Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

The long, sad journey ...

Had a chance to attend my second game at the EJD this weekend against the Green Bay Packers, and boy was I excited to get out of Huntsville, Alabama on Friday afternoon. Couldn't ask for a better birthday present from my girlfriend, who is a diehard Packer's fan ...

We arrived in St. Louis late Friday evening at our hotel, the Hyatt Regency at Union Station. Really nice place and an interesting setup considering it is connected to a mall. I was quickly surprised at seeing the abundance of Packer's merchandise for sale at many of the stores inside. But this was only the beginning of a startling trend: in a matter of two hours, I must have saw 100 Packer's fans in the hotel lobby and scurrying those the mall. Over the course of the next two days and nights, which were mostly spend sightseeing and eating great food, I saw thousands of Packer's fans. I was told that there was going to be approximately 20000 Packer's fans at the dome, so I expected this to some degree, but man, it was crazy ...

SO ALL THE PACKER'S FANS IS ONE THING, BUT HERE IS THE KICKER: I DID NOT SEE A SINGLE ADULT (SAW A FEW KIDS) WEARING ANY RAMS MERCHANDISE UNTIL SATURDAY NIGHT WHEN I RAN INTO A RAM'S FAN FROM VEGAS AT JOEY B'S (WAS THAT SOMEONE FROM THE CLAN, I DID NOT EVEN THINK TO ASK?). IT REALLY IS A SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS FOR ST. LOUIS RAMS FOOTBALL ...

NEVER WOULD I EVER BE EMBARASSED TO BE A RAM'S FAN. BUT FOR THE PEOPLE OF ST. LOUIS WHO HAVE ABANDONED THIS TEAM, IT IS EMBARASSING. TRYING TO EXPLAIN THIS TO PACKER'S FANS WAS EMBARASSING ....

So, we get to the dome on Sunday, and the entire area around the dome is filled with cheeseheads. Absolutely naueseating if you ask me. Forget the reports, there were easily 45000+ cheeseheads in the dome. I was way up in section 440, row TT. I would guess about 500 people fit in that section: I counted 38 Ram's fans. The entire lower section, filled to the brim with cheeseheads ...

As for the game, kudos to the Ram's fans that showed up. They were very loud, considering as few of us as their were. We made alot of noise when the Packer's had the ball, especially on third down. Surprisingly, the Packer's fans were very quiet when we had the ball: I know this is not their nature, so it makes you wonder if they felt sorry for us. I must have had fifty Packer's fans ask me what was wrong with Ram's fans and why they don't support the team. Many even apologized. What a polite and intelligent group of fans. I'd love to go to Lambeau for game ...

Great moment for Favre. Every fan in the arena was on their feet. He's a gamer ...

1. As for the game, I only have a couple comments. Bulger looked rough and he is not the same quarterback he was last year for obvious reasons. Let's hope he shakes this off. I am hoping we can win with this guy, but I am starting to have a little doubt due to his slow decision making and lack of mobility ...

2. Apologies to S. Jackson for saying he was not running with conviction a few weeks ago. I am starting to believe this was due to injury more than anything. Geez, what a beast he was this week ...

3. O.J. Atogwe is a gamebreaker, plain and simple. It seems Haslett has spent alot of time working on his ability to be a deep ball hawk. His continued development will allow us to take the deep ball away from alot of teams ...

4. What to know how special a player Will Witherspoon is. There was one play, for those who didn't see it, where Witherspoon was lined up in the middle, then showed blitz off the edge, forcing Favre to change to a draw. Witherspoon immediately recognized the audible, moved back inside, and stuffed Grant for a loss. INCREDIBLE play by Spoon ...

5. Favre's comments on Haslett's D are awesome. I've never seen him have to make more changes ....

I really can't believe what I saw this weekend. It was truly sad. You don't see this in other stadiums. Look at Miami, who had zero wins coming into the weekend. Their stadium was packed full of fans who acted as if they won the Super Bowl when they got their first victory. Yes, the Ram's have fielded some average teams the past few years, but so what. What has happened to enjoying football on Sunday? What kind of message does it send to kids when we pack it in and sell tickets for a profit because we are struggling? It's really ridiculous ...

You think not showing up is going to spur management to make some changes? It will cause some changes alright, you'll see star players on this team heading elsewhere when free agency arrives. Why would up and coming young studs like Brandon Chillar, O.J. Atogwe, and Steven Jackson want to play here when it just adds up to another road game?

Somebody said it right and I can't remember who it was: it is easy to cheer a winner, anyone can do it. Only REAL fans can support a struggling team. It would be one thing if this team had quit on the fans, and quit on each other, but they are still busting their tails every play. The first half against the Pack was a clear indication of what we are capable of ...

So for those who sold tickets and sat on the couch watching the game, it's pathetic, it really is. There are people out there that would kill to be in your position. I understand the influx of Pack fans, but sitting front row on the 50? Absolutely pathetic. Greed is a horrible thing ...

But I'm sure you will all be back when we start winning again, or maybe not. Because I doubt this team will stay here much longer given these conditions. What would be the point?

I'm just glad I had a ton of very intelligent and very entertaining Packer's fans to help me along. And even more thanks to the few diehard Ram's fans I had a chance to interact with this weekend. It really did help on this long, sad journey ...

AND THANK YOU TO THE DIE HARDS ON THE CLAN! AWESOME PEOPLE!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: The long, sad journey ...

1. Don't judge STL fans on the Green Bay game. If anything, Green Bay has the most loyal following in the NFL and they travel well.

2. As a consumer, fans have the right to be ticked off and not show up to watch an NFL Europe caliber team. It's way too expensive anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    1. Don't judge STL fans on the Green Bay game. If anything, Green Bay has the most loyal following in the NFL and they travel well.

2. As a consumer, fans have the right to be ticked off and not show up to watch an NFL Europe caliber team. It's way too expensive anymore.
    Loyal following ... great ...

Name another time you've seen an entire stadium packed with the opposing team's fans ...

As for consumers not showing up, good for you. Don't whine when the players leave, and don't whine when the team is gone ...

Anyone who has the money to buy PSL's and season tickets really shouldn't be worried about it being too expensive anymore. If it is, sell your PSL's and let REAL fans come watch the games. Quit using the tickets as a means of profit, while leaving fans who really want to watch the games on the streets ...

Like I said, look at the Miami fans, still supporting that team and they have been horrible forever ...

Whaaa, Whaaa, Whaaa, the Ram's suck, we're an "NFL Europe" caliber team. What a load of crap ...

This is EASILY the worst fan-base in the NFL, and that is not shot at the dedicated Clanners. But point blank, in general, the St. Louis football fan base SUCKS!

Hey, I don't cry when players, coaches, girlfriends, wife, money, or tv shows leave. Just when the dog does.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti
    This is EASILY the worst fan-base in the NFL, and that is not shot at the dedicated Clanners. But point blank, in general, the St. Louis football fan base SUCKS!
    Not even close my friend.....but thanks for trying. Steelers, Lions, Dolphins, Raiders, Bears, Chargers, Bills, Jaguars, even the world champion Colts.....all of these teams fill less of their stadium than the Rams.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I've seen Anaheim stadium filled with Niner fans on a Monday night game, that is nothing new to me. Well at least since Georgia took over, I didn't get a chance to see them when Carroll Rosenbloom was alive. I made this comment before in another post, but I will say it again. This current ownership team, Georgia, John and Jay are only concerned with having a .500 team. As long as ticket money and TV money cover the cost of living in Beverly Hills, they are ok with everything as it is.

Why were there so many Packers fans, because they are a team of the people, not the dollar.....

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Not even close my friend.....but thanks for trying. Steelers, Lions, Dolphins, Raiders, Bears, Chargers, Bills, Jaguars, even the world champion Colts.....all of these teams fill less of their stadium than the Rams.
    You're kidding right? Because these NFL attendance numbers you are reading off of ESPN.com mean NOTHING ...

They do not account for no shows ...

They do not account for fans leaving at the end of the third quarter ...

They do not account for the stadium being packed with fans from the other team ...

How ever many tickets are sold are accounted for in the attendance figures each game, whether or not they show up ...

Every team you listed has fans FAR superior to ours. There will be more Steelers fan's than Ram's fans in the dome Thursday, guaranteed ...

Unless you were at the Packer's game, you wouldn't understand. The dome holds what, 66000 fans? There were at least 45000 Packer's fans or more, and at least 2000-3000 Ram's fans that didn't even show ....

The fans are pathetic ... point blank ...

When other team's fans are apologizing to you, it's pathetic ...

When you are surrounded by opposing teams fans at home, it's pathetic ....

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

You're kidding right?
    No, I'm not.
    Because these NFL attendance numbers you are reading off of ESPN.com mean NOTHING ...
    Actually, those numbers represent tickets sold, which to the decision makers means EVERYTHING.
    They do not account for no shows ...
    But they do account for tickets sold.
    They do not account for fans leaving at the end of the third quarter ...

