Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rams#1 Guest

A look ahead to the NFC West.

A look ahead to the NFC West

By VIc Carucci

St. Louis

The Rams are hoping Marc Bulger is fully healed and ready to lead this explosive offense. What's going to help: New coach Scott Linehan has a successful track record as an offensive coordinator, but his approach is different than that of his predecessor, Mike Martz. Linehan will take some of the air out of the Rams' attack, relying more heavily onSteven Jackson 's running and more short and intermediate throws to the tight end. Knowing that Marshall Faulk will miss at least the 2006 season eliminates a potential distraction that had lingered in the offseason. Marc Bulger's shoulder is fully healed, and in the Rams' new offense he is likely to get rid of the ball more quickly and, therefore, take less punishment. New defensive coordinator and former New Orleans Saints coach Jim Haslett should take a unit that ranked near the bottom of the league in '05 and make it tougher and more physical.Will Witherspoon (Carolina) figures to be a good fit at middle linebacker. His speed and solid tackling should help set an aggressive, swarming tone. La'Roi Glover (Dallas) is 31, but still does an excellent job of anticipating the snap and possesses a good enough first step to make strong a contribution working next to an improved Jimmy Kennedy at defensive tackle. Corey Chavous (Minnesota) is a sound and savvied replacement for Adam Archuleta (Washington) at strong safety. Tye Hill (Clemson), who has worked himself into better physical shape than he was at the start of the offseason, has the quickness and coverage skills to make an immediate contribution at cornerback.
    What's going to hurt: The inexperience of the likely primary tight end pairing of Joe Klopfenstein (Colorado) and Dominique Byrd (USC), neither of whom offers much blocking ability.
    Last edited by rams#1; -07-24-2006 at 02:05 AM.

bubbaramfan is offline Registered User

Re: a looh ahead to the NFC West.

Anyone else have trouble reading the blue script on blue background?

rams#1 Guest

sorry about that I tried to fix It.

rams#1 Guest

is that better ?

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

VIc Carucci is right about the TEs, they are not really good blockers, but hopefully they will do welll enough to help the offence.

bubbaramfan is offline Registered User

Very much so, thank you. lol

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I think it's a pretty dead on article. The only part I have to dis-agree with is the part about our TE's. Since blocking is their weakness, they will be in the weight room with our strength and conditioning coach (forgot his name) working on just buffing up so that he can block better. No reason to focus on running the routes when we know that he is capable of doing so. We're gonna focus on his weak spot and try to improve it.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

Are either of the TEs signed at this point? If they are not signed and in camp, all the conjecture.... well -it will stay conjecture.....

Get the boys signed Ziggy!

coy bacon is offline Registered User

What's a looh?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    What's a looh?
    Looh ... if it is pronounced loo, ask Dez ... he might know ...

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Since when has a TE made or broke a team? What are full backs for? I think that with some work the TE issue will be a non-issue. If you read some of the other teams problems ours is really manageable in comparison:

Arizona: What's going to hurt: The offensive line might not be up to the task of keeping the immobile Warner upright enough times to be effective. It also faces a challenge in developing the necessary chemistry and timing with James to make his stretch run plays as consistently effective as they were with the Colts. The linebacking corps needs work.

SF: What's going to hurt: Trying to find continuity on offense with as many as eight new starters, on top of a new scheme. Uncertainty at center, where Jeremey Newberry is recovering from knee surgery and Eric Heitmann took most of the offseason snaps. Lingering questions about the quality and depth of the secondary.

Seattle: What's going to hurt: Losing Steve Hutchinson (Minnesota), the top guard in the game. Floyd Womack looks like a solid replacement, but he is not Hutchinson.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Cool Re: A look ahead to the NFC West.

I think Carrucci's, as well as Don Banks' (posted in the NFL forum), article is spot-on.

Here's how I see it:

Seahawks: Still the team to beat in the NFCW. They've improved at WR and LB and still have Hasselbeck and Alexander. The loss of Hutchinson will hurt, but not as much as people seem to think. They won't be sneaking up on anybody, though.

11-5

Rams: Martz is out, Linehan is in. The Rams had a good draft and added some key FAs to complement the talent they have already, but I think the real difference will be in the coaching. Rams will contend for the division title and possibly make it into the playoffs.

8-8, maybe 9-7

Cardinals: I just don't buy the hype. They're loaded with talent at the skill positions, but I'm not sold on their line. Warner gets hurt, Leinart is forced to play and takes a beating.

6-10

Niners: Continue to improve under Mike Nolan with his plan of building through the draft. Alex Smith improves upon his rookie season (how could he get worse? :confused: ) under the direction of Norv Turner. The addition of Davis and Bryant, along with the return of Johnson provide Smith with much-needed targets. The defense shall be improved by virtue of not being on the field for so bloody long.

6-10

rams#1 Guest

Re: A look ahead to the NFC West.

ACTUALLY i THINK, whoops my bad, anyway the 9ers might win 4-7 games.
    Because i think they arent as bad as we think they are, yes they still suck, but the cards at this point are worse, yes az got edge but what happens when he goes down, there is nobody behind him that can run the ball, and who is going to block for them, my point is AZ will winm 5 games and the 9ers will sweep the cards and win 6 games. Thats all folks.

-Rams#1

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

The Rams are gonna win the NFC West. The Hawks just lost the superbowl and Alexander was on the Madden Cover, you know how those work. Besides with a loss in their running game (Hutchingson) and the Rams adding to the run defense we should have no problem ripping them a new one. San Fran is still a joke, and the Cards are as well. This isn't the year for the Cards, it hasn't been for 10 and won't be for a long time. The o-line is improved but not enough, and the defense only got better with the addition of that DT from the Giants.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Like the post and agree with most of it except about the TE I think they will show up in a big way , They will need some experience and will get it soon ... They will be just fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast