Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Longtime Titans fan here. Ask me anything about Fisher

luvyablue is offline Registered User

Longtime Titans fan here. Ask me anything about Fisher

Hello RamsNation! I'm come here in peace (unless we start talking about Super Bowl 34 LOL)

Congrats on landing Coach Fish. He's a heck of a football mind and served us very well in Nashville (and at times, not so well). So I've taken it upon myself to hopefully clear up some fog about him. I've always been a Fisher fan, but his last 6 or 8 years in Nashville really soured a lot of fans.

With that said, feel free to ask me ANYTHING about him.

I hope I'm not violating any forum rules or anything.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Longtime Titans fan here. Ask me anything about Fisher

What did he name his mustache?
    MoonJoe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    What did he name his mustache?
    Well WE kinda nicknamed it "The 'Stache" but I started calling it "punt" in later years lol

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Welcome to ClanRam, always great to have fans of other teams give some good insight.

I always thought your situation on Fisher has to do with faults on both him and Bud Adams. Adams failed to let Fisher manage the blueprint of the team and forced him to work on his blueprint. (Vince Young situation) Our owner, Stan Kroenke is a very flexible owner who'll let the coach manage the grand scheme of building the teams while he provides the money, which bodes well for us and Fisher.

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Welcome to ClanRam, always great to have fans of other teams give some good insight.

I always thought your situation on Fisher has to do with faults on both him and Bud Adams. Adams failed to let Fisher manage the blueprint of the team and forced him to work on his blueprint. (Vince Young situation) Our owner, Stan Kroenke is a very flexible owner who'll let the coach manage the grand scheme of building the teams while he provides the money, which bodes well for us and Fisher.
    You're exactly right. Bud felt the need to force VY on Fisher, which caused a riff between he and Bud.

I'll say this... VY may not have been the most mentally tough guy out there, but he's a playmaker. Our franchise hasn't seen a playmaker like Vince Young since...well, ever. BUT, if a HC can't get along with his QB, there will be bloodletting.

FestusRam is online now Registered User

What do you think about Lake Dawson as a potential GM of ours?
    39WillRunYaOva likes this.

xpmar9x is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    What do you think about Lake Dawson as a potential GM of ours?
    I got this one!

Please don't steal him! He'll like take over for Reinfeldt (our current GM). It's likely Reinfeldt might be getting a promotion, and either Lake Dawson or Ruston Webster (ex-Seahawks GM, current VP of player personnel) will get the GM spot.

Dawson has been with the Titans since 07 I think, as our main Director of Pro Scouting. He's rumored to be the one who found our steals with Tommie Campbell, Colin McCarthy, and Jurrell Casey.

He knows his scouting, and is always evaluating current Titans and helps our GM decide how much money they deserve and judging trades. He's one of the great football minds in my eyes, and would be a solid GM for any team.
    Rambos likes this.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

1) So, it seems like in the later years of Fisher's tenure, the Titans defense got a reputation for being...er, feisty. Just as examples, Albert Haynesworth and Cortland Finnegan have ranked highly in dirtiest player rankings in recent years. So, my question here is did you get the impression that Fisher coached a bit of gamesmanship? Obviously not head-stomping, but trying to push the offense's buttons? On a related note, did you feel like he was lax with discipline as more of a players' coach?

2) A few years back, I read that former Titans DC Jim Schwartz's approach to defense was a Moneyball style focus on third down efficiency, red zone defense, etc. Is this also a Fisher thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    1) So, it seems like in the later years of Fisher's tenure, the Titans defense got a reputation for being...er, feisty. Just as examples, Albert Haynesworth and Cortland Finnegan have ranked highly in dirtiest player rankings in recent years. So, my question here is did you get the impression that Fisher coached a bit of gamesmanship? Obviously not head-stomping, but trying to push the offense's buttons? On a related note, did you feel like he was lax with discipline as more of a players' coach?
    Fisher is all about sportsmanship and getting respect from his players. He was very disciplined with his players, note the whole VY era. If VY (or Britt) acted up, he wouldn't play them. Most of the "fiestyness" from our players game from our ex-DCs Chuck Cecil and Jim Schwartz. Fisher likes his defense to be feared and play hard, but not be dirty. I don't think you have anything to worry about in your defense playing dirty.

2) A few years back, I read that former Titans DC Jim Schwartz's approach to defense was a Moneyball style focus on third down efficiency, red zone defense, etc. Is this also a Fisher thing?
    Big-time, it's also a Titans thing. We don't care how many yards we give up, the first 80 yards we seem like a different defense. But once we're in the red-zone it's like a new defense steps in. He's HUGE on letting the opposing team get FGs but not TDs. As far as 3rd down, our corners always seemed to play back on WRs, not allowing the deep ball, but would allow the 5 yard passes. Fish and the Titans staff always seem to allow short passes, and not the big plays. Thus, alot of 3rd and 1s/2s happen. Many of the years of defense would stop them, however in Fishers last year (and this year) we really struggled with stopping the first. My guess is Fisher will keep with the same gameplan: No big plays, focus on redzone D, and FGs are OK to allow.
    Goldenfleece likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

If the Titans were in need of a headcoach would you want Fisher back?

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Im interested to know if Fisher has ever employed a thunder and lightning combo, as a staple of his offense. I know he used LenDale White and Chris Johnson together at some point. But what I really want to know, is his philosophies regarding the running game, apart from his grind it out style.?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I've always liked Titans fans. Very classy group, IMO. I lived in Nashville for a couple of years, and went to the occasional Titans game. Without exception, the Titans fans were passionate, but never obnoxious or rude. In fact, the only incident I ever remember was when some Ravens fan in his Lewis jersey got very mouthy after a game. The Titans fans simply ignored the guy until "Lewis" started getting physical (w/ the help of adequate dosages of liquid courage). And even then the Titans fans thumped his arse with class.

Now, on to my question.......we've heard about Fisher's relationship with Adams, but how was his relationship with Reese and then Reinfeldt?
    lostsoul and GROUND DOG 39 like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by xpmar9x View Post
    I got this one!

Please don't steal him! He'll like take over for Reinfeldt (our current GM). It's likely Reinfeldt might be getting a promotion, and either Lake Dawson or Ruston Webster (ex-Seahawks GM, current VP of player personnel) will get the GM spot.

Dawson has been with the Titans since 07 I think, as our main Director of Pro Scouting. He's rumored to be the one who found our steals with Tommie Campbell, Colin McCarthy, and Jurrell Casey.

He knows his scouting, and is always evaluating current Titans and helps our GM decide how much money they deserve and judging trades. He's one of the great football minds in my eyes, and would be a solid GM for any team.
    From what I have read he is a very solid at evaluating players, I think he is the front runner for the GM spot here. Yesterday learning that Fisher title is only HC with the Rams, leads me to believe that Lake Dawson is not far behind.

Thanks for the insight xpmar9x.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    If the Titans were in need of a headcoach would you want Fisher back?
    No.

I respect Fisher for what he did with our franchise; but a change was needed. He was with the Oilers/Titans forever, and almost refused change. Would use the same system, even though our players changed multiple times. Like he'd always 4-man blitz, even though Haynesworth, Kearse, and KVB were all gone. It was time for a change in TN, get a new leader in, and players started to doubt him after the VY-saga. He's a good coach though, I do feel he's slightly overrated. Bottom line: It was simply time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Im interested to know if Fisher has ever employed a thunder and lightning combo, as a staple of his offense. I know he used LenDale White and Chris Johnson together at some point. But what I really want to know, is his philosophies regarding the running game, apart from his grind it out style.?
    Literally: Run-Run-if 3rd down: Pass, if not 3rd down: Run. He's honestly more of a 1RB HC, not a 2RB coach. So S-JAX better get ready for 90% of the carries (which isn't any different from what you do now, I think). The only time it was a 2RB set was CJs rookie year (carries were 251 CJ and 200 LenWhale). Once Fish finds his "franchise" RB he uses them... and honestly uses them too much. Chris Johnson, LenDale White, Travis Henry, Eddie George, and Chris Brown are prime examples. They normally get ATLEAST 75%+ of the carries.

His running-style has always been pound the ball up the middle. Even with CJ, the blockers would push to the 2nd level, CJ would dance around in the backfield.. then hit the hole. All of our past (main) RBs from prior years (listed above) were power runners. Fisher loves his bigger backs, to grind and run down the front 7. Which, is where TEs come into play... he gets OLB tired, and hopes they match up vs TEs. So Hoomanawanui and Kendricks should have a break-out. (Big fan of Uh-Oh, played at the same HS as me lol).

Anywho, be prepared for ALOT of runs inbetween C & G and hope SJAX can stay healthy. If he can.... a career year might be on his way.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Now, on to my question.......we've heard about Fisher's relationship with Adams, but how was his relationship with Reese and then Reinfeldt?
    Relationship always seemed good. I'd go to their summer-camp and always see Fisher talking with Reinfeldt. In interviews and videos on Titans websites I always say Fisher and Reinfeldt joking around and seemed to be friends. I'm sure Fisher is upset that we didn't take Lienart, kind-of an imporant decision and you'd want your HC on board. Not sure on Reese though.
    J-RodRamFan likes this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Fisher made it clear that Bradford in his mind is that franchise QB. Do you think Fisher will let Bradford open it up or use him more like a Alex Smith and have him manage the game?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast