RamWraith is offline Registered User

Looker Fights Hard On The Road Back

y Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/16/2008

Dane Looker is pleased that his career with the Rams isn't jeopardized by a rare medical condition. But he's unhappy that he apparently has been dropped far down the depth chart at wide receiver.

"I was fighting very hard to come back and play football," Looker said. "To be honest with you, I'm a little disappointed that it looks like my role's going to be highly diminished."

Looker, who started the first three games of the season, wasn't mentioned when coach Jim Haslett ran down his list of wideouts for Sunday's game against Dallas. That means that Looker could be among the inactives for the second consecutive week.

Looker sat out last week when a CAT scan taken after he suffered a concussion Sept. 28 against Buffalo revealed an abnormality in his brain. It has been diagnosed as a dolichoectatic (DOE-lee-co-eck-TA-tic) artery, which means that it is slightly larger and longer than normal.

His physician, Dr. Ralph Dacey of Washington University, said only 150 cases are known worldwide, Looker said.

"It's something that I'm going to have to monitor for the rest of my life," said Looker, who returned to practice Wednesday. "But it's nothing that's going to ever prevent me from playing football. I want to make that clear."

Doctors at first thought Looker might have an aneurysm, which is a localized widening of an artery or vein that could rupture. Looker said Dacey "doesn't want to label it as a aneurysm. It's basically a situation where one of the main arteries in the right size of my head is a little bigger and wider than the other side."

Looker said he'll have an MRI exam in six months "and then either every six months or every year from then on. ... (Dacey) said most likely the artery won't change in size and I'll live a normal life. He said in some instances, there's a chance for a brain hemorrhage or stroke.

"But that's a very, very, very limited chance, so it's not something I'm going to have to worry about every day."

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Looker Fights Hard On The Road Back

I don't know? If I was Looker I would get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion on this situation.

Truth is offline Registered User

Re: Looker Fights Hard On The Road Back

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I don't know? If I was Looker I would get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion on this situation.
    I completely agree. But he wants to play. He's driven. Did you read about that kid at Mesa University that had his pinky cut off so he could play right away (instead of having surgery to fix it)?
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!