather than react.

"You're always thinking until you get to that point where you know (your
    assignments) like the back of your hand," he said. "The sooner the better. But
    I don't anticipate getting to the point where (veteran linemates) Leonard
    Little is or La'Roi Glover is or James Hall is overnight. I'm just going to
    have to keep working."

The Rams also opted for a defensive lineman in the first round last year,
    taking Nebraska's Adam Carriker in the 13th overall slot. Carriker, who started
    all 16 games at tackle his rookie season, has become a trusted counselor to
    Long.

"It's great to have somebody with that perspective right next to me working,"
    Long said. "He told me, 'They're going to ask more out of you.' And that's
    understandable. As the guy who was picked first by this organization this year,
    you know there's a bull's-eye on your back. You just have to give it the best
    you can give it."

After recording 14 sacks and 23 quarterback pressures last year for the
    Cavaliers, Long is learning quickly that raw ability isn't enough at this
    level. Even the smallest detail must be mastered, he explained. Seemingly
    fundamental tasks now are serious challenges.

"Your technique has to be flawless," he said. "Things you did in college don't
    work at the pro level."

Long concedes that despite his first-round status, he's a work in progress. "As
    Coach told me, 'We've gotten through the A's, now we can go to the B's. It's
    baby steps; just take it day to day,'" he said.

Progress has been gradual but notable, Linehan said.

"He looks a lot more comfortable just in little things like his stance and
    getting the call and relating it to the situation," Linehan said. "The bright
    spot for him is how fast he's picking everything up. He has absolutely no
    anxiety whatsoever about being out there."

Some might wonder whether Long is anxious about his financial situation, since
    Miami tackle Jake Long and Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan, the Nos. 1 and 3
    picks respectively, have signed lucrative contracts. Not so, he insisted.

"I don't even pay attention to that," he said. "I haven't talked to my agent in
    a week and a half. I just go out and play ball; I'll worry about that when the
    time comes."

When a questioner challenged the sincerity of that response, Long laughed and
    shot back: "I swear to you, there's nothing I'd rather be doing than sitting in
    my hotel room with the phone off after practice. I don't worry about that
    stuff."

He offered two other assurances:

— That he'd be signed and on hand when the Rams assemble for training camp July
    24 at Concordia University in Mequon, Wis. "I was never into that holdout
    business," Long said. "That's real important to me ... as a teammate more than
    anything."

— That no matter how hard and how often Baker drills him, he doesn't replay his
    position coach's words in his dreams. "No, I get my sleep in," he said.
    "Anyway, those would be nightmares, not dreams."

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Re: End is just beginning to learn with the Rams

Its impossible not to love this kid.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: End is just beginning to learn with the Rams

"You're always thinking until you get to that point where you know (your
    assignments) like the back of your hand," he said. "The sooner the better. But
    I don't anticipate getting to the point where (veteran linemates) Leonard
    Little is or La'Roi Glover is or James Hall is overnight. I'm just going to
    have to keep working."
    Respect to the veterans.
    "It's great to have somebody with that perspective right next to me working,"
    Long said. "He told me, 'They're going to ask more out of you.' And that's
    understandable. As the guy who was picked first by this organization this year,
    you know there's a bull's-eye on your back. You just have to give it the best
    you can give it."
    Respect to the other up-and-comers.
    "Your technique has to be flawless," he said. "Things you did in college don't
    work at the pro level."
    Respect for the league.
    Long concedes that despite his first-round status, he's a work in progress. "As
    Coach told me, 'We've gotten through the A's, now we can go to the B's. It's
    baby steps; just take it day to day,'" he said.
    Respect for the coaches.
    — That he'd be signed and on hand when the Rams assemble for training camp July
    24 at Concordia University in Mequon, Wis. "I was never into that holdout
    business," Long said. "That's real important to me ... as a teammate more than
    anything."
    He even throws the fans a bone.

Maybe he delivers, maybe he doesn't. But, at the very least, he's saying everything he is supposed to.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RealRam is online now Registered User

Re: Long is just beginning to learn with the Rams ..

No problem. Welcome to the NFL Chris and do your thing my man!

NFL: new / now fearsome Long.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

how will teams fair on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and LONG lol i had to
    Built RAM tough

Ramer is offline Registered User

Pretty good ramsplaya16. The was a LONG time coming.

Cowboysfan1 is offline Registered User
    wherever my Dallas Cowboys are..of course. ;)

love the attitude he brought to the combine. said he didnt care what team he played for, he wanted to play football. im sure thats something his dad taught him, and u guys really hit the jackpot with this kid. he was a player i wanted my Cowboys to nab, but there was no way. hehe.
    im glad hes learning from the vets, theres nothing wrong with asking questions, shows hes wanting to learn the pro level and be the best DE he can.
    i see this kid being a great player on and off the field and teams are going to have to account for him every down.