They do not account for the stadium being packed with fans from the other team ...
    Every team you listed has fans FAR superior to ours.
    Based on? If there's an objective, quantifyable way to evaluate that statement, I'd love to see it.
    Unless you were at the Packer's game, you wouldn't understand.
    No, I understand quite well. All those teams I mentioned sell a lower percentage of tickets than the Rams. No shows....leave early.....other team......who cares? They all represent tickets sold; And THAT is all that matters at the end of the day. As long as Rams fans keep buying tickets, why should management care about the product?

You're assertion is the "St. Louis football fan base SUCKS". To those who make the decisions, ticket sells would say otherwise.
    Last edited by HUbison; -12-18-2007 at 02:24 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

What's pathetic is other teams fans apologizing to you. Why? You didn't play the game. You didn't sign the players. You didn't hire the coach.

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

okay maybe all those teams sell less tickets, but still. what kind of fans would sell their tickets to the other team's fans. That whole scene was just embarassing. I wasn't there, but on TV it looked like they put a roof on Lambeau and moved the game up there.

One side said "Lambeau South", another "Silence of the Rams". That's just sad! Is there no pride left?
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

What's pathetic is other teams fans apologizing to you. Why? You didn't play the game. You didn't sign the players. You didn't hire the coach.
    Nothing pathetic about it. They care about football, they care enough to make the trip to watch the game, just as I did ....

They understand how pathetic the situation is ...

They understand they shouldn't take things for granted ...

Why are you so bitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
    okay maybe all those teams sell less tickets, but still. what kind of fans would sell their tickets to the other team's fans. That whole scene was just embarassing. I wasn't there, but on TV it looked like they put a roof on Lambeau and moved the game up there.

One side said "Lambeau South", another "Silence of the Rams". That's just sad! Is there no pride left?
    This is exactly why the Packer's fans there were so stunned. Selling all those tickets to the opposing teams fans is no different than wishing for the team to lose ...

No, I'm not. Actually, those numbers represent tickets sold, which to the decision makers means EVERYTHING. But they do account for tickets sold.

But they do account for tickets sold. Based on? If there's an objective, quantifyable way to evaluate that statement, I'd love to see it. No, I understand quite well. All those teams I mentioned sell a lower percentage of tickets than the Rams. No shows....leave early.....other team......who cares? They all represent tickets sold; And THAT is all that matters at the end of the day. As long as Rams fans keep buying tickets, why should management care about the product?

You're assertion is the "St. Louis football fan base SUCKS". To those who make the decisions, ticket sells would say otherwise.
    End of the day, bottom line numbers, you are right, management probably does not care ....

However, that doesn't mean the fan base doesn't suck ...

And the Packer's don't come to town every week, hence, every game will not be sold out ...

We are down to 95.9% attendance this year, off 5% from last year. That continues for one or two more years, and they'll look elsewhere ...

Overall, the city of St. Louis just does not care about this team, PERIOD ....

And even worse yet, I guarantee you all of those Packer's "fans" weren't even true Packer's fans. I can guarantee this because the fan next to me was a Ram's convert ....

The city does care. For the first ten years or so with this franchise every game was sold out. No other team in the NFL outside of Green Bay could say that. And that was with Chris Miller, Tony Banks, Amp Lee, Lawrence Phillips, Eddie Kennison (boy, talk about a bad first round that year). They may just be fed up. A few good years after being so bad for so long then to fall back into the abyss just maybe upset a few.

Can't blame them. This team is terrible. The coach has no excitement in this team at all.

The city does care. For the first ten years or so with this franchise every game was sold out. No other team in the NFL outside of Green Bay could say that. And that was with Chris Miller, Tony Banks, Amp Lee, Lawrence Phillips, Eddie Kennison (boy, talk about a bad first round that year). They may just be fed up. A few good years after being so bad for so long then to fall back into the abyss just maybe upset a few.

Can't blame them. This team is terrible. The coach has no excitement in this team at all.
    Ask Brett Favre if our defense is not exciting ...

If you cannot get excited watching our D fly around and play hard, then you just don't have a football pulse ...

If you can't get excited watching Steven Jackson run over people the last few weeks, you have no football pulse ...

The problem is, half the so-called Ram's "fans" are business suits who look at having the PSL as a STATUS SYMBOL, nothing more ...

As for "the city does care", no city that cares would let their stadium be overrun by an opposing team's fans, EVER!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast