RamWraith is offline Registered User

Long story: Chris taps into dad Howie’s know-how

By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Steadily, rookie defensive end Chris Long is adapting to the NFL game. “He’s really coming along,” coach Jim Haslett said. “You can see he’s not thinking, he’s just reacting now. Obviously, that’s going to help Leonard” Little on the opposite side of the line.

Long, the No. 2 overall pick in April’s draft, has a built-in advantage: His father, Howie, was an NFL defensive lineman from 1981-93 and is a Pro Football Hall of Famer.

“We talk a lot,” Chris said. “Just imagine how much a kid talks to his parent anyway about what they’re doing, and imagine if he played 13 years, he’d have some stuff to say. He’s done a good job, though, of giving me my space. We talk every day, just as father and son.”

<><><>

Online fan voting for the Pro Bowl is under way at NFL Events: Pro Bowl

The NFC and AFC teams will be based on an equal votes of fans, players and coaches. Fan voting ends at 11 a.m. Dec. 9, and the squads will be announced Dec. 16. The all-star game is scheduled for Feb. 8 in Honolulu.

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

*RB Steven Jackson (thigh) sat out practice Wednesday, as expected, but is optimistic about his chances of playing Sunday at New England.

*LT Orlando Pace (thigh) participated fully at practice and will start Sunday, Haslett said.

*DT Adam Carriker (ankle) probably won’t even try to suit up until Friday. He’s questionable for the game.

*With Carriker sidelined, DEs James Hall and Victor Adeyanju are getting more work inside, and Eric Moore is in the mix at DE.

*A toss from Marc Bulger to Donnie Avery for a 10-yard gain late in the third quarter Sunday has been ruled a backward pass. So, Avery is credited with 10 rushing yards, and his receiving chart now is four catches for 55 yards. Bulger’s revised passing stats are 13 of 18 for 163 yards.

*S Oshiomogho Atogwe, who picked off two passes vs. the Cowboys, has 10 interceptions in the last 14 games.

*The Rams are plus-6 in turnovers since Haslett took over from Scott Linehan.

All for now . . .

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Long story: Chris taps into dad Howie’s know-how

We have such a young line right now. I was skeptical about drafting a new DE in the draft to replace Little...but Adeyanju is really pulling through. We have an incredibly young line and these guys will only get better.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Re: Long story: Chris taps into dad Howie’s know-how

I get goosebumps thinking about the potential this team will have in the years to come with the young talent we have, plus if we have a successful draft. I gotta say I am starting to come around to Avery