RamWraith is offline Registered User

Looker still waiting for answers on brain abnormality

Saturday, Oct. 11, 2008

Stanley takes Looker's spot on roster
    BY STEVE KORTE - News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS -- Wide receiver Dane Looker's status is still in limbo as doctors attempt to determine the cause of an abnormality on his brain that was discovered during a CAT scan.

The concern is that Looker could have a brain aneurysm.

"We don't know for sure right now what it is," Looker said Friday. "I'm definitely not playing this week. We're going to take some more tests to see what it is."

Looker said he is going to meet with his doctor Tuesday.

"He's going to talk to some more doctors," he said. "I really don't have a diagnosis yet."

On Thursday, Looker underwent an angiogram, a test in which dye is injected into the femoral artery and then tracked all the way to the brain.

"Nothing conclusive," Rams coach Jim Haslett said of the test results. "We're going to talk to the doctor some more today and this week, and hopefully, come up with a conclusion early next week."

A "spot" was detected on Looker's brain during a CAT scan taken after Looker suffered a concussion Sept. 28 in a game against the Buffalo Bills. Team physician Matt Matava said the anomaly isn't related to the concussion.

Looker was on hand for practice Friday, but he didn't participate in any of the drills.

"I'm definitely not playing this week, but I'm hopeful about the future," he said.

Stanley promoted

With Looker out, wide receiver Derek Stanley has been promoted from the practice squad to the 53-man roster Friday.

Safety Brannon Condren, claimed off waivers from the Indianapolis Colts on Aug. 31, has been released to clear a roster for Stanley.

"I've been working all week in different packages and stuff in the offense, and it's finally here," Stanley said. "I didn't know for sure that it would happen. They had been telling me all week but nothing was ever official. Today, it was. I went upstairs and signed the papers."

The speedy Stanley could be used in the Rams' multiple-receiver sets and as a backup kickoff and punt returner.

"It's definitely exciting," Stanley said. "I want to be able to help and give the team a little spark. I'm always prepared. I feel like I can make some big plays and give this offense a little bit of juice if need be."

Stanley, a seventh-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, played in the Rams' final three games last season. He was used primarily as a kickoff returner, averaging 25.5 yards on 20 returns.

Rams veteran wide receiver Torry Holt said Stanley could provide a spark for the Rams.

"He's had an awesome (week of) practice," Holt said. "Stanley is probably one of the most athletic receivers that we have on our squad. Hopefully, he can go out on Sunday and make some plays for us and kind of get this thing turned around. With his youth and his athleticism, he can add some spunk to our offensive unit."

Quick hits

Cornerback Tye Hill (knee) has been ruled as out for the Rams' game against the Washington Redskins on Sunday.

That means Jason Craft, signed as a free agent on Sept. 24, will start opposite Ron Bartell at cornerback.

• Wide receiver Keenan Burton was listed as doubtful on the Rams' injury report. Burton, who is coming back from undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery, took part in position drills this week in practice. Burton said he was aiming to return to full action next week.

• Linebacker-defensive end Jason Taylor, who has a calf injury, was listed as probable on the Redskins' injury report. Taylor has 118 career sacks, the most of any active player.

• The over-under for the Rams' wins this season under Haslett is 2.5 wins, according to the betting Web site bodoglife.com.

21Forever21 Guest

Re: Looker still waiting for answers on brain abnormality

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    The concern is that Looker could have a brain aneurysm.
    Man, I hope not.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Let's hope Derek Stanley has an awesome game to follow the awesome week.

Anyone know what number he is?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    Let's hope Derek Stanley has an awesome game to follow the awesome week.

Anyone know what number he is?
    #19 Here's hoping tht #17 and #19 shock the Skins with big plays and tds tomorrow !!

GO RAMS !!!!!